Going to make my first portfolio

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sansub, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sansub

sansub Rookie

Jan 20, 2013

Hi all,

I am having a screening interview with a school district that i really want to join. I have a Bachelors and a Masters Degree in Math and I will be starting my student teaching next month and will be finishing it before the new academic year starts. I am planning to make my first portfolio before the interview next week I would like to know what I should include in my portfolio as I have no prior work experience and haven't started my full time student teaching yet. Thanks.

3. bubbles

bubbles Rookie

Jan 20, 2013

Honestly, I don't think a portfolio is going to do much for you at this point without any concrete pictures or work samples. However, I do have a couple of ideas for you:

1) Possibly a mini-portfolio in a report folder type thing with a personalized cover letter, resume, philosophy, classroom management plan, procedures you plan on teaching, an example classroom newsletter, possibly a technology plan, and maybe an awesome lesson plan or two.

Once you can update the above with pictures, and real student work samples I think it will be much, much better.

2) I've seen/heard of many people using a brochure to highlight their strengths and really, really like this idea. You could either make it yourself or possibly see what somewhere like Staples or Kinkos would charge to fancify it.

I would advise reading/searching the "job-seekers" forum for lots of good ideas!