Going to school over break?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Dec 24, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 24, 2009

I feel like there is so much I need to catch up on. My room is such a mess, and I have so many new things I have been wanting to try with my class.

Honestly, I don't really mind, though. :) I'm not married with a family, my friends don't live in the area, and everyone I know works all day anyway, including my boyfriend. I get bored at home!

Do you go to work over break?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 24, 2009

I'll go in one day next week. Our floors always get rewaxed during vacation and they never get the furniture back exactly right, so it's easier to go in and put the room back together before we go back than try to get there a couple of hours early on the first day and do it then.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2009

We can't get into the school next week, although I wouldn't go in even if I could. I definitely need a break from that building!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2009

I used to. I don't anymore. My first year, I spent the entire 2 weeks there! I had started the year a couple of weeks into the school year and never had a chance to get organized. Over the break I revamped a bunch of stuff and rearranged the room.

There's nothing at all wrong with going in if you feel like it!

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 24, 2009

Yes, I plan to go in a day or two. I haven't made my plans for the first week back, so I need to do that and sometimes it is easier to concentrate at school then at home. I also have lots of stuff from my last units that I need to put away and get new stuff out for centers this nine weeks. So, yes, I guess I am going in. It will make me feel better if I do.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 24, 2009

Rewaxed? Wow, that must be nice! (except for the furniture rearrangement)

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 24, 2009

I used to, but don't plan on it this year. I have too many things, both school related and non school related that I can do at home!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 24, 2009

I plan on it, mostly because I will be starting at a different school in January, so I need to find a place for my stuff.

10. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Dec 24, 2009

I was planning on going in this week, but ended up staying home with laryngitis. I will be going in for two days next week. I have a ton of work to get done, and there never seems to be enough time. I have enjoyed the break from the building this week though.

11. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Dec 24, 2009

No, I won't be, I was able to complete plans for the first week back before we left on Christmas break. Also, I started working on my Master's degree, so it's nice to have a break from both, I won't have that this summer, because I'll be taking classes. So my plans for this break are to relax, shop, and have fun with family and friends!

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 24, 2009

I should also mention that I was summoned for Jury Duty the entire week we return from break, so I have to do 5 days of sub plans, just in case I have to report. YUCK!

13. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Dec 24, 2009

our school isnt open at all during the break although I would have liked to go in just one day if i could

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 24, 2009

I am not going in. I honestly would have never given a thought to going in. My lesson plans are set until the end of January.

15. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 24, 2009

My district has forbidden us to go in all break... many teachers are NOT happy about this... personally I don't care! I'm looking at the break as an opportunity to revive, refresh, and rejuvenate myself! Whatever mess or prep is in my room will be there for me when I return. :D

16. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 24, 2009

I will be going in at some point over break. I did bring stuff home to do my plans...but realized that I left by lesson plan book on my desk! Does me a lot of good there!!!

I have found that I work better at school then I do at home. I'm more focused on getting things done and I like being able to make my copies as I write out my lessons! I just feel more organized. :)

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2009

Yep! One day to wrap up last quarter (finalize grades...I've been reading writing notebooks for the past few days) and then to prep for the next quarter. I find it very peaceful, actually. :)

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2009

I have all ready been in for 4 hours. I do have things to work on at home too. I want to get my lesson plans for math and reading finished for the whole year. That's why I am going in. A little work during my break and I will have more time later down the road.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 25, 2009

I am going in one day to re-arrange the furniture and refresh my literacy and math stations.

I also have to prep for the first day back and get my next social studies unit organized. I'm planning to go in on the 2nd.

20. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 25, 2009

I probably will being that our teacher workday is now a furlough day. If I didn't, I would have to get my desk arranged the morning the students come in. Our floors are waxed during the break.

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 25, 2009

A friend of mine called me to come out the night of the last day of school. I had planned to stay at school to get everything done - but believed that I was way overdue for a break. so I went.

Now.. I wish I could go in. I have one week before I give the job up (LTS). And I sure would have liked to have it ALL done so that I could LOVE this last week with the kids. Instead I'll be scrambling to make a smooth transition.

I would LOVE to be able to go in...but my door pass doesn't work when school isn't in session. (and i think that if I called ANYONE to ask to get me in they would think I was someone who can't let it go...maybe I'm not.)

Just wish I could get in for a few hours. That would help.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2009

I have some prep work to do-- it's been close to 20 years since I taught Geometry, so there's always prep to do.

But I can do it from the comfort of my home computer.

There's no need for me to go into school until the morning classes begin.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 25, 2009

No way! This is my time to relax. I'm not married or have kids, but I still need my time.

24. tgim

tgim Habitué

Dec 25, 2009

I will go in for about a half day - I can enter grades from home, and I did lesson-planning before the break, but I need to get my desks rearranged and get the paperwork organized for the first week back. I will start multiplication - yeeeehaw! (fingers crossed big time!)

25. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2009

I will "stop by" one day next week. We had 3 snow days right before break, and I didn't bring home my planning stuff, so I will go in and pick up my things. And I may de-Christmas the room a little while I'm there. Our custodians still work, so the building is open (they have off 12/24, 35, 31 and 1/1).
    Kim

26. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Dec 26, 2009

I already have been in, but only for about an hour. I'd really like to spend a couple more hours there. I have stuff to do at home, but I'd like to do it all at school and be done.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2009

Same here! I don't ever see myself going in to work on ANY kind of break. I'd really have to be behind on something & even then, I'd bring it home to work on if I'm able.

28. Arbie

Arbie Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

If I don't go in, I"m going to have a problem. I have to organize for the new year and put out the snowmen stuff. Lesson plans. Get my camera and my Christmas gifts I left there.

29. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Dec 26, 2009

Yep, already went in the first day of break to finish up lesson plans, copies, and almost finished report cards. I'll probably go in at least one more time to finish report cards and get a few extra things done. It's so funny how some folks always go in, and others never do. Neither is the "right" way, of course. Just a personal preference, I suppose. I don't mind going in. I still feel like the break is "my time" but I also like having some extra time in the room to get it all together. In my experience too, the first day back (which is a work day for us--teachers only), it's nice to have time to catch up with people, have some team meetings, etc. Don't wanna feel rushed to get it all done! Hope you are all having an amazing break! Thanks for all you do for our children!

30. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

Going into work

I always go in one day over break. I do alot of thematic stuff with my students. This allows me to completely change over the work in the classroom. I use this time to get orgnanized, refresh the environment etc.

I go to school 1 weekend afternoon a month. This is usually on a Sunday. I do the same thing as above. Refresh the environment, get organized, do some goal setting, lessons plans etc.

I used to struggle with this, as it is "un-paid work time", but as time passed I realized the students benefitted and my 9-3 work became easier.

I find I am more productive if I go in on the weekends. I am not one to stay until 5:30 pm to do work. I am tired at the end of the day, and my brain gets turned off.

I tend to work in the evenings on Newsletters etc. I don't mind that, and it doesn't require time away from family.

I take my daughter with me when I work in the classroom. :)

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2009

I'm sitting at the computer, listening to Chicago's Greatest Hits, prepping Geometry at the moment.

32. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

ME TOO! Not kidding! Not prepping for Geometry, but same CD.

33. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 26, 2009

I'm not going into school--- I also avoided bringing home any papers to grade (I know-- I'm horrible). I will do some lesson planning around the New Year to get set up and I'll be working on my Chemistry wiki and trying to find new ways to get the kids to reflect in their notebooks during and after an investigation. That's it. I'm not going to push myself, even though I would love a super clean classroom and everything organized for the first day.

34. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 26, 2009

I will spend one day over there. My floor also gets waxed and I will need to move things to their proper place. Our custodian will move things around how she feels it would better fit in our classess. So most of us have to atleast stop by to check our furniture. I also need to do some reorganizing and lessons. I normally spend one day.

35. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 27, 2009

If I was a classroom teacher idk where I would find time to go in on off time. I work a 2nd job plus spending time with friends/family. I don't have a hubby or kids but I still don't know where I would find time. I am also, trying to ready for spring semester at the community college I attend which includes working lots to pay for the semester. UGH!! college costs too much!! (THATS ANOTHER THREAD!)

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2009

Sometimes you just do what you've got to do!

I had to go in 2 weeks ago on a Sunday to Xerox trimester exams. (I needed over 250 copies of 7 sides, and the machine was breaking down constantly. It was too much to do on an off period, and even if I coudl have done it in school I would have monopolized the machine for at least an entire period-- not exactly fair to my coworkers. Almost everyone I know went in during their off time.) I went in on a Sunday morning, after mass, and I brought Brian with me. He surfed the net on one of the school computers while I Xeroxed.

Getting the prep done is part of the job, whether you do it at home or at school. You find the time because not doing it isn't an option.

37. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 27, 2009

Plus, while there are some teachers who still have second jobs... it is unlikely that you will have that second job once you have your own classroom.

You'll discover that about two weeks in trying to balance the two jobs.

38. Sky

Sky Rookie

Dec 27, 2009

I refuse too - I need a break big time :)

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 27, 2009

I will go in at some point to clean off my desk, get some planning materials, and put away the Christmas decorations. If I am really organized I'll set up the desks for the new seating arrangement. I don't plan on going in more than once sometime later this week.

40. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 27, 2009

Everybody needs some time, even it means working at your computer doing schoolwork in your jammies at 1 a.m.! Sometimes just seeing the actual inside of the school during a long break is enough to not make you come back fully relaxed. I think everyone needs the downtime.

41. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

Going in over break

I've decided I'm going to go in over break. Planning on this Wednesday. I'm going to clean out my supply closet, rearrange the desks, take down holiday decorations, put up new ones, and put out fresh materials for students. I'll also get my paperwork organized and ready for the new year.

My New Year's resolution is to go in ONE sunday afternoon per month and do exactly this. :)

I called my teaching assistant, told her of my plans and invited her to join me. She said she would come pick me up for lunch. HA! HA!:lol::lol::lol: