Good classroom pets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Jun 24, 2008.

1. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 27, 2008

We used to get hermit crabs every year when we went to the beach. It was the thing I most looked forward to as a kid on vacation. They never lasted too long...probably because we never got proper instruction on how to care for them.

My sister and cousin were a little more daring with their hermit crabs than I was. One time my cousin gave hers a KISS and it clamped on to her lip. It hung there for almost an hour before the darn thing fell off. My aunt was about to take her to the emergency room!

Yes...only in my family :LOL:

2. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2008

Tee hee! I just posted an ad on Craigslist saying that I was a teacher and wanted to get a couple of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches donated to my classroom. I got a reply from a lady that lived about 1 hour south of me in about a day. She donated them to me since she had so many. :)

As far as infestation goes, I do not take them out at home. My hubby has strict rules on that one. He doesn't like the fact that they are in our home, but he says as long as I don't take them out, it's tolerable for now. I keep them in a tall and long fish tank. The length of it is more important than the height. I put Vaseline all around the top perimeter of the tank. When they climb up and reach the Vaseline, they just slide back down. :p The Vaseline is about an inch long. I also have a lid to place on top of the tank that has tons of air holes. You can find those at any pet store.

I placed aspen shavings down in the bottom. Never use cedar. If they are really small, you'll have to get a "water pillow" for them to drink from because they could drown in the water dish. Otherwise, just fill a peanut butter lid with water. Mine eat parakeet food, which they love. I also give them fresh cut carrots as well and sometimes a slice of fresh orange cut and peeled. :) They go ga-ga for carrots.

3. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jun 27, 2008

I haven't had one, but I remember my science teacher had one when I was in middle school. His name was sonic. We never really saw him though. I think they're nocturnal. I do remember coming in after school and he would have sonic rolling around in a ball.

4. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

How about crayfish?

I have had crayfish for two years. They are very easy to take care of and the students are endlessly fascinated. Also we have learned about molting, swimmerettes, pincers, antennae, etc., etc.

5. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

Forgot to say, I have had hamsters, a guinea pig, hermit crabs, and garden snakes, but so far crayfish are the best. I found out I was allergic to guinea pigs after I got it. Had it for two years and gave it away to a parent. It was a great pet for the kids, though, they loved it.

6. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Jun 27, 2008

I would love to see the pics

7. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Jun 28, 2008

I OWN a tortoise. He's not for the classroom. Main difference is turtles are aquatic, tortoises are not. It was $$$ to get him. He visited my room once last year. He needs heat lamps and is a vegetarian (big plus for me). Oh, and most people picture something the size of a small dog, but he fits in my hands. He's about 5 inches across. He's a Russian tortoise.

I'm thinking about getting fish or hermit crabs. My science teacher has taken care of hermit crabs and kept them alive, so I will learn from her.

8. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

One day, way back in 2003, I was driving down a busy road with my sister Liz. Suddenly, she spotted a turtle walking slowly across the middle of the street. Liz pulled off the side of the road and rescued the turtle.
    When I began teaching in 2007, Liz gave the turtle to me and I named him Dribble after the turtle in the Judy Blume book Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.
    Dribble has brought my students and me nothing but happiness ever since. It's hard to believe that I have had him for over 3 years! He eats earthworms and fruit. Dribble usually vacations with students over Thanksgiving, Spring Break, and the summer. He loves each morning when the class comes in and says, "Hi" to him!

9. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

Here is a pic of him with a former student of mine! :)

[​IMG]

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2008

These kinds of cockroaches are HUGE- like 2-3 inches long. They are not regular cockroaches (yuck!) If one got loose, hopefully you'd catch it.[​IMG]

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2008

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'd REALLy have to adjust to that. But, the kids would LOVE it!

12. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Jun 28, 2008

Wow! I am so impressed about the cockroaches as a class pet. I could NEVER do it. When I lived in my apartment last year I would always freak out when I found them. It still freaks me out just thinking about it!

I remember when I was in first grade, we had a pet tarantula. That was pretty crazy!

My class pet right now is a leopard gecko. They are very easy to take care of, and all the kids loved her. Many of them were freaked out to hold her, but by the end of the year so many could and they were so proud of that! I would definitely recommend one to anyone. My kids (though 5th grade) took care of her, I did nothing! She eats mealworms, and now crickets. Has anyone heard of the mealworm shortage that is going on right now? How crazy is that?

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2008

I love the way they look -- almost like trilobites!

I definitely will look into getting these for my classroom :)

14. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 28, 2008

My MHC's have mites right now. :( Poor guys. I have to go buy new bedding for them Monday. Mites are common when dealing with larger colonies or if you don't change their bedding when you are supposed to. Now, I'll have to put them in a temporary tank while I clean and spray their normal home. When MHC's get mites, you put them in a baggie with a little flour and gently shake it. The mites will fall off. Then, you can put the MHC's back. Spray gently with water to get the flour off. The mites don't hurt the roaches, but they get annoying to look at.