Good 4th grade books

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Mr. Chandler, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Mr. Chandler

Mr. Chandler Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I just learned that I am going to be a first-year teacher at a charter school in Phoenix, AZ. I am trying to get a modest-but-workable classroom library started and was wondering what some really good books would be for 4th grade. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

Books by Andrew Clements, Sharon Creech, Lois Lowry, Beverly Cleary, Louis Sachar, Karen Hesse, Jerry Spinelli, Mildred Taylor, Gary Paulsen, and Jean Craighead George may get you started. Newbery books are musts, too... and non-fiction is always important.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 24, 2007

Ditto! These are some great authors for 4th grade. My class was glued to Hatchet by Gary Pausen. Non-fiction is very important. I would also suggest to have some titles that are above and below 4th grade to accommodate all reading levels. It makes lower-level readers feel cared about when they go to your shelf and find something they can read independently. On the other end of the spectrum, your more fluent readers will become conquers of the upper level things. Mine actually watched to see when someone finished Touching the Spirit Bear (sorry-forgot author) so they could ask them for it. Stone Fox is another great read aloud. I also cry at the climax, but it has a triumphal ending.

5. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

i also love roald dahl books. he is funny and introduces new vocab and reuses it, so that my kids pick up and retain new vocab words.
    he's my favorite children's author.

6. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I would add Judy Blume to that list. I always start the year with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and then my kids love reading the other Fudge books on their own.

For nonficiton, Seymour Simon and Gail Gibbons are great!

7. carobar

carobar New Member

Jul 24, 2007

My all time favorite is Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It is a great read aloud. The Great Turkey Walk is hilarious. Also well loved are The Year of Miss Agnes, Sarah, Plain and Tall and Stone Fox.

8. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Frindle, Tuck Everlasting, Shiloh, and The Westing Game are all great books that I use with my fourth grade students.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

The Phantom Tollbooth is definitely in my top three of all time. It's truly hilarious. It's a little beyond some students' grasp of literacy at 4th grade... but some kids certainly can get into it. :woot:

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2007

I also love Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - Shiloh series, Cat Pack Series, Anastasia, and others.

11. yoda

yoda Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

more good reads

I love reading Bunnicula with the class around Halloween. This then gets them hooked into more Bunnicula books by Deborah and James Howe. I also like The Shadow Children Series by Margaret Haddix. The first one is called Among the Hidden. I read this during read aloud time. With my higher level students, another book in the series was read. My students also loved Gary Paulsen books. Don't forget about Roald Dahl books!