Good Classroom Plants

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms. CTP, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Ms. CTP

Ms. CTP Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday I dug through half of my new room (hooray :) !) and lo and behold I discovered a beautiful wall of windows. Can you guys recommend easy to care for plants? I'll have lots of sunlight, but I'm also in Chicago where the weather varies. Last year all I managed to not kill was my table of cactuses :p .

Thanks in advance,
    C

3. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I live in central WI so I know weather can be a problem but last year I took a geranium and it bloomed all winter long and now that I've had it home and back outside it's still doing great. I plan on taking it back again this fall. I also had an African Violet that did well. Philodendron or pathos plants are great and very hard to kill. They can even go without water for a while. Mother-in-law's tongue is another great one and grows very tall. Umbrella plant. Jade plant. All are very good.

4. Ms. CTP

Ms. CTP Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Thanks so much ctopher! I just saw these cute little African violet plants at my local grocery store the other day for only $3.00! I'll have to go back and get one :)

5. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I have Wandering Jew. I have had it for 6 years. I break off a start for each child during our plant unit. It grows very fast and with so little care.

In January a very fun plant is amaryllis. It grows almost before your eyes. It makes a great measuring lesson. I measured mine with blocks and graphed it everyday.

Brenda

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2006

Sweet Potato

Philodendrons, Ivy and Wondering Jew are always winners.

I always put a dowel stick in along the side of my Amaryllis because they get so tall they fall over. The blossom is beautiful. After it blooms I cut it off, it will grow again and it will bloom again. I have had one for three years.

I always buy a Poinsettia around Christmas. They are so inspiring and add a bit of holiday cheer. They don't last long.

It is fun to grow a Sweet Potato in water. Use a clear glass container so the students can watch the roots grow. Sweet potatoes have pretty leaves.

Take a piece of celery one that has some leaves on it. Cut it straight across the bottom. Cut in from the bottom going to the top about half way. Take two glasses or jars of water, add red food coloring to make the water deep red. In the other glass add blue food coloring to make the water deep blue. Put half the stem in the red water and the other in the blue water. It is fun to watch the water go up the cells to the leaves. If you take the celery out of the water you will see the pin size colored dots, which are the cells.

Plants make a room healthy. Plants go home over summer.

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I have a spider plant that does great in my room. I also have a few others mentioned above, 2 pathos, that are also doing well. I love having the plants, it seems to help mellow things out.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

Last year, I started with two plants, a jade plant (which I managed to kill before Christmas break) and an aloe vera plant, which is still going strong. I would recomend it, it seems to be very hearty, and I had it in a spot where it did not get any real sunshine, and I tend to be kind of flaky about watering.

9. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I just went to school yesterday. The summer school teacher did not water any of my plants. I guess I will have to start with new ones in the fall.:(

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

I have a plant that I just CAN'T kill. It's great... he wilts when he's thirsty and perks back up when I wanter him. His name is George. ;) I can't remember what kind of plant he is, though... i'll ask my mom and post back when I figure it out.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

clarnet - I love that you named your plant! I should do that this year, because my kids kept asking for classroom pets last year, but I just wont do that. Maybe naming the plant would help a little!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2006

I have a snake plant...http://newcrop.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/flowers/Snake91.htm and it is growing quite tall, needs little water.
    I have an ivy that is going crazy and a little pine tree plant that is growing like crazy and a rather large palm house plant that cost 1.00 several years ago and is doing great! The kids leave them alone and help watering them(misting them with a spray bottle.) Spider plants are incredibly easy to grow. I water all of them once a week. We have harsh winters here, too.

13. Ms. CTP

Ms. CTP Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

You guys are great! Thanks so much!!

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2006

Steph ernie, Someone posted that they had a stuffed animal as their class pet. She had them do neat writing lessons. Example: What did George do over the week-end. What does George want for Christmas? What did George get for his birthday? She had some neat topics. So maybe you can have two class pets.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

hescollin, that's a great idea too! The problem is that one of the 3rd grade teachers at my school has several class pets (the living kind), so they are somewhat disapointed when they get to my room without any pets. I have a hard enough time keeping plants alive though, I'm not brave enough to take on pets!

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2006

Live pets are alot of work and I think they make a room stink. You just can't clean often enough. I'd rather do hands on science experiements. Plants make a room healthy.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2006

Fish? I have a frog that requires clean water once a week or maybe or two...eats worms, very easy and the kids love him. But, if you're not into it, don't get a pet because your attitude will rub off onto the kids if you don't like it.Plants are just great...get lots of them and the kids won't even think about a pet anymore. Call it your plant family and have the kids get involved. I asked for flowers/plants this summer from the parents and got lots of things...even seeds to plant outside. Get everyone involved in the plant thing!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

OK, word from Mom is that George is a Pathos. He's supereasy to take care of... the young ones can even grow in a water bottle until they grow some good roots. They wilt when they're thirsty and perk back up when you water them.

19. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 20, 2006

Materials: 1 knee high pantyhose foot/student ----soil
    -----rye grass seeds (can get at any nursery-cheap)----string----mugs ---variuos beads, toothpicks, etc. to decorate grass heads Procedure:
    Drape the foot of the pantyhose into a mug, folding the top edges around the rim of the mug to hold the hose in place. Drop a generous amount of rye seeds in the bottom of the hose. Top with enough soil to make a small ball, the size of a tennis ball. Take the pantyhose off the mug and shake until the soils falls all the way to the bottom of the hose. Gather the top of the panty hose and tie with string to form a ball. Cut off any extra pantyhose. Put the grass heads in a shallow container and water generously. Continue to water daily until the grass hair begins to grow. After the hair has grown, the kids can decorate the heads with beads, toothpicks for earrings, etc. The cutest thing...you can gather a small portion of soil, tie w/ string, forming a small ball for the nose. This is hard to visualize, but they are really cute!

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

Hehe, we made those during my student teaching... my kids LOVED watching them grow and giving them "haircuts." They sit really nicely in baby food jars.

21. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

My Chocoloate Mint plant and Catnip lived on Diet Mountain Dew all semester!

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 24, 2006

What if you don't have any outside windows? Am I stuck with only fake plants?

23. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2006

Use grow light bulbs. I've seem at Wal Mart and Home Store.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2006

I have Bamboo plant at home...its a hearty plant. It's in bathroom where there isn't a lot of natural sun,but I think it can have sun or not. Watering is great since it likes to be submersed...water every couple of weeks or so!!!

25. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

I have a Chinese Evergreen that my mom says really doesn't need sunlight. Mine is on my dining room table which doesn't get much natural sunlight in my apartment. It grows in a small jar of water. :)

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2006

I would do something in an aquarium with lights and lots of water plants or even do a terrarium with artificial light. Get creative.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 24, 2006

thanks! I'll have to go plant shopping...of course, I need to ask for some furniture to put a plant on. RIght now I have a closet, a teachers desk and 25 student desks and nothing else. LOL.

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2006

This is off topic, but...

I had a huge ivy named George when I first started teaching. About that time, my husband had a huge ivy named George. Ten years after the Georges, my husband and I meet. :p