Going to Maine

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by moonbeamsinajar, Jul 20, 2009.

1. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 20, 2009

We are leaving for a vacation in Maine on Wednesday morning (first vacation in 3 years)! :) We are staying in the Wells area. Anyone have any ideas of "must-do" or "must see"? Already have plans for the Nubble Light House, the Marginal Way, and the Rachel Carson Refuge. Any other ideas? (Can't wait to get there!:cool:)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2009

I've never been to Maine, but it sounds like wonderful trip. Have a great time!

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I was born in Maine, but we left when I was really young so I don't remember anything! I wish I could go visit.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

We went about a dozen years ago.

The lighthouses are wonderful!!! There's a picture in my living room of the Nubble lighthouse-- my husband took it at dusk one day and it's gorgeous!! We also drove up to see the Portland Head lights, and one more, I forget which one.

There are lots of outlets in the area too. And Marginal Way is gorgeous.

You can drive fairly close to the Bush Compound in Kennebunkport-- when we went, of course, it was Geroge H Bush and Barbara that we were thrilled to see from a distance across the water.

I ate lobster every night... even McDonalds sold Lobster rolls! And we found a wonderful lobster shack near our hotel.

We had the dog (a lab at the time) in the water every morning, she had a wonerful time!!! I don't know where in PA you're from, but if it's been a while since you saw the ocean, make plans to be at the beach at least one early morning, to see the sun rise.

I'm sure there's more, but as I said it's been a while.

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

Lobster rolls at McDonalds??? I love lobster rolls. I love the rocky beaches in Maine. Can't wait until I am sitting on those rocks looking at the ocean!

7. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Wells Reserve at Laudholm Farm

I would strongly urge you to find the time to go to Acadia National Park.
    Portland Headlight

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2009

I personally don't know anything about Maine, but have a great time! You can go to this website & ask residents any kind of questions you want. They're usually pretty good at responding quickly:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2009

Let's see if you want Shopping hit Kittery Outlet stores and Freeport (LLBean).
    If you want water don't forget to go to Old Orchard beach.

I personally love Popham Beach but that is pretty far from Wells. http://www.state.me.us/cgi-bin/doc/parks/find_one_name.pl?park_id=22

The Old Port in Portland is nice.

If you want Mountains and lakes head inland. Sebago lake is beautiful. If you hit Naples ME you can take the Songo River Queen out for a tour of the lakes.

For dining
    Camp Ellis in Saco has Huot's Seafood Restaurant. Local's favorite place.

Cape Elizabeth is the Lobster Shack. Everyone loves it.

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

Thanks for all the great ideas! I hope to check out some of those places! Tomorrow at this time I will be there! (God willling and knock wood!)

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2009

Fort williams in Portland is pretty cool too. If I can talk my Husband (hehe sounds funny) into going, we might be there tonight taking trash the dress pictures.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

WHAT????

13. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

We've been thinking about trash the dress, too. I'd love to be able to do that in one of the many places in Maine that I love!

All of the places mentioned are great for a visit! I can't wait to make it back! Let us know how it turns out!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2009

You arrive in Maine I leave Maine haha. We return August 1st. MsTn. Where did you used to stay when you visited?

15. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

I actually worked in a church in Scarborough for a summer while I was in college, stayed with a family in Windham, and made friends all around Portland. While we were there we were able to visit several different places throughout the state. Definitely a highlight of my college career!

16. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

Just got back ....had a great time, even though there was a major storm Thursday night and it was still raining Friday a.m.
    Did the Nubble Light House twice, the Wells Reserve, Rachel Carson Natural Area, the Marginal Way, the outlets, the Reservation walkway in York, a boat ride to see the seals, and the beach every day. Also got to see the sun rise over the ocean this morning. Too cool to get in the water, but I am not a swim in the ocean person, so it was okay. I don't think we sat still at all! But that's okay too, I did Lots of sitting on the ride home to PA!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2009

It sounds like you had a great time.

We have a picture hanging in our living room... my husband took it at Nubble... it's gorgeous!!!

18. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2009

I second the Old Orchard Beach. Lots of my friends went during the summers when I lived in VT. I've been to and really enjoyed Bar Harbor and Portland (not sure how close or far they are from there). O! And you could always go whale watching!!!

19. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

I did not realize that there was also a lighthouse in Kittery... reading the brochure on the way home I discovered that there was one there! How did I miss that? I also learned (reading the lighthouse brochure) that there is another lighthouse visible from the park where you view Nubble. I think it is Boon Lighthouse. Sure enough, when I looked at my pics, it is visible to the right of Nubble, far out in the ocean!

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

No suggestions, have a great time. Wish I had time for one more trip!