Going to Year-round anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by collegeteach12, Apr 1, 2009.

1. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

I know there are already a good amount of year round schools in some areas, but I was just wondering if any teachers have been hearing that this might start to become a more popular thing all around the US. If you have heard talk about it, do you think this will happen anytime soon? I hope it doesn't, I'm not a teacher yet but I like the idea of having an entire summer off.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 1, 2009

I actually think I'd be a fan of it, depending how it's done... although there are few schools in my area that use it as of yet.

I like the idea of several extended breaks throughout the year... I also think it helps the kids retain more information (we all know how much we have to reteach for the first month of school!)

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 1, 2009

As long as my contract days don't increase I'd be fine with it.

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

I haven't heard but I would love it. I agree that 9-10 weeks of school with 2-3 weeks off of each quarter would be great! In the time off, we could offer intervention for struggling students. I always get "bored" after the first month off of school and am ready to go back.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Apr 1, 2009

I don't think I would like this.

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 1, 2009

I'm currently at a year round school (hence the name ;)). There are pluses and minuses. When summer rolls around I really wish I was at a 9 month school. During the year, however, it is really nice to have spaced out track breaks. There is always decompressing time to look forward to when the stress gets to be to much. The turn around from year to year is hard to get used to however. There's usually only about a week or two between the time your "grown up class" leaves you and you get your new "baby" class. It is a culture shock when all these kids who were independent leave and suddenly just a couple short weeks later there are kids that know nothing about your classroom. It is hard to get used to. I know I've caught myself a few times getting ready to say "you already know how to do that. Think about when I taught/showed you that" and I suddenly remember that no they don't... this is only their first week in your class! :whistle:

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 1, 2009

I think I would like it. I haven't heard any talk at all about it in my district or my state at all so I don't see it happening.

9. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

I just feel that in a year round school teachers would never really get a break. because in those few weeks of break you would always have to be planning, and like yearroundteach said, during your summer break you are probably stuck planning for your next year students. I feared school becoming year round while I was still there, so I'm thankful it didn't. I just hope it doesn't by the time I'm out of college and actually teaching :/

10. MRW

MRW Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

Can anyone give an example of a year round schedule? Do you have a week off every other month? I have yet to hear anywhere around here going year round and would be disappointed to go year round. I love having summers off.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2009

The district I've subbed for for quite a while has had a few different systems throughout the time I've been there: Traditional, year-round where there's 4 different color tracks, & orange track (similar to traditional). It's currently on a traditional system now.

I taught for another district one year, which was traditional.

I'll ALWAYS like traditional the best...now, 10 yrs from now, etc. I want full summers off (which still zips by as it is). I like to travel & want to be gone for a week or longer w/o having to worry about returning to work the following week.

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 1, 2009

I was in a modified year round where we had three weeks for fall break, christmas, and spring break. Summer break was about 5 or 6 weeks. I really liked having the time off spread out.

13. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 2, 2009

My district does a 5 track system. Your schedule depends on which track you are on. For example for the track I'm on, I worked 3 weeks at the beginning of the year and then had a 3 week track break. I then worked about 11 weeks until Winter Break and 3 weeks after Winter Break. I then had a 3 week track break. I then worked (am currently working) 7 weeks before Spring Break (1 week long) and 3 weeks after it. I will then have my final track break of the year for 3 weeks. Here comes the tough part (at least for me it's tough).... I work all of June, all of July, and the first week in August. My next year starts only a week later (after the end of the year staff dev) during the 3rd week in August I believe.

Hope this helps.

14. andi137

andi137 Companion

Apr 2, 2009

My school is considered year round and I love it. We start at the end of July and go about nine weeks until the first of October and we get two weeks off. We go to Christmas and get two weeks off. Then we go until March and we get 2 weeks off. Then usually we are out at the end of May. So we get about a 2 month break instead of 3 months. I really enjoy it. Those two weeks are wonderful and then 2 months is plenty of time for me in the summer because I tend to get bored.

15. MRW

MRW Rookie

Apr 2, 2009

Thanks year round, not sure that I like it so much. I like what andi described that seems cool.

16. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

I like andi137's schedule. It's not like the other year-round schedules I have seen. I like the idea of having atleast 2 months for summer, but 2 or 3 weeks for summer is simply just not enough.

Thanks everybody for your replies!

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 3, 2009

Two of the 12 schools in my district are going year round next year. I'm jealous because they will only be on one track. I think that would be awesome to be YR and not have to track out. I don't think my school will transition any time soon because we are smaller, but I am wishing.

18. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 3, 2009

I am on Track 3..there are 4 tracks. As a rule of thumb, you are in 45 days and off for 15. I start the second week of July as my "new year". YES! It is a BIG shock during this transition. One week I have almost 2nd graders and then a week later, I have new first graders. I like it but we have to switch rooms every nine weeks (someone is always "out") as we have four rooms but five teachers. That is a pain. If I didn't have to put everything in two carts and a rolling 2 drawer filing cabinet, I would like it a lot more.

19. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Apr 3, 2009

I also have a schedule like andi's; it's considered a modified year around schedule. We have the traditional 9 week quarter and then 2 weeks off. Of course then the summer time. What we actually do with the two weeks off then is leave the first week free and then the second week we have intersession classes. These vary from remedial classes for kids that didn't pass their quarter classes to enrichment classes for those who are interested. It works very well. Only problem I have with it is that from our spring break to summer break, there are only 2 days off from school...Compared to the rest of the year, that's a lot of straight days in class. ;)

20. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Apr 3, 2009

My local district has four year-round schools; however, this is the last year for them. For budget reasons, they're switching them to the standard school year calendar.

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 4, 2009

You have the schedule I want! :)

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2009

Most of the schools around here aren't air conditioned, so it would be a huge additional expense.

23. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

We aren't what's called "year round" instead ours is called "balanced calendar". We start the end of July or the first of August and get out the end of May first part of June. The students have regular breaks scheduled through out the year of a week (except of Christmas where they get 2 weeks). The only thing I would change is I would make a change in the Spring Break and put it after the testing.

24. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2009

I have heard the rumors of it here... although we would call it extended school year (I guess that is less scary than year around). Think we are looking at the model andi137 described.