Good Books for First Grade

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ready2teachintx, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 18, 2012

Can anyone recommend any good books for read alouds to the students? I m interested in thematic units, NF, etc. etc..(all subjects):thanks:

3. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jun 19, 2012

My students have been completely captivated by the Magic Tree House series written by Mary Pope Osborne. They are fascinating chapter books about siblings that are teleported to different time periods or events in history. There is also a nonfiction pair it book .
    This series is used Latter part of the school year.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 19, 2012

Mine also love the Magic Tree House series - usually, I read one each month, but during the last half of the year, my "higher" kiddos tend to read them as well.

The first chapter book I read to my students is Junie B. Jones, First Grader (at last). They absolutely love it! Around late October, my higher kiddos also begin reading these books.

I read tons of books to my students. During the first week, here are a few:
    The Night Before First Grade
    First Grade Jitters
    Chrysanthemum
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    The Incredible Book Eating Boy
    Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
    A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue
    A Bad Case of Stripes
    I Like Myself
    Giraffes Can't Dance
    Ish
    Wemberly Worried
    Max's Words
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very Bad Day
    Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10
    The Juice Box Bully
    Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal

As I said, that's just a few... I let my kiddos know that I love to read, and hope that by reading a lot of different books to them, I can foster a love of reading in them as well! Most of these have a moral or lesson, lol.

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 19, 2012

We read a lot of the Magic Tree House. Sometimes, Junie B Jones, but for the most part, the boys didn't like it. The last few weeks of school we began reading the Wayside School books. They are so funny, and most of my students understood the jokes and if not, we talked about them. We read lots of books, but I always read a chapter book for my scheduled read aloud time.

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 19, 2012

pwhatley- I love your list, and that's just the first week? Do you have a weekly list for the school year? If so, would you mind sharing? :help:
    I've also been wondering about good chapter books for 1st grade. When do you begin reading them, how long each day do you read from the chapter books, how many chapter books do you read for the year?
    Sorry readytoteach not trying to hijack, just have some of the same questions/interests. :)

7. ready2teachintx

Jun 20, 2012

Thanks so much! Great list:thumb: I plan to try to read a chapter per day after recess/lunch or before dismissal time. I have some Judy Moody Books, Raedy Freddy (for the boys) and Junie B. but I plan to expand my list.

Also, I would like to read a short book daily that will go with our theme or unit of study. Hopefully, this is appropriate. Any thoughts?

8. ready2teachintx

Jun 20, 2012

Thanks PW! Great list:)

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 20, 2012

That's actually the first couple of weeks, lol. I do a lot of read alouds - almost every Keven Henkes, Patricia Polacco, of course the Junie B & Magic Tree House. I read something to my kiddos every day. Unfortunately, I do not have a written list - I probably should make one!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 20, 2012

When we're on chapter books, I read a minimum of 1 chapter per day. Some of the Junie B. chapters go really quickly, so I get to sneak in two on some days :)