Going to IKEA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Jul 6, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I'm heading out there this morning with a friend. I plan on buying:

tubs for the classroom
    pillows for the classroom
    pillow cases for the pillows on my rocker (they are super tattered)
    a frying pan

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2008

I just bought a cushion with holes in it for your hands. My nephew said it is to be used to warm up your hands but I am going to see if my students who are constantly playing with their hands, their clothing/other's clothing...will like to use it.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

I love the IKEA tubs. I have a bunch of the blue ones but I got them at a dollar store. They were more than a dollar! I think $2! So when I saw them at IKEA I was thrilled! So then I got a bunch of red ones.

5. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I love and miss IKEA. There was one not too far from me when I lived in NJ but now that I'm in NC there isn't any in the state today (not yet at least .. building one in Charlotte but still too far a drive for me)

6. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

We just got one in Atlanta about a year ago. I love it but! I could spend ages in there just browsing. :) Have fun.

7. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I also love Ikea! I bought their toy chests and painted them. They make great seats for reading groups and morning meeting time.:)

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

Man, I wish I could AFFORD something from IKEA. haha

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

We were at IKEA today, looking at couches. I bought a picnic table on clearance for my reading corner! I also saw about a thousand other things I'd like to have....some of those hedgehog cushions, some round storage containers that hang, a hanging organizer with a mirror for my dressup clothing, etc.

We didn't end up with a couch, but I do think I know which one I'm going to get now.
    Kim

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

You would be surprised... when we went while we were in Texas, things were pretty cheap.

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

I LOVE the red/blue bins too! I got a bunch for my classroom library, some magazine holders, and some cool stackable trays. I heart IKEA and their mostly affordable prices!

12. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

red/blue bins

buck8teacher what are these bins called? I am looking for them on their website but there is just toooooo much to sort through!

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

14. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

For the first time ever I actually managed to go to IKEA and ONLY get what I said I was going to get. As we neared the checkout I kept putting all the random things I was picking up back. I got:

2 clear storage bins (will use them for my preschool program this summer)
    2 pillow cases for my rocking chair cushions
    baking sheet
    frying pan

Amazingly this was like $40. IKEA was not cheap today!

I'll go again in August when I can start using my classroom budget for the storage bins and things.

16. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Oooh! I love IKEA! I never thought about going there to find stuff for my classroom. That could be dangerous!

17. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

Our IKEA was recently built, so I'm still in novelty mode when I go....

Ooooh, I need this, this, this, that, and this. ;)

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

buck8teacher - I have told my husband that I want to get over to the new IKEA store some time this summer.

Any tips or hints????
    (I am looking for things for our condo.)

19. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

My tips:

Buy real wood. The laminate will be lousy down the road. Their storage stuff is great. If you do buy laminated get the thicker looking stuff (like the Expedit line, which is what I have.) I have dressers in real wood that have lasted years. The first thing I ever bought from IKEA was a laminate TV stand, which broke about the third time I moved it across the room.) The stuff needs to be put in one place and stay there unless it is solid wood.

The linens are good in terms of throw pillows, rugs, etc. but I find the bed linens too cheap and scratchy for my taste.

Kitchen stuff is fun. Just look at the quality. I think anything made of metal, tin, glass, wood, wicker, etc, should be good from IKEA. Be careful if it is super cheap or super flimsy. Some stuff is just not that great.

A REALLY good deal at IKEA is their drinking glasses. I think you can buy them for cheap and everyone I know has them.

20. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

MissFroggy - One thing I want to look for is a new computer desk. Not that I would be moving it around, but (after what you said), I will definitely be looking for real wood!

Thanks!!

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

Well, I am by no means an IKEA expert. But I do have fun when I go! :) If you go early, you get to park right up close to the store, of course now that newness has worn off, it hasn't been as busy. If you can go on weekday, great! The store opens at 10, but the resturant is open and has a yummy breakfast at 9, I believe. Cheap too! :)

Just take your time and wonder around. They give you little booklets and pencils there. If you want to purchase an item of furniture, then you write it's aisle location down on the little pad. The top floor is just the showroom, and your get the actual goods downstairs, except for some of the children's stuff.

I purchased some bedding there, and really like it...but I just bought the duvet cover and pillows/covers. They have some fun art prints and awesome lamps.

When looking at the furniture, if it looks cheap...well then stay away. My friend was all excited about how cheap her new bedroom furniture was from there...well it broke as we put it together. There are more study pieces available, so stick with the studier products that MissFroggy suggested.

Have fun! :)

22. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

There are also lots of great resturants around there if you get down closer to dinner time, it's in a really nice area! :)

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

buck8 - Ah! I wondered if they had a restaurant!

DH and I would probably drive over on some Saturday - when it's too hot to do anything outside. But, maybe I can get him up early to get over there early!

Thanks so much for the info!!

OH! If we don't get there early, we could go out to dinner after shopping! That's a plan!

24. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

There's a Champps, Bravo Italiano, PF Changs, Rafferty's, Max and Erma's, Applebee's, a bbq place, and a Red Robin within two minutes...and very close to the interstate.

25. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

ikea

I second that, before my husband and I moved overseas, I purchased about $1,000+ in furniture....computer desk, coffee table, tv stand, 2 dvd racks. I left it in boxes (not put together) and was loaded on crates. Everything arrived fine, however, our return to the states our poor computer desk is on its last leg. It currently has a door hanging on by one hinge! I even went back at Christmas time to find some replacement parts, but with no luck that desk is discontinued :mellow:

Everything else is great! The desk is laminate, everything else is real wood. Our living room furniture is from the Markor series and has held up well, we get a lot of compliments on the dvd cabinets.
    :)

26. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

IKEA has a restaurant inside of it... at least ours does. they actually have good, interesting Scandinavian food. If you have never eaten there, I totally think you should try it, even if it's just once.

27. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

Ooooh! That all sounds good!

So, the store is right on I-75?
    (I haven't looked it up on MapQuest yet.)

28. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

Hello, my name is Zoom and I'm an IKEA-holic.

"HI ZOOM!"

Yes, it's true. I'm an IKEA freak. And getting there is a three-hour drive for me. I saw this post and had to laugh. A girlfriend and I were going to make the 6 hour trip for IKEA alone but $4.10/gallon gas prices stopped us. I was so sad 'cause I wanted to buy some rugs and curtains. My husband suggested we "stop by" (HA HA HA) on our way to O'Hare on Monday since it's on the way and I can pick up my things. JOY!!!!!

SO.... I'll be buying some cute rugs for my reading and play areas (less than $15 ea!), storage tubs, and whatever else strikes me.

So much IKEA.... so little time...

29. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I worked at IKEA for two years while getting my teaching license, so half of my house is filled with IKEA. Now that I am making a teacher's salary (i.e. LESS) I shop mostly in their AS-IS department. I just picked up two bookcases for $20 each. The stuff has some minor dents and dings, or has been discontinued, but it is marked way down and the best part is that they are already put together. Be forewarned: they don't deliver as-is products, so you have to bring a truck, and they can't be returned. As for the restaurant, after two years of eating in their employee cafeteria I don't think I could ever eat another swedish meatball in my life...but the cinnamon buns are addictive!

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

Glenda,

Just make sure your husband is a browser, or leave him at home! The first time I went with a friend, I think we were there 3 hours.

I can't remember the exit number, but it is the Union Centre exit; surprisingly, there is no advertisement for IKEA at the exit. Turn right off the exit, then left on Mulhaulser (spelling?)

I took my oldest daughter last week to look for things for her first college apartment and we found LOTS!!

31. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

IKEA's kid stuff is beyond cute. We finished our basement as a playroom last summer and it's decorated in IKEA! They just have some really unique things...the long plastic strips that function as curtains or door dividers (we have those), they had chair mats for under desks that are floral (we have those under the kids' easels), etc.

A great deal that has lasted and lasted for me is the "igloo" tent. I put it in my reading nook in the winter. It's something like $10.

And my whole family likes the restaurant, and we can all eat there for around $20. Kids meals are $1.99! I LOVE their meatballs, and they have great cinnamon rolls to take home and heat.
    Kim

32. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2008

I've been shopping at IKEA (in Philly) since I got married over 22 years ago. The store was new but my hubby is Scandinavian so we checked it out. We ended up furnishing our first apt. there! We are still using most of the furniture so it wasn't disposable for us. The only thing we ever had a problem with was when our sons overloaded their dresser drawers. We've had our share of frustrations with assembly but it only made our marriage stronger:whistle:
    My advice: follow all directions exactly! Also, go in November to check out the Christmas items. Irresistible!

33. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I use to drive 4 1/2 hrs. every summer to Pittsburgh for my IKEA fix. The new Ohio store is ten min. from my house. Dangerous!!!

34. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

Zoom are you talking about the one by Woodfield mall? I am i Chicago and that is the one I go to. Love it!

My boyfriend was stunned last time he went with me. He though we would be in there for 30 minutes. Three hours later he had collapsed into a chair and I was still going:)

35. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

He is pretty good about following me around! Having food right there at the store should help!

I did check IKEA's website. I think I know where to go. (When DH and I used to drive down I-75 to go to the University of Cincinnati, we thought that UC (on the railing over the interstate) meant the University of Cincy - not realizing it meant Union Centre. :p

I found this on their website! I'll have to ask our son if he needs anything!
    IKEA West Chester

HAPPENING NOW

BACK TO COLLEGE
    - Free prizes, fun, food, games and more at "College Night 2008" Wednesday, July 23 @ 7 p.m.
    - Find everything you need for your dorm room or apartment all under one roof

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

Love the swedish meatballs with lingonberries:D

37. beanie

beanie Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

hahahah - I have the igloo in my classroom too! I buy lots from Ikea - have lots of storage tubs (they are very sturdy, especially the small blue ones and the green ones), magnetic boards, cork boards, wooden toys, cups, bowls, farmhouse, magazine holders and so on. makes it easy to organise the classroom!