Going to look at a dog-questions?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jul 10, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

I'm going to look at a dog on Saturday. His owner needs to rehome him as she works a lot. He's a one and a half year old golden/German shepherd mix. She says he's not a cuddler; he'd much rather play. He's pretty active. He's crated when she's not home, which is what we will do as well. He's up to date on all shots and everything. He's never been around cats but he's good around all other animals he's encountered. I do have a cat now.

What kinds of questions should I ask? What should I look for?

I know I'll make sure she's okay taking him back if it doesn't work out. I also plan to ask about his training and commands that he knows. I'll be sure to ask what he eats and for any vet records. What else?

TIA

3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2014

where did she get him?

I take it he's not house-trained at all? Has she taken him for walks to get him used to relieving himself outside?

Do you need to use a leash in your area? If not, does he come back in response to his name? What about other basic commands such as "sit" and "stay" and "heel"?

Does he bark?

How much does he shed? Does he chew on anything he shouldn't?

Is he afraid of anything in particular (I had a g. shepherd that was deathly afraid of sewers, and for about six months was afraid of both rugs and stairs (which made keeping him in the house a lot easier, as he only wanted to stick to the slate floor!) Come to think of it, when we first had him he was also afraid to get into cars and so we ended up walking him back from the pound).

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

I know he's from the Cleveland APL and he is house broken from the standpoint that he's good when she's home, goes to the bathroom outside, etc... She's not sure what he'd do if left out during the day. He will have to stay crated here for awhile too until we're sure he's okay with the cat.

I will definitely ask about the other questions though. Thanks! We will use a leash with him for sure but I do want to make sure he will come in case something happens.

We will also be enrolling him in puppy kindergarten to make sure all his commands are solid with us.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2014

Awww, good luck with the pup. And, I'm sure he still has many mannerisms of a puppy.

Is he neutered? What does he weigh? Does he have free range of the house/yard when the owners are at home? Has he ever bitten a person or another animal? How many times per day do they walk him? Name/phone number of vet (call before taking him home)? Have they taken him to obedience training? What flea treatment have they used (if any)?

If he's not a cuddler, it could be because they have not had the time to spend socializing him. Talk to the vet about this.

Good luck; I hope it works out.

6. live

live Companion

Jul 10, 2014

It might be too much, but would it be possible to take the cat to meet him? Maybe after you meet the dog for the first time? It could be good to see how they interact, especially on the dog's own turf before going into a new environment.

Good luck!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2014

What an exciting time! I hope it all works out.

So is this more like a trial for 1-2 weeks & of course if all goes well, then you keep him?

When I had my dog & I was gone at work all day, I didn't actually keep him in his crate, but had this expandable gate to keep him enclosed in the laundry & my bathroom areas, so it's not as constricting. Are you able to do that in a small area of your home? Here's many different types:

http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Supplies/Pet-Gates-Doors/325/dept.html

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks, everyone! I believe he has free range of the house when she is home. I also know he's good with babies and children. I also just found out when he was at the APL he scored a 5/5 on all of their tests for adoption.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to bring the cat up. She hates traveling so I think it would be a little too stressful for her.

Ms. I, I don't think that will work for us. He will be in my office/craft room. We don't have a lot of closed off spaces!

I'm hoping it all works out! We'd love to have a dog :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2014

Even if you brought the cat, I don't think that will tell you anything. Most likely, the cat will hiss at the dog and the dog's fur will stand up, upon their first meeting. When I've brought in a dog cold because I was dog-sitting it, my cat went nuts. Even after a week, there was only a little improvement. You need to use a real behavioral approach: first, don't let them see each other, just let them smell underneath a door; next, let them see each other from a distance but not touch; then, let them get a little closer; finally, when the dog knows the sit command, let them be in the same room together. This could take many weeks, but it is better than your cat hiding under furniture for weeks and possibly never getting over it. I would love more animals, but I don't want to go through all that. I have one dog and one cat and they are at peace. My old cat never adjusted to either the newer cat or the dog (she finally passed away), and I felt so bad for her for years.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2014

Of course, you could very possibly have much better luck and more well-adjusted pets than I have. It's the same way with kids; mine are the least adjusted of anybody's kids I have ever known.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

Upsadaisy, everything you described is what I've been reading! It sounds like slow is the ultimate answer. I want to be prepared too in case they just don't ever adjust. The one thing I read online was to give them treats and feed them from either sides of the door so they can get used to smells and things in a positive environment. We'll see how it goes!

