Going to Fifth Grade in Fall

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mommyre, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Hi guys,
    I haven't been on in a while, and just graduated in May! I got a fifth grade teaching position for next year. Any tips or tricks would be helpful!

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

Hi, and congrats. You'll like 5th grade. Try fifth grade under the grade level forums. Lots of helpful info.

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 4, 2008

:) Welcome to fifth grade! You will love 5th graders!

Just a couple of small things from me for now. (I'm supposed to be getting ready to leave for lunch with the family! ::removes towel from hair:: I'm a little late! :))

Be enthusiastic! 5th graders (or mine at least) seem to be wired all the time! Show that you have some energy and are interested in them and their interests.

Stand your ground. They need to know you're their teacher. In my experience, this age group really wants to be your friend. Keep the boundaries in mind as you get to know them.

One of the greatest things about this group is that most of them are really and truly looking to please you. They want to succeed and do well for you!

Pass some of the normal teacher duties off to students once you have them trained. I found that my life in the classroom became a lot easier to manage when I gave them responsibility and let them take charge - attendance and lunch count, classroom library organizers, cleaning groups after centers to straighten things up...delegate! :)

Ok, I really should get ready to leave now....I'll be back later on! :) Good luck in 5th grade!

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 4, 2008

hehe...that's where we are. :)

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

oops:blush: Hard to tell from the front page.

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 4, 2008

Don't feel bad. I clicked on New Posts to view all the new ones and had to check before I said the same thing! :)

8. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Thanks mstnteacherlady! and shasha379 don't feel bad, I had to double check the forum twice when I was posting!

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Try to be as energetic as you possibly can. Fifth graders respond well to high energy.

Let them work in teams as much as possible.

As someone stated before, give responsibility to them when applicable. It'll make your life so much easier.

Try to explain to them WHY something happens. My fifth graders always seem to want to know WHY we're doing this.

Good luck with fifth grade! I hope you'll love it as much as I do!

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

You are going to love fifth grade, and you will be surprised how much they are able to do. Mostly, they will get humor at that age, and if given opportunities and choices in the work they complete (if you are giving a book report, you can give a list of activities that can complete; we did this with a social studies project - they had a choice of doing a powerpoint, a float, a written report, American Idol where they had to come up with a song for their state, or a game show and they gave us some fantastic projects!)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2008

Hi. Welcome to 5th grade.

In the first half of the year, 5th graders seem so very young. With some groups, though, you start to see some pre-teen silliness in the second half of the year. You need to have consistent rules and boundaries with them. Though they don't need as much downtime as younger students might, and they transition pretty well, you still need to vary active and less-active lessons.

5th graders love to play review games. Even just tossing a foam ball to the students to respond to questions is a big hit.

Mastering all operations with fractions and mixed numbers is one of the important goals in math. I ease my students into fractions starting the second week of school, and we practice, practice, practice all year long. Use the first week or so of school to test their mastery of multiplication and division facts. Let parents know that instant recall of all facts to 12 is a necessity. I don't spend much class time on it, personally, though I know others do. There's too much else to cover.

5th grade usually studies American history. You can start early and look around thrift stores for any historical fiction books, or non-fiction books that pertain to the topics.

12. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Congrats on your new job! I think in terms of behavior managment for 5th graders you need to be consistent and fair. They need to know that you will follow through on what you say and won't let some kids get away with things, while others get in trouble.