Good Book for First Day of School

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mindy5203, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mindy5203

mindy5203 New Member

Jul 20, 2010

I am looking for a good book for the first day of school and there are a TON of books that talk about going to Kindergarten. Does anyone have a suggestion/favorite?

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

The teachers in my school read The Kissing Hand and give the kids a hershey kiss to take home to mom. I'm 5th grade and read First Day Jitters.

4. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

The Kissing Hand for sure! Best one out there, i read the ones more specific to K over the following few days.

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten of course!:)

6. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Kevin Knows the Rules!

"Kevin knows the rules" is my favorite! Pefect, easy way to introduce your class rules. I also like Kissing hand, of course~

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

I always used Chrysanthemum. I do a lot of work with names the first week so that fits right it. It always amazes me, they still remember it, even at the end of the year! :)

I also love a "Place Called Kindergarten"-the boy lives on a farm and says he's going to Kindergarten and the animals all try to guess what that is.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I went to the library and checked out The Kissing Hand, Miss Bindergarten goes to Kindergarten, Chrysanthemum (thanks ladies for the ideas!)

And I also stumbled across Hands Can by Cheryl Willis Hudson (thought this would be great for talking about rules and all the things our Hands Can do.)

As well as another book called What Can You Do. Thought this would be good to get the kids talking and realizing that there's a lot that they can do and in school we will learn together to do so much more!

(I'm excited about my first day!! August 4th)

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

good luck!

10. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

I just found a new book I am going to read at least on Open House ( we have our's before school starts) and it is "First Day Jitters"! ~ It goes through the whole book telling of "sally" who doesn't want to go to school.... at the end, it turns out "sally" is the teacher! LOL

Also, if you take a mouse to school is always fun!

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

I love Chrysanthemum and Miss Bindergarten. I am going to find the "Place called Kindergarten" one about the farm boy, it sounds adorable! Thanks for the ideas!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

13. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I was also going to do the Kissing Hand on the first day. After the book, the kids are going to dip their hands in paint or ink (probably ink -would have an easier clean-up) and put handprint on paper. We will glue on a heart when they dry - and also a poem I found on a website about the first day of school. It will be a great keepsake for parents! If you google The Kissing Hand activities, there are a lot of cute ideas + the poem I found. :)