good book to read

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by smile, Jul 11, 2007.

1. smile

smile Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I am interested in reading something for the rest of the summer. I was wondering if you have any recommendations on good books to read? It doesn't matter what kind story it is as long its interesting. Any suggestions?

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

Hi Smile,

Have you read Wicked, the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West or Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire? These are so interesting.

Have fun reading :)
    Shelly

4. smile

smile Companion

Jul 11, 2007

No, i haven't read them. I will check it out and start reading. Thanks for sharing :) :thanks:

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

I'm obsessed with reading-I just go to the library and end up with so many books I can barely carry them all. I just graduated college and I'm taking the summer off to just relax and do whatever I want to do before I start teaching next month. I really like James Patterson and Jude Deveraux, along with all kinds of romance novels. Lately I've been going to the new book section and just seeing what looks interesting. I find some great books that way!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

I really like Dean Koontz, especially his newer stuff. I can plow through the books in a day or two, they're always action-packed with great characterization, and they're just plain good.

I'd start with Life Expectancy or Odd Thomas (the first Odd Thomas, not Forever Odd or Brother Odd... you have to read them in order!)

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I loved Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister! I haven't read Wicked yet ~ but some of my family saw the play and absolutely adored it! I'll have to check out the book!

8. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I just finished The other Boleyn Girl by philippa gregory- loved it and I usually can't get into historical fiction books.
    The namesake by jhumpa lahiri was interesting
    The glass castle by jeannette walls was a fast read but a bit sad
    Right now i'm reading 19 minutes- it's okay but basically the same as all her other stuff.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

I used to love Jodi Picoult but couldn't get into Tenth Circle. I like Anita Shreve and just finished Wedding in December.

Has anyone read the series #1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith? They are hysterical. I just finished In the Company of Cheerful Ladies, the latest in the series.

Uphill Walkers by Madeline Blais
    Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Any titles by Elizabeth Berg

10. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Anything by Phillipa Gregory is AMAZING! Start with The Other Boleyn Girl. Incredible.

I also just read Second Chance by Jane Green. It was a great story; I especially loved all of the characters.

If you can get a copy, try In a Temple of Trees by Suzanne Hudson. It was my favorite book that I read in college. It's based on a true story.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is also an interesting read. If you've seen the movie, Capote, it's along the same lines, but much better in print.

Can you tell I was an English major in college? Haha. Hope I helped!!

11. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I LOVE the "Odd" series! I hope he writes more!

Fern Michaels is another good author if you want a book that's an easy read. I usually read hers when I want a good book that I don't have to think about too much. James Patterson and Jonathan Kellerman are also good writers.

12. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Jul 12, 2007

"In Cold Blood" is based on the Clutter murders in Holcomb, KS. My hometown is Lakin, KS which is about 15 miles away from Holcomb. Back in high school when our football team would play Holcomb's, we'd drive down the long, tree-lined driveway of the Clutter house trying to scare one another. My brother actually attended school in Holcomb as they have a better Special Ed program than Lakin. It's a small world...

13. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 12, 2007

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is really good and it's very unique. It just won the Pulitzer Prize and it's one of Oprah's book club books. Let me know if you decide to read it.

14. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I've actually been trying to read juvenile literature so I can find some good read alouds. If you're interested, I'm reading The Sisters Grimm series which has gotten very high recommendations. =)

I also bought WICKED and plan on reading it when school starts.

15. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

I LOVE the Odd Thomas stories by Dean Koontz. I also like The Road, The Secret Life of Bees, The Poisonwood Bible, anything by Alice Hoffman, The Education of Little Tree, and The Time Traveler's Wife. I just finished reading The Painted Veil, and it was excellent! Alittle different from the movie, but okay. I want to read The Visitation, by Frank Perletti (spelling?) when I can find it at the library. My daughter and I went to the library tonight, and we came home with 10 books between us! That will probably last us until Monday or Tuesday! In Young Adult stories, the best I have read lately is titled "As Simple as Snow". It was so good I could not put it down!

16. smile

smile Companion

Jul 12, 2007

:D Thanks. All of these sound very interesting. I wrote down the names of your suggestion. I will definitely hit the library and check them out. I guess i'll be reading throughout the school year and not just the rest of the summer.

17. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I have been reading like crazy since I got out of school. I love to read "chick lit." Some of my favorites are by Sophie Kinsella. She wrote the Shopoholic series and I LOVE it! All of her books are great.