GOING TO THE EXPERTS....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dbelmo, Jul 23, 2010.

1. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

Thought I would ask all my EXPERT cyber teacher pals this:

Give me your absent work/make up work policy, procedure, organiztion, etc. I am trying to use a streamline approach and I feel like I am reinventing the wheel. Please help! Looking forward to everyone's ideas!

Thank you

dbelmo

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

My school's policy is you get one day per day absent for makeup work. (Child is sick on Tues and Wed. He has Thurs and Fri to makeup work from absence, including tests.)

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I failed at this miserably last year, I was not strict with my due dates. This year I'm going to give 2 days, however, the students will be responsible for getting the assignment. I'm going to post a folder on the wall or use some type of "file" for each day of the week and have the assignments in there (I got this idea from another poster here). However, with that being said if they are absent on a day a major project is due, they are responsible for getting it there on the due date...there won't be any extensions for this.
    I'm looking forward to the other poster's ideas on this too.

5. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jul 23, 2010

Our district's policy is that a student gets 5 days after they return to school to make up work. Obviously, if they've been out for a long time with a serious illness/surgery, it's up to the teacher to extend this if needed.

If a kid is out the day a project is due, they have to turn it in the day they returned to school or it's counted late.

Last year, I had a binder that I separated into sections for each of my classes. I put make-up work in that. However, I think that I'm going to change that this year and make a space on a bulletin board for folders for each class instead. I got really bad at forgetting to put work in the binder, so I'm hoping that by seeing the folders on the wall, it will help me and the kids remember to utilize them!

6. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

The days of the week folders really work for me. I got colored ones at an office supply store. Theyare like manila folders but are connected to create almost a pocket. I used word art to print out the days of the week for each folder. After I finish handing something out, I take the extras over and drop them in the appropriate day. That way when kids ask me what they missed I can just point to the folders (instead of hunting through piles of extra stuff).
    Keeping them accountable within a time frame is something I've struggled with. Like other posters here our district policy is 5 days, which to the middle school mind is an eternity. By the time their 5 days are up, they barely remember they were absent. :)
    I'm really interested to see what others post here too.

7. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

This seems a little unreasonable. There are many reasons for absences. Does a student with H1N1 come to your class to drop off the assignment?

8. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

Our district policy is one day for every day absent, except in special cases where the student is out for 5+ days at a time. Then it's up to the teacher to decide. That's how I handled it at my old school last year, so that will remain the same.

Last year, I was TERRIBLE at remembering who was absent when, and what they owed me. I kept track of absent kids by writing their names down on a small post it and sticking it on the calendar I kept behind my desk. This way, I could look through my gradebook and figure out why Susie didn't have a certain assignment. I had a homework calendar with every assignment written on it, so in theory, the kids were supposed to take it upon themselves to turn in the missing work.

I used to have a clipboard system where each class had a clipboard and I would write the assignments for the day, but this involved LOTS of writing....and they were on the far side of the room, so I often forgot about them. Oops.

This year, I'm planning to do what a lot of people have already mentioned with the bulletin board. I was thinking about having folders for the days of the week, but somebody mentioned that it works better if they label the folders for each class period. I think I'm going to take that approach. I'll continue to use the homework calendar. If it's bookwork, it'll be written on the calendar. If it's a handout, it'll be written on the calendar and handouts for the absent kids will be placed in the folder for that class period. I'll empty the folder every week or so, and when the papers are gone, so is your chance to do the assignment.

I'm interested in hearing some other methods, too. This seems like it's always such a pain in the butt! I really want a good system this year so I'm not scrambling to find papers.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

I love the idea of the folders with the days of the week. I'm going to do this as well. Our policy is a student has the same number of days to turn in work as they were absent. The co teacher I was with last year was a little lax in this area.

10. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I thought the same thing last year when another teacher was doing this...but with our projects they are expected to do very little at home, if they take advantage of the allowed class time, they'll finish it well before the due date. Last year, I never told any of the students that if they were absent I was going to count off points for being late, but on the day the project was due it seemed that the students work was waiting at the front desk for me at the end of the day. I should take part of that back, I did have a few students that had "planned" absences, and I did tell them they needed to turn it in or have it dropped off at the front office on the due date.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

When a student is absent, I have another student fill out a form that details what we did in class and attach any worksheets or instructions. I never have a shortage of volunteers to do this. The forms go in a folder on a bulletin board. I have my folders organized by class, not by day. Our school gives students 2 days to make up work. I am flexible about this depending on what we've been working on and how long the student was absent.
    I would hope that all teachers would look at students as individuals and not be so inflexible about deadlines. My son dealt with several inflexible teachers when he was dealing with a health issue last year.

12. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

If I am made aware of a situation that requires flexibility, I give it.

I had a student gone for TWO WEEKS last year with no explanation from home whatsoever. I even asked the office if he had transferred, or perhaps even died. They had no idea. When he finally came back, I gave him all of his work and tutored him after school so that he could catch up, and he turned in NOTHING. So frustrating. He was also absent at least one day a week for the entire year with no explanation, ever.

Sorry, kind of got off on a tangent there.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

I think I have posted my system before - I use a small binder for each subject I teach (except my AP classes) World History and US History. I have a template for the week divided into two columns, day of the week and Here's What We Did. The column Here's What We Did is split in the middle with two rows, Assignment and Handouts and Bell Question. So on Monday, I write in the BQ for the day and then the assignments and if there were any handouts. If I have handouts, I stamp them with an absent stamp and date, then put them in the front of the binder. This system has worked for me for over 15 years. It takes up very little room as the binders are propped up on my back chalkboard (where the weekly assignments are written on the chalkboard) in the chalk tray.

Since I teach high school, when my students are absent they are responsible for checking the binder and ensuring they have turned in their assignments. Our school policy is two days for every day they are absent. I do not track students down for their work when they are absent as again, they are high school students, they know where to find they work they missed when they were absent, and they know the absent policy.

14. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I like the absent stamp. I need to remember that!

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

I use the absent stamp to keep non-absent students (just made that up ;)) from taking the handouts/worksheets from the front of the binder.

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

I like your binder idea AND the absent stamp! What if a kid loses their copy of a handout - how do you handle that?

I have a small hanging folder thingee (technical term:D" in the back of the room with 31 numbered manila folders. At the end of each day, I slip any extra copies into the folder for that day. Our team tried a "buddy" system with a "We Missed You" cover sheet. In first period a volunteer would take the cover sheet and enter the bellwork, agenda, classwork, HW and attach any handouts. They would turn that sheet and attachments in to their last class teacher who would make sure the homeroom teacher got it back. My only issue with this was that kids may volunteer, but too many times their notes were less than complete, not easy to read, or less than accurate!

I too don't track kids down for missing absent work. I post missing work the week before report cards have to be entered. Missing work is an automatic 60% which is better than a zero.

I do like the idea of jotting down the names of missing kids and keeping it with a date/calendar. I'd just have to remember to do it.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

If a student loses handouts/assignments, they have to ask for another copy. The only time it becomes a problem is if the same students are losing papers over and over again.

I had to use the binder system because I only have two BB in my room. By school policy, one BB has to be used to post school info such as school calendar, lunch menu, fire drill procedures, etc.. .

18. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I have a folder on the wall - it works well. The kids know where to go, and it's less of a "what did I miss?" for me. I also have the kids chose an absent buddy early in the year. I tell them, chose someone whom you know you can rely upon to do a good job. I also let them know, just because Johnny asks you, you do not have to ask Johnny (I feel it makes it easier, since the kids know who is disorganized and/or unreliable). I get a list of the buddies at the beginning of the year, to refer to if I need. I then have a basket of "We Missed You" slips. They have room to write down titles of handouts, homework, titles of notes they missed, etc. If Johnny is absent, his buddy Sam takes one of these from the bin, fills it out, collects copies of any handouts, and then staples the We Missed You sheet to the front. It goes in the folder, and tomorrow Johnny knows to just go and get it. This works out great for me! (BTW, I'm in High School)

19. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 23, 2010

I know I've posted this somewhere else, so I might be repeating myself. :blush: I also have a student write what was done in class and attach any worksheets/instructions to the form. I assign the students a week to be my helper and at the end of the week, I reward my helper if the assigned job was done accurately (they always do a good job - this is just my way of saying thank you ;). If the helper is absent then the next person on the list helps out. I usually keep a box for every class, however I do like the folder idea. Students have two days to make up work. If they have more than five days then it's up to the teacher to assign an appropriate due date for missed assignments.