Good days really do exist in the subbing world

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by TeachingHistory, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 20, 2011

I have one math/science teacher that I always go in for. His morning classes are VERY good. Saying his last period 7th grade class is a handful is an understatement. There are only 14 kids, but the first time I was in there it felt like there was 30 small children in there. I've been in there a lot since then, and we've bonded. One day the kids asked me why I was always in for their teacher, and I told them I liked them. They were floored. Any time I see them in the hallway they ask if they'll have me for math that day. Today I had to give them a test. They were bummed, not because they had a test, but because I wasn't teaching them math. In their words "Can you not give us the test and teach us something instead? We like it when you teach us!"

I love this class, despite the fact that I'm constantly after them for bickering, talking out, not following directions, etc. If we have a bad day, a good many of them will come up and apologize to me on the way out the door. I have way too much fun with them.

Today was the first I've seen them in a few weeks... didn't realize that I missed them! :wub: Just wanted to share...

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2011

Awwwwwww....

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Dec 20, 2011

That's great that you bonded with this difficult class. They probably don't hear that a teacher likes them very often.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2011

HOw heartwarming.

Very often, the difficult classes are the ones that touch your heart the most.

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 20, 2011

I've had two days this week of REALLY GOOD kids!!! I've had a tone of teachers come up to me and tell me how it's such a bad week to be a sub. What's weird is I think my last two days have been two of the best of the entire year!

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 21, 2011

That's a great story, TeachingHistory. I agree with the others that the difficult classes can sometimes be the most rewarding when you create that bond with them.

I had a difficult group earlier in the year when I subbed for their teacher several times. Not only was this group more difficult than the others, they were at a different school that had Block schedules instead of regular classes, so I had them for 90 minutes instead of 50. :eek: The first couple of days were kinda rough, but we got along alright. By the third day, we had started bonding fairly well and I had told the principal how good the class was behaving (overall). She told me if they behaved well that day (a Friday), she would give the whole class a reward! I told the class about that and also told them *I* would reward them as well. If they would give me 60 minutes of productive time, I would let them have the last 30 minutes as "free time". It was a computer class and the regular teacher had left a note in her instructions that they could have this "free time" if they worked well during the first 2/3 of the class. Those kids were literally good as gold, even during the free time!!! I made it a point to track the principal down after class (it was the last class of the day) and tell her how good the kids had behaved.

I haven't been back to that group for a couple of months now, but happened to see one of the students in a store this past week. She gave me a big smile and wanted to know when I was going to be their sub again.

Those are the moments that make teaching the best job in the world. :thumb:

8. snapples

snapples Rookie

Dec 24, 2011

What a great story! It is so nice to be appreciated as a sub and not just taken for granted!

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 13, 2012

I was in for this class today again. One of the kids challenged me to a rap duel activity period. I told him no, I wasn't writing him a pass for that, I'd have to take a raincheck.

I love those kids.

10. Wifey/DogMom

Wifey/DogMom Rookie

Jan 15, 2012

I've actually had mostly positive experiences subbing more than negative. I have subbed sixth grade A LOT and the kids already know me. They broke out in grins when they saw me and said "Yes, we have the cool sub!" I really can't tell you how attached I am to some of them. I also have elementary come up and give me hugs (I work another job) saying things like "Are you coming again soon teacher?". I even manage to get respect from high school students. I can get them to do their work, laugh with them, and have few discipline problems. The one exception would be one of the first high school classes I subbed. However, I attribute this problem more to the teacher being disorganized. She left NOTHING on what the students were supposed to do. I had to improvise and well that was one really bad day of teaching.

I found my strategy of having the rolling chair up-front near the class works well, and I walk around of course. I also answer questions the best I can (I can answer most, except for math that goes beyond basic math!). I am really surprised how much satisfaction teaching gives me, and I like feeling in authority.

There are still some awesome sweet kids out there.