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

Or it could be that's just the way he's wired. My German Shepherd was never big on cuddling and still isn't. I think it's like kids-some are affectionate, some not so much.

It sounds like you are very informed and ready. Hope all works out well for you guys. :thumb:

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

His current owner said when he's on the couch he just wants to stand on his head or play, so he may just not be into cuddling.

14. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jul 10, 2014

I would guess that he's just not into cuddling. I had a smaller dog, who loveeeeed having her belly rubbed and sitting by your feet, but HATED being picked up or sitting on your lap. She just couldn't get comfortable that way.

I also agree with the cat process - slow is the way to go.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2014

He might still be too much of a puppy still to be a cuddler. My black lab mix was like that. He is four now and would love to be a lap dog if my lap was big enough for him!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2014

I've always wanted a cat that wanted to be held or sit on my lap - none of mine have liked that. I agree that each animal has its own personality. I get all my kisses and snuggling from my small dog and just admire my cat's beauty from wherever he wants to sit!

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

Upsadaisy, you need my cat! As soon as you sit down, she's in your lap! Strangers too. She's soooo friendly.

18. live

live Companion

Jul 10, 2014

I definitely think if a dog's going to become a cuddler, it'll be when they start getting older. Further, I don't know many puppies that sit still long enough to cuddle!

My pup wanted nothing to do with cuddling until recently. Now, he'll cuddle for about 5 minutes (on his terms)...then he's back to laying off in his own spot. He cuddles a bit more as time goes.

It's funny because my boyfriend says I'm the same way about cuddling. Maybe pups in some ways emulate their owners?

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2014

I adopted a brother and sister from a shelter. In the meet and greet area, the boy was too busy investigating to snuggle. Once they got used to my house, the boy became the world champion snuggler. He will give me hugs. The other day I was home all day and lost count after twelve hugs. The little girl kitty only likes being held on her terms. They are almost opposite their behavior at the shelter.

20. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I thought I'd give you my impressions, as I have a one-year-old Golden/Shepard mix (my vet's best guess as we got her from a rescue). She's about 50 lbs., sweet as can be, but so very active. She has run of the neighborhood (we live out in the country) and often will bring up various toys, shoes, misc. from other people's houses (oops). She also is somewhat of a hunter and will bring up/chew on small rodents. I can imagine her needing 2 daily walks if she was in the house/tied in yard. She recently lost her winter coat. I was brushing about 3 times a week and got 4-5 brushfuls of hair just coming off without effort. I kind of shudder to think of her being inside at that time, but you may be able to tolerate more mess. I brush her once a week usually. She's outside only because we have a home daycare.

She gets along pretty well with my Shih Tzu and cat, although she and the Shih play fight and bite. She is friendly and tolerant of the daycare kiddos, although we had to teach her not to jump. She always runs to meet us when we get home and expects petting and belly rubs. She's a wonderful addition to our family, but know that you'll need to put up with high energy and lots of fur.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

We went to look at him today, and he should be coming home tomorrow! He's super friendly. He doesn't bark or jump. He's good around other animals and babies. He knows some things like sit and gentle. He's very energetic. We'll probably walk him twice a day. She currently brushes him every other day, so we'll keep doing that.

Here's hoping all goes well!

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2014

How exciting! Good luck!

I hope we get a few pictures :p

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

For sure!!

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2014

That's great, dg. I hope the kitty doesn't get too jealous. There's nothing like a big puppy for fun and laughs. Good luck. (And I'd love to meet your sweet cat.)

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 13, 2014

Dog (Cooper) is home. So far, so good. We're letting him and the cat out at different times. Neither seem traumatized. We will keep slowly working with them both!

He's very high energy!

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2014

PICTURES :haha:

27. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

Congrats on the newest addition to your family!

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2014

Great news!

29. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 14, 2014

GSDs need a lot of exercise or they may become destructive or over-territorial. They are such smart dogs that they need the activity to keep themselves in check. I did not get to sped time with my 4year old GSD yesterday. This morning...she took the shoes out of the closet and pulled Aluminum foil out of trash and shredded it last night. Toys with treats inside that she has to work to get out may be helpful. And continue to teach her new "tricks"/obedience skills - they love to show off :).

All that said, congratulations and enjoy!

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

Congrats on the new addition!!