Good Classroom Management Books

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by stody2, Jul 9, 2008.

1. stody2

stody2 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I'm looking for a good classroom management book to read over the summer with some positive approaches to discipline. I'm more interested in reading about dealing with discipline issues than organization. Does anyone have any great books they've read (aside from Harry Wong First Days of school and the ultimate guide to middle school teaching)?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I like Randy Sprick's CHAMPs: A Proactive Guide to Behavior Management, and Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching. They, along with Wong, believe in being organized and consistent.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I second Tools for Teaching and The First Days of School. I also liked Seven Simple Secrets: What the Best Teachers Know And Do by Annette L. Breaux and Todd Whitaker. Lots of AtoZers also recommend Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and David Funk.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2008

I got a lot of practical advice from Benjamin Mahle (Power Teaching). I actually liked the 2nd book better than the first but he gives insight into classroom management from a teacher who spent many years in the classroom. This is not a heavy, research oriented writing - it's good practical advice.

6. stody2

stody2 Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I bought every single book suggested today on Amazon. I can't believe how helpful the teachers on this site are!

7. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Ok, I am going to reveal what a nerd I am. I have read or skimmed so many books on classroom managment that I can't even list them! I do this best in my local Barnes and Noble with a white chocolate mocha in hand. My DH is so patient with me!

Some books can be repetitive or offer solutions that just don't fit my personality. I have found that combing through the books myself in store I can better tell which ones "fit" me and those are the ones I take home and read cover to cover.

8. MrL

MrL Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I got my best advice from Harry Wong's How to Be a Super Successful Teacher tape set. It's a little expensive, so I used the public library.

9. KMInfinity

KMInfinity New Member

Jul 16, 2008

Has anyone read Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains by LouAnne Johnson? (She's the teacher whose life was depicted in the movie Dangerous Minds.) I have it in my cart at Amazon, but haven't ordered yet. the reviews are excellent but I've been burnt by "mostly 5 star" Amazon reviews before.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

I got this book with my Borders Bucks last week. I haven't started reading it yet, but one of my friends has. She says it's a quick read. As a 15 year veteran, much of the information is geared toward new teachers but it is good to have reminders of some of the things we have forgotten about.

11. mcomas

mcomas Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

7th ELA interview.....Help!

Hello everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can give me some advice. I am a new grad and just passed Generalist Ec-4 and 4-8 exams as well as sped......needless to say that I am now in pursuit of a teaching job. I am really hoping for a middle school position. I have an interview for 7th grade Lang. arts position and want to do my best because this is the position I have been waiting for. I have interviewed for a few other positions and don't feel that I did well so I want to be very prepared for this 7th grade position. I have worked with the sped department as a teacher's assistant, but never in middle school so any advice would help...

Thanks

12. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I heartily recommend Power Teaching (from Power Teachers of America). Check for free downloadable resources HERE. Check HERE for my blog on the steps to become a Power Teacher.

Check HERE for videos that will give you a small taste of Power Teaching.

13. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

Day One and beyond by Rick Wormeli. It is great - geared for middle schoolers, a very easy read, and full of examples and practical suggestions. I used a lot of his ideas in my classroom -- I really like them. I got it as a download on my computer. Good luck!

14. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Has anyone found Tools for Teaching without ordering it? I would like to buy it in a store but Borders doesn't have it.

15. stepka

stepka Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I just read thru the downloadable materials this am. Wow, that sounds like something I can really use, even as a substitute teacher. I never could bring myself to agree with the reward/penalty system, so this was like a breath of fresh air, and I can't wait to get in and try it. How long have you been using this?

16. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I used Power Teaching last year, and found it so fun and effective that I became a trainer.

Check my website HERE for step by step instructions on becoming a Power Teacher. Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

17. stepka

stepka Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Thanks Powerteacher--that's one of the websites I was looking at. What a great format. I loved the idea of the superspeed 1000 reading list too--I'm going to tuck that into my super sub bag o' tricks. I loved all of the reading ideas--you're not bribing the kids, which is something I consider counterproductive, b/c the kids figure if you have to bribe them, it must be something they won't want to do. I'm really excited about this program--I grew up with a raging case of inattentive ADD, and it really would have helped me I think. None of the kids looked like they were in la-la land like I used to, LOL.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Is there any way to download the power teacher super speed reading if you have a mac? It downloads in a zip document and I can't open those.

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

nevermind, it worked:)