Going to Hawaii-any tips?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

Dh heard my cries, and we're heading out to Oahu.

We're a bit stuck on a hotel. We waited to reserve a room, hoping we'd get some last minute deals. But there are so many options, we're overwhelmed. I'm watching a travel special right now, but I'd love any hotel or entertainment tips you guys might have!

I know I want to do the Dole Pineapple tour, and visit Pearl Harbor. But that's about it. We don't want to go crazy with spending money, so cheap is good, but I don't want to miss anything good, either.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

No advise, but have fun. That sounds really exciting!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

Thanks! I'm trying to get geared up. This week has been really emotional, so I'm recovering from the shock and working like crazy just to keep busy. I'm going to have to really slow down and just enjoy myself.

I'm getting pink put back in my hair to match the hot pink bikini dh got me to wear on the beach. Just call me Malibu Barbie! :)

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

:lol: Jem. I'm glad you're getting a chance to have fun.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 8, 2010

Wow, that's awesome! No tips, but I'd love to get yours when you come back. We're going to Hawaii for Spring Break.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

Oahu... went there a long time ago when I was in HS!!!

LOVED it. We tried to visit Pearl Harbor, but Prez Clinton kept backing things up.

Jem... when my mom called she actually talked to the Hotel Manager & he was from our side of the state!!! It was CRAZY!!!! We stayed 8 days. I just remember getting up our first day there & was like where are all the people it was sunny & nice... OH only 6am that may be why!!!!

We went to the touristy spots like the Hawaiian Hilton Village, some of my mom's friends from work boys' were stationed there so they drove us around the Island up to North Shore & what not!!!

PM if you want to ....

8. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 8, 2010

Hawaii has some really pretty waterfalls! See if you can take a helicoptor tour or go hiking to see some of them.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

What a great surprise. I would want to do a luau--that thing where you eat and they dance.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

Ooooh-waterfalls. I'll look those up.

Blue, I want to do one, too! The one at the Hilton is $100 A PERSON! Eeeek! Maybe I can find a cheaper one. Or we can just order a Spam sandwich and I'll dance around the beach blanket for dh while he drums on the cooler.....

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2010

Jem, are you AAA members? Lots of hotels offer a bit of a discount for AAA.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

Jem... Blue Hawaii is on tonite.. well right now for us!!!

Snorkling and Hanauma Bay. Diamond Head... You can rent stuff & just stick your head in the water to watch the fish & stuff. I would suggest you get a kick board... So much fun!!!

13. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 8, 2010

No help, but let me just say that I am really jealous that you are going to warm Hawaii while I am battling snow! Grrr! Enjoy your time! :)

14. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jan 8, 2010

I went to Hawaii in August, but to Kauai and Maui. In Oahu, I heard that Lanikai Beach is beautiful and that snorkeling in Turtle Bay is good - swimming with the turtles (honu) is a must in Hawaii! I had a blast taking surfing lessons, too! There should be some good whale watching at this time of year too! I wish I could go back..

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2010

I'm so jealous right now! Have fun!

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

I don't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at, but it was on Waikki Beach, which is phenomenal! You might be interested in some surf boarding lessons, and there's so much free stuff to do. Check to see if there's any free concerts going on, a lot of local artists perform for free just to promote their CD's.

We rented a car and made a tour around the entire island, there's a lot of places to stop along the way and LOTS of great food to eat. Be sure and spend time at the waterfalls, take a botle of wine and spend the day just watching the water fall.

On the back side of the island you'll find Sandy Beach, which is one of the most beautiful beaches on all the islands, it's free, go and spend several days there, pack a picnic lunch. They do photo shoots there for calendars.

Of course you'll want to go to Peal Harbor. When we were there the Missouri battle ship was docked, we toured it and it was interesting. There's a pineapple plantation too, but we didn't have time to go through it.

I'm a beach bum and could just spend the entire time on a beach.

Be sure and buy a Hawaiian CD, ask about local artists. I still listen to my CD's when I feel like I need an escape. Also, buy a piece of jewelry while you're there. It will always remind you of the great time you had on Oahu, I bought plumeria ear rings and necklace with small diamonds. They're beautiful. ABC stores are like dollar stores and are great places to buy coffee cups, calendars, and lais.

There's a great mall there at Wakiki and one of the hotels has a beautiful aquarium.

We bought pineapple there and were a little disappointed with the prices we paid for it and when we got back to the states there were pineapples from Hawaii that were even cheaper, it was a pain to get through customs with them too.

ABC stores are the best places to buy souveniers, it's like a dollar store in Hawaii. Get a couple of coffee cups at Bad Ass coffee shop (that's really the name of it). I love the things I buy when I travel, it gives me a moment to stop and think about how beautiful my experience was and it's a trip you'll never want to forget.

The people there are incredible, very, very friendly. Be sure to spend some time talking with them. Crime is almost non-existent, sorry toursits generally are the only thieves there. Don't leave your camera unlocked in your car at a beach.

Oh Jem.... I'm so excited for you. Have fun!!!! I expect a full report and pictures when you return.

17. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

My advice is go to the craftfair in the park during the weekend and buy something authentic from Hawaii at a good price. We saw it in the paper and went. It was fun and the food was good.

Also drive by the pineapple fields, the smell is amazing.

Go parasailing. It was so much fun.

Take a driving tour around the entire island if you can, see both sides.

Don't be afraid to eat food out of a truck or cart. It was all good.

Don't go to a luaw, the food is not good.

See the dancers on the beach at night for free instead.

That's all I can think of right now.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2010

Stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on my honeymoon.

Have stayed at the Hale Koa (Next door to Hilton) since then- same beachfront- It's military, so it's not an option for you.

Stayed downtown by the zoo once...that was fun too...

Never disappointed. Have fun.

19. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

That craft fair was near the zoo. That much I remember.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

International Market Place... FUN shopping... do forget to bargain with them...

Hoot Owl when we were there we met a local artist who spray painted at nite... It was free & so cool. We ended going down there every nite. I bought a piece & he gave my sister & I one because we would help him take down his stuff at nite. We also went to the magic show at the Hawaiian Hilton...that was fun!!! I still have a bunch of those shell necklaces that are now so popular from there in all sorts of colors!!!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2010

One of my students is from Hawaii and was back there for most of the summer; I'll ask him about any "off the beaten track" treasures.

22. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

Polynesian cultural center, International marketplace, sea life park, I am trying to remember everything I did when I went in 1987.

23. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jan 8, 2010

Oh, those of you who plan to visit my lovely state, please know that crime is definitely NOT almost non-existant here, so always be watchful and aware of your surroundings. I don't mean to scare anyone, but in any location in the world where many tourists gather, you'll find criminals who target tourists. Pickpockets and thieves frequent Waikiki and many tourist sites, so please keep your guard up and be safe. Hope you enjoy your visits - today's weather is sunny and breezy with the temperature in the high 70's-low 80's, and yes the people here are friendly and awesome!

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

Check out Polynesian Cultural Center; night show, canoe show & walking tour or the tram tour. I heard it's changed a lot since I was there, as a performer. The food @ the Lanai's great. Visit Waimea Falls and A MUST see; the Halona Blow Holes on Oahu's south side, during HIGH tide. For the pineapple, you can just drive out to the North Shore, near the Schoffield Base, jump out of your car, get some, and hope you don't get :eek:caught.:lol:
    I'm so jealous now. You are going to have so much fun!!!:cool:
    Bring me back some sand and seashells for my Science area.:D
    Enjoy and have the time of your life!
    Rebel1

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

Jem, my hubby and I went last year after I was non-reelected to help cheer me up.

We:
    1. took a surfing class
    2. snorkeled in Hanauma bay
    3. hiked in one of the national parks
    4. went to the polynesian cultural center
    5. walked around a lot looking for cute little shops (we found an awesome vegan/vegetarian store/diner type place)
    6. watched a movie at the mall (Pineapple Express)
    7. went to the flee market (bought a ton of souvenirs there!)
    8. visited the aquarium and the zoo

But our favorite activity was when we drove around the island just stopping at random sites (beaches, a really cute hut store with lots of yummy food and goods, a temple, etc.).

I highly suggest renting a car and just taking off!!!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  26. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

How was the Polynesian Cultural Center?
    R1

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

cheesy! It was okay. Um, that was the day we drove around the island and visited a ton of random places, so we got to the place in time for the luau, but didn't have much time to walk around and visit the whole park area.

The major thing is, RELAX there! Don't force it all in. Enjoy the blue sky, the smells, the animals, the people. :)

28. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

It's changed a LOT, so I've been told.
    Back in the day, IT WAS AWESOME! A lot of us who are natives from our own islands, danced, :Dworked and shared real experiences; not just lecturing from a script.:(
    Rebel1

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

Oh, I'm sure. It's sad, too. It was not what we thought it would be. We still tried to enjoy it, but it wasn't how I envisioned it. Oh, well...

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 8, 2010

Great! I went to Oahu & Maui the summer before my senior yr of HS & I'd gladly go back again!

