Good end of the year projects

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Apr 12, 2012.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Apr 12, 2012

Ok ... so I posted about academic contests and got one response that maybe it wasn't a good idea haha. SOOO would anyone have any suggestions on good end of the year projects? This is my first year in second and our curriculum is so dry I need help! These kids are so checked out and we still have 25 days left.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2012

I agree that some fun items this time of year can get them energized. 2nd grade and contests wouldn't be my favorite combination--although it might turn out okay.

I would suggest energizing the regular things you often do. For example, get really dramatic in correcting sentences in "grammar hospital". Wear a surgeon's mask and act like you are operating on the sentences. Let them get their "training on operating on sentences" so they can be surgeons too. Then present them with a license and a doctor's mask to operate on sentences. Grammar hospital has been around awhile, and I know when I taught 3rd grade, they loved it.

For geography, try using play-dough to make maps of whatever standards you are teaching. That can be a lot of fun and it easy for some parents to make and to have their child bring it into school.

Good luck!

4. jsais

jsais Rookie

Apr 13, 2012

I like to do readers theater at the end of the year. It keeps the kids reading, and it is highly motivating. You could even do easy costumes and have a performance (giving them something to work towards). In years past, I have also had an end of the year poetry reading, where the kids work on writing poetry, then we have a day performance where parents come in, and we set things up like a coffee shop poetry reading with snacks and all.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 13, 2012

I agree! Reader's theatre is a great way to spice up your language arts time. It helps students work on fluency in their reading.

I also really focused on writer's workshop - got out the gel pens and coloured paper for publishing. That really motivated them to write!

I have also had students write plays to perform. In math it's a good time to set up some centres and focus on those few remaining skills that are giving students trouble.

6. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Apr 13, 2012

I have never heard of Grammar Hospital. I am very interested! Is there anything else you can share? What do they do when they "operate"?

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2012

I have seen classes write letters to the incoming students next year describing what they do in that grade, how their teacher is and the fun part about being in that grade...

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 13, 2012

We do a big poetry unit and I know second grade does too. I was thinking of having the kids illustrate the poems in kid pics (or something) and record them reading their poems and then making a movie of it.

It can also be fun to make a book for the next class or even each kid make a book of things to know and inviting the "little" kids to your class and pair them with a big kid to read it to them and let them ask questions, etc...

We have a "bubble" day where the kids bring bubbles and chalk and spend the morning outside, have a class picnic, and then something fun in the afternoon.

Last year we had to make up a day and it was on Good Friday, we ended up doing an art rotation where each teacher did an art lesson with a different medium and the kids rotated to different classes. The kids were so excited with the novelty that they were really good!

We also do a class research project at the end of the school and make a display out of it. We do it with an ocean unit and each class in K chooses a different ocean animal to research, you could do it with different groups researching different animals or something.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 13, 2012

This is a fun idea! I have taught contractions using the surgeon theme. They have to surgically remove the letters the apostrophe replaces. Then they put the "scar" where the cut was made (the apostrophe).

Each pair gets a sentence strip with the two words written on it (e.g., they are). They cut it apart, cut out the appropriate letters, tape it back together and add the scar. (they're).

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 13, 2012

We always do an inspiration project at the end of the year. The kids take a picture of something on campus that inspires them and then writes about why and paints a version of it as well as making a collage of their picture. We mount the whole thing on posterboard.

We also did exit tickets on t-shirts last year. So they wrote a list of things they learned over the year with fabric markers on a t-shirt. That was another one they really enjoyed-having to think back to the different stories we read, vocab words they now know.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2012

In writing we have a big research project we work on. Math is a big project as well that encompasses many review pieces. Its fun for the students (in the beginning), but it also requires only a couple of actual teaching lessons over a few weeks time. So that is nice, they just work, no front of class teaching.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2012

Last year, I had my students work in groups to plan a dream vacation. I gave them specific parameters (budget, number of people, dates they must travel between, etc) and then they went to town. They researched flights, tourist attractions, dining options, etc. Each group created a PowerPoint presentation to "sell" their vacation package.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 14, 2012

Fun!! What a great way to integrate all of your curricular areas into one project.

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 14, 2012

I bust out my thematic units from college--all that hard work can be put to use again. Maybe you can revise a unit or two, and get creative, and still be productive with spelling word study, vocabulary review, revisit comprehension strategies, math concepts etc.

Poetry unit to end with a "poetry slam"
    Volcanoes
    Recycling
    Olympics...it's coming up this summer you know ;)
    Election...also coming up, premature maybe, but something they can learn the voting process or even why we vote
    I also did the Civil War, but that might be too old :)

Best wishes!

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 14, 2012

Oh my gosh how fun! Slap on the sunscreen and shades, and book me a flight to this lesson! Love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

Sounds like fun! My kids are creating a brand-new product to be used 100 years in the future. They have to write a proposal, build a model, write business letters, write a print advertisement for it, and then write and perform a commercial in class.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2012

That sounds fun, chebrutta! I may borrow that for the end of the year this year.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

This isn't really academic, but the very last week of school I plan on giving each kid a a few pictures of themselves taken throughout the idea (I'm always snapping pictures whether it be during a science experiment or field trip) and some cheap scrapbook materials and letting them create a collage/mini scrapbook. Our school doesn't do yearbooks so I thought it'd be a cute/fun idea for the end of the year. Lots of kids stop coming to school at the end of June, so maybe telling them about this will help improve our attendance.