Going to school and teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nasimi77, Sep 8, 2008.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

Hello All:

I'm currently enrolled at my local university in a couple of classes. I'm working on dual concentration for my art credential and my library media credential. Here's my question: Those of you teaching full time and going back to school: How to you manage your time without going mad?! :dizzy: I'm currently substitute teaching, and thinking how much harder this will be once I do get a full time job down the road!:crosseyed So, if you are taking 6 units or more and have a full time gig, please share how you do it. Thanks.:D

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

I have to make a schedule for myself, including sub dates, and deadlines for school work. My classes are online, but still have deadlines so I have to make sure that I read on Monday, web explorer and DVD on Tuesday, answer discussion question and review quiz on Wed, respond to classmates discussion response on Thur, work on paper Fri/Sat.

I haven't really gotten into subbing yet which is good because it allows me to schedule my masters work and then work around that.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

STG: Makes sense to be so strict on scheduling certain days for study time. One of my classes is also on-line. I have a two day assignment this week, and I start one of my credential classes tonight. I think it's all hitting me now. I've been off all summer, looking for work, having days of sheer boredom, dare I say.:huh: I'm going from that scenario to try and go back to school, it's a bit overwhelming.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

Schedules, routines, & to do lists! Last year I took 6 cr in the fall & 9 cr in the spring to finish my masters. :eek: I planned out when I would work on lessons, college work, & house work. It was tough b-c I did not have much down time. I really took advantage of school breaks like Thanksgiving & spring to get stuff done. I also tried to get ahead whenever possible. Good luck! :D

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

I am taking 6 credits this fall and in the spring to complete my master's. Fortunately, my program is designed for working teachers, so the workload isn't completely overwhelming. I go Thursdays from 4:15 to 9:30ish, with a half hour for dinner at 6:45. I usually reserve Wednesday afternoons for reading and homework, though I'm sometimes working on it right up until when I have to leave for class on Thursday!

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 8, 2008

I'm working full-time (40-50 hours / week), commuting 20 hours a week, and doing 6 credits a semester for my doctorate. I survive through schedules, calendars, to-do-lists, and a husband who does most of the housework.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

I will be going back to school next fall after I finish my portfolio this year, but the only way I can get through it is with schedules and to-do lists! Once things get into full swing, I will have to spend less time on AtoZ!!:(

9. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

It is sad, but my weekends are completely devoted to work- either teaching school or going to school. Come to think of it, so is every evening!!!
    Sometimes my house just isn't as clean as it should be, but hey... I don't have time for company anyway!

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

I just got back from the first night of one of my classes. Got the to do list going in full swing, already! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I feel silly asking in a way....it's just been so long since I've been in school. I will probably pursue my M.A. as well, but that's after I've landed the job. ;) Anyhow, looks like my Saturday's are going to be the best study days. I'm actually really grateful I'm only subbing right now. Yes, a full time job would be more $, but subbing does allot me some much needed study time, even during the week. Best of luck to you all of you!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

I'm going back to school this year. I'm working on my science credential. I am taking 7 units. Right now, I must admit, I am behind in my studies. But, I am catching up. MWF and Sunday are my days to study. T and TH is when I have classes.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

I subbed, had a PT job on eves & wknds, AND attended grad school all at once for a few yrs. I was working on 2 credentials as well: Mild/Moderate Disabilities & Multiple Subjects while working on my Masters in Education w/ emphasis in Special Ed. I also subbed in which I had many long term assignments working all 5 days a week. My PT job was as a senior credit customer service rep for Citigroup. It's a lot, but it can be done. I'm single w/o kids though, so that helps a lot. If I were married w/ a child, I don't think I could have done all that.

I'm currently back in school working towards a 2nd Masters & subbing. I did teach special ed for a yr in between that.

I think my most stressful term was when I student taught 6th gr (which is definitely NOT the gr I like to teach) plus it was the term I was working on my research questions & memorizing 25 typed pages of info to pass my comprehensive Masters degree exam...& if you don't pass, you have to wait another yr & your'e only given 1 more chance. Fortunately, I passed the exam the 1st time!

I just knew what I had to do & did it, but I had my share of relaxation time as well! :)

13. coffeeteacher

coffeeteacher Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

I teach and am taking 6 credits a semester for my masters. The program is through my local university, but my courses are online. If anything, that makes it more difficult, though. I have to block out time to go to "school". Basically, I spend 3 hours on Friday completing assignments for one course, 3 hours on Monday for another course, and then I respond to the discussions on Saturdays. I also tutor in the afternoons/evenings. It's going to get even worse when my district ESOL on-line course begins.