Yes, that Dole Pineapple tour was interesting & I did the Pearl Harbor thing. Now I don't remember off the top of my head which I did in Oahu & which I did in Maui, but here's what I did/went to:

- Polynesian Cultural Center, ate, shopped, toured around, & saw a show that night w/ fire breathers, dancers, etc.
    http://polynesia.com/
    - Sugar Cane train ride/tour
    - Rented a red 30s Ford (I think) & drove around the city
    - Went to this shopping area...forgot the name
    - Shopped at Hilo Hattie's: http://www.hilohattie.com/
    - Back then, HI had a nice dept store called the Liberty House, but they've been closed for yrs. I got a purse there.
    - Went to a luau & played tennis at my hotel
    - Went to this high, windy picturesque spot...forgot the name
    - Went to this park w/ all these wrapping roots, etc.

31. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 8, 2010

We went to the Polynesian Cultural Center and watched the Luau at nighttime. Snorkeling is fun too. I heard Hanama Bay (sp?) is nice but when I went there to go snorkeling the wind really stirred up the water so I couldn't see much on that day! I'd love to see dolphins and turtles someday. I only snorkel from the beach, not from a boat so I can swim back when I need a rest! =) Have a GREAT TIME!

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2010

Never been to HI, but I wanted to say have fun. Don't forget to watch the sunset on the beach.

33. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 9, 2010

Look for a bamboo forest there, we didn't have a lot of time on Oahu, so I don't know if there's one? When we were on Maui we went to one and it's in the top ten of my list for the greatest events of my life. The bamboo grows about thirty feet tall and is extremely thick, we sat for 30 minutes and looked up and all you could see was green light filtering through the leaves. When the wind blows the bamboo clatters, it's a surreal feeling and was totally free.

Be sure to take a lot of deep breaths, the air is so fresh and clean, when you get home you'll notice the stench of your city, or at least we did.

34. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 9, 2010

The tip I have? Take me with you! :p

Really, though, have a wonderful time!! I've never been to Hawaii, but my husband (who has been there) and I hope to make it there in the not-too-distant future.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

We went out on a sail boat for an afternoon & snorkeled off of that. OMGosh the angel fish we saw were AMAZING!!! I could've stayed there for the whole trip!!!

We did a Luau...it was really fun... the bus that took us there the beach at sunset. It was so much fun. I don't remember the food being bad. The entertainment was GREAT!!!

36. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jan 9, 2010

Oahu Revealed

Jem,
    Just remembered this book! The best resource for planninng a trip is the book Oahu Revealed. They have these books for each island. Great tips on where to eat, snorkel, hike, hotels, etc. We used these books on Maui and Kauai and found lots of "secret" spots that most tourists miss. I highly recommend it!

37. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jan 9, 2010

Skip the international market downtown (overpriced) and hit the flea market. You'll get the same thing for a much better price.

38. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 12, 2010

heads up- Pearl harbor is closed. They are redoing the museum and they have to shut it down for a few weeks. Check when you get here, but I am pretty sure it is clased right now. Gotta go get kids- I'll try to contribute more later!

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

When we went a lot of Pearl Harbor was "shut down" because of the President's visit, but you could still go see it, just not tour it.

40. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 12, 2010

No, it is shut down for the new museum they are building. It will open again in a few weeks.

My short list:
    Kailua Beach on the windward side (or lanikai- they are next to each other) These are by far the best beaches on Oahu. They are soft and calm and beautiful. Kailua has shade, Lanikai does not. Kailua has a beach park with restrooms, Lanikai is tucked behind a private neighborhood.
    North Shore- plan a whole day- Dole Plantation-get ice cream! Mmm. The rest of it is not that exciting. There is a big maze and a kids train. Turtle Beach is cool- take the first right fork past Dole and drive until you see people parked- that is the turtle beach. There might not be any this time of year, but they swim in the break and come up to sun on the beach. There is also Shark's cove- a good snorkle spot- just a couple beaches down. Haliewa is a cute little town where you can get lunch and shave ice.
    Windward - Polynesian cultural center is supposed to be awesome. I have not been there yet.
    Kuoloa Ranch on the windward side- this is where are the movies are filmed- LOST, 50 first dates, godzilla, etc.... They do a neat movie tour for $15 and also horseback riding and ATV tours.
    Also I have not been here, but heard it is the hidden gem of Hawaii- there is a macadamia nut farm across from the ranch (before you get to Chinaman's hat). Supposedly they do an awesome tour and a little show for $15 and all the free samples of nuts and coffee you want. I believe it is closed on Tuesday. They have no website.
    There is a waterfall hike close to Waikiki. Manoa Falls- can be very muddy. Only about 1 mile but up a slow incline.

If you want any help pm me!

41. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

Advice via my BF, because I have never been - Don't go on the pineapple tour. According to him it was absolutely boring, and then they got stuck out there for 3 hours because there was no bus. The whole trip was a comedy of errors, except not that funny. lol. I know he adamantly tells people NOT to go there now.