good book and activity for the first day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Aug 27, 2010.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

I would like to know what you guys do on the first day. Last year i did the kissing hand.

Thanks
    dana:)

3. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I did the kissing hand too this year.

However, i did an activity on the first day and I dont think I will do that again. It was too crazy and I noticed alot of kids dumping toys and not playing with others. The rest of the first week we read different books at circle time, but then I just let the students have free play and I observed them and got to know them. I taught the students to play with different toys and the rules of the classroom. I think activities at first are cute, but they are alot of work.

4. Emilyrsps

Emilyrsps Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

I did "The Kissing Hand" this year! I have also done "Wemberly Worried" by Kevin Henkes

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2010

I'm doing Froggy Goes to School the first day because I love funny books and the sense of humor of 4 and 5 year olds. They love doing the flip flop and, of course, the underwear. I find the Kissing Hand sings more for the parents than the kids and sometimes reminds them they should be upset after I have already calmed them down. I might do it later in the week.

6. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

I am going to read Llama Llama misses mama, this year instead of the kissing hand.

7. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Sep 7, 2010

I usually do the Kissing Hand but when I read it today the kids did not seem very interested. Maybe with my classes tomorrow I will read something silly to get their attention like, "No David". Story time in the begining is always tought.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 8, 2010

I'm a big fan of Minerva Louise At SChool. It's silly, but it's at the right level of silliness for 3's and 4's that they "get" the humor. Minerva Louise is a chicken, and she wanders off and finds a building that SHE thinks is a fancy barn but is really a school. She's thrilled to find all the things there she's used to seeing... nesting boxes (cubbies), an egg (baseball in a glove), pig pen (blocks), a milking pail (trash can) etc. I like reading each page, then having the kids tell me what it REALLY is, then getting a volunteer or two to go show us where those things are in OUR classroom.