Gonna Teach 3rd Grade!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by murdock, May 16, 2007.

1. murdock

murdock New Member

May 16, 2007

I'm new here and this looks like a great place for "new teacher" advice. I need a lot of that! :) I live in NC, but got a job teaching third grade in Georgia next year. I'm so excited! The thing is that I've been a teacher assistant in 1st and K for the last 3 years and just got my teaching degree. I'm confident that I can help my class succeed in 3rd, but haven't taught 3rd before. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what I will need to provide in my room for that age. I will be in a mobile (been there, done that) and so space will be very limited. I know that I need to have plenty of books for a classroom library. What else do I need? When I look at online sights I see so much stuff! What are some things that you guys have found to be really great in your rooms? Thanks!

3. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 16, 2007

Hi, please browse the topics under new teachers. I have found so many great ideas. I'm currently a Teacher Assistant and waiting to hear I'm hired for a 1st grade position. I went to a site www.mspowell.com (got it from someone on here) and it has some helpful information. Also, type in your search bar Third Grade Classrooms and you will see pictures of classrooms,etc.

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 18, 2007

Do you have any idea what will be provided in your new classroom? Is it an additional position at the school, or is someone leaving? Did they leave anything behind that you can use? When I started teaching 5th grade this year the other teacher had left me her entire library (she was moving to middle school SS) which was a huge help.

What part of GA will you be teaching in?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

No advice, but Congratulations and welcome!!!

6. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jun 1, 2007

One thing I can't live without is my IKEA tub holder. It is wood cabinet with grooves cut in the side. It holds the plastic tubs from the kids section. It is awesome because it holds all my kids workbooks.