Good Behavior Parties

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by chitownteach, Jan 30, 2010.

1. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Jan 30, 2010

I've been holding good behavior parties for the last few months and the kids who don't earn it have absolute tantrums. What should I do with the kids who don't get to partake in the party?

Do you have any suggestions that they will actually do? ...practice worksheets were thrown across the room last month, so I don't want to try that again.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2010

It seems as though that would be a foregone conclusion-- that the kids who don't behave well under normal circumstances won't behave well when being left out of a party.

I don't know what the circumstances are-- naturally, in high school we don't have good behavior parties.

But I would re-think the whole good-behavior party thing, or rework it. Those kids who have trouble behaving are almost certain to misbheave under these conditions, and that's NOT the way you want them to approach their schoolwork.

4. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Jan 30, 2010

I know...I'm at a loss. I want to reward the good kids who never act up. All the teachers at my school do this and they all have the same tantrum problems. One thing that has come out of the good behavior parties is that I have seen a drastic change in about 5 of my students. This month only 4 kids will not attend the party.

Not the biggest fan of this kind of reward system...but unfortunately it works.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2010

I'm not sure I agree.

The kids who behave poorly are throwing worksheets across your room. THEY'RE the ones you're trying to reach.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 30, 2010

When I taught elementary, we had a school-wide good behavior party once a week. Those kids got extra recess and a treat. the other students stayed in the classroom.

7. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jan 30, 2010

Here's a few suggestions...

1. Just having the kids who cannot participate sit quietly should be punishment enough for them. If you can get them to do worksheets, cool, but I wouldn't really expect much from them except to sit there or read a book, or something.

2. If it is the same 4 kids who don't make it every time, you might want to lower the expectations for those kids to make the party. Once they start earning the party, slowly start raising the expectations for them, until they can make it with the same expectations that are required of the others. I know it sounds a bit "counter productive" but think of it as teaching someone to ride a bike. Some kids can just get on the bike and ride almost instantly, and others need lots of help, instructions, and need to take it one step at a time. It can be the same with kids who constantly misbehave. Take it one step (or one behavior) at a time. It WILL get better.

Good luck.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2010

I'm not a fan of this idea either. In my class, we do a marble jar, and work AS A CLASS toward a "party" goal. Every time someone is doing something outstanding, they put a marble in the jar. No one is excluded from the party. Of course, I do teach preschool.

However, if your plan is to stick with excluding those that don't earn the party, maybe you could team with another teacher, and one of you take all of the partiers, while another takes all of the excluded kids. And do some social skills lessons with those kids, because they probably need it.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jan 31, 2010

I'm not a fan of good behavior parties (or most external reward "carrots"). That being said, what if you used the time to brainstorm with the kids who can't make it. Have them come up with behavior goals, how good behavior looks/feels/sounds, etc. If your main goal is to get all students to have good behavior and they aren't making it, maybe something like that will give them the scaffolding to succeed.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 31, 2010

Do you know WHY those four kids are misbehaving? I'm thinking the issues are more deep-rooted than a good-behavior party could fix. Maybe anger issues? Home life lissues? Could you work in a small group with them to try and resolve these issues?

I'm only guess from your forum name that you're in Chicago, and I'm also guessing that maybe these children need more than parties to motivate them?

11. chitownteach

chitownteach Rookie

Jan 31, 2010

This will be the last good behavior party and I'll concentrate on the whole class goal parties from now on.

Yes Jem, I work in the city. The 4 kids who need way more than parties to motivate them.

My school does the green light system throughout primary, so I think I'll reward the kids who stay on green all week with tickets to buy prizes at the classroom store. At least this way way they still earn something for their awesome behavior.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 16, 2010

I do a whole-class reward, which we work towards together.

I also started a new thing this month. If a child has to write in their behavior folder 2 times or less per month, they get to eat lunch with me in our classroom. I'm having a girl lunch and a boy lunch, so that our lunch table doesn't consist solely of the kids who misbehaved all month. My main focus was to reward the kids who are always behaving well. I have never had behavior problems with about 2/3 of my class. It's the same 1/3 every time, and those poor well-behaved kids are tired of putting up with them!