Going to Disneyland on March 5-6, any tips??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

So, this will be my first trip to Disneyland (actually, I went when I was two and have no memory of it, so that doesn't count). This will be my hubby's very first. A whole bunch of us guys and girls are going to Disneyland for a bachelorette party. The bride doesn't want to do the typical naughty stripper/drinking type thing. She wants a fun quirky party, so this is a surprise trip!!! :) Her finance is also going as he isn't doing a bachelor party. And most of her friends are guys, so us bridesmaids invited them as well! :)

So, any tips? Weather wise, what clothes should we pack? Sneakers? Should I bring some sort of backpack or something to carry my stuff in?? I honestly don't even know what else to ask.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2011

Glad you said Disneyland & not California Adventure, which was a total waste of money! For the same admission price, Disneyland is SO MUCH bigger & better. Dress in layers w/ definitely comfortable shoes & jeans. You can bring a backpack if you want. (I personally never do when I go to amusement parks.) But, you can wear a crossbody bag, so your hands will be free.

Hopefully, it hasn't become like Magic Mountain where all the main rides charge you $1 to store your purse in a locker before getting line for each ride. Have fun!

Look here to read people's reviews (including mine that's in there somewhere):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/disneyland-resort-anaheim

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2011

I haven't ever been to Disneyland, but I've been to Disneyworld many times. If you see something called a Dole Whip, eat it. You will not regret it. I don't know if they have them in that park or not.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

I haevn't been to Disneyland in a long time. We went in April & my mom has pix of us from the beach with blankets wrapped around us!!!! So I'd bring some different layers for sure, sunscreen.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2011

Lockers at Disneyland are near the main entrance and can be a good idea.

California Adventure does have some good rides. My favorite is Soaring Over California. There's also interesting food. I wouldn't get a ticket JUST to it, but a ParkHopper that allows you to go back and forth is a good deal.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

Yes yes yes on the Dole Whip!!! They are outside Frontier land, I think. I also love Soaring Over California, but I had major anxiety the last time I went on it. Weird.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

I third the Dole Whip!!! I've only had them at Disneyworld though!!!

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

They have them at Disneyland. They have two choices. The regular Dole Whip, which is like pineapple sorbet, and another kind that has the sorbet plus pineapple juice, so it's kind of like a slushy. Delicious!!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

We had them both on our last trip to Disneyworld last year... we shared them with each other!!!! YUMMY!!!!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2011

Yeah, to me, that's the ONLY good ride there. I didn't go to CA Adventure for a LONG time after they opened, but when I finally did, I was pretty disappointed. If you like thrill rides like I do, there's none of that there. A few rides were closed, then they would reopen, then close again. It's like a gamble & hopefully you happened to be passing by at the right time or you'd miss being able to ride the ride. :mad: They'd have to really add-on tremendously to make me want to go there ever again. Disneyland's so much better & of course don't miss strolling through Downtown Disney while you're there. It's a rather small area of shops & restaurants. It's OK. To me, it's the type of area you only have to see once, then the excitement is gone (talking about Downtown Disney here, not Disneyland itself! :))

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

THe other bridesmaid lives in SOcal so she was able to get some sort of great deal on two day parkhopper tickets (I believe, I really have no clue about these sort of things) for $99 (I don't even know if that's a good deal! Seems a lot)

Thanks for the tips and food advice, guys! I will definitely bring an extra sweater, socks (just in case I get wet on a ride), sunscreen, a hat, and a handless bag (I should have mine somewhere at my other house). I wish I could be more excited but knowing that it'll be cold and probably cloudy/overcast makes this trip not as fun. Poo.

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

Since you have a two day parkhopper I would definitely go to both parks. I love Soaring Over California too. I can drive to Disneyland in 12-13 hours and have a friend that lives there so I go 5-6 times a year. Make sure you check out the fastpass and study the map you get at the entrance. I always rent a locker. I think the best place to eat in the park is on Main Street and it is a full restaurant...you can eat outside...can't think of the name but they have a good breakfast and the chef likes to come out to visit guests at the table. Have Fun at the Happiest Place on Earth:)

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

The two day park hopper is a great deal, I've done that with my cousin several times. I have an annual pass and go about a dozen times a year at least. I LOVE IT. If you are doing both parks, its best to do the two days so you won't feel rushed.

1. Dole Whip is a must... Down main Street to the left at the entrance to Adventureland in front of the Tiki room

2. Churros are a must... there are several throughout, but I always get one by the Haunted Mansion.

3. Wear comfy shoes, bring a jacket. If you bring a backpack, get a locker for $7.

4. California Adventure has two main areas down for new areas that they are creating, but most rides are still open and fun.
    * California Screaming is the best roller coaster there
    * Soaring over California is an awesome experience (I get butterflies every time because I am a fraid of heights)
    * Tower of Terror is great. Love it
    * The rapids ride is fun IF you don't mind spending the rest of the day wet.

5. For non ride fun... The Animation Academy at California Adventure is really cool. I am terrible at drawing, but my characters come out great. Down the ramp there is a cute little area to explore and you can take a quiz to see which Disney character you are. Silly Fun

6. Take a camera with plenty of room for pix.

7. Don't skip The Jungle Cruise. Its a slow relaxing ride when your feet hurt, but the tour guides are pretty funny.

8. Fast Pass... Great for Indiana Jones and Space Mountain because they generally have the longest lines.

9. If you are a Michael Jackson fan, Captain EO is still playing in Tomorrow Land

10. Take a small purse or bag with just what you need. A big heavy purse can start to bother you after a while. There is an atm in Frontier Land right next to the little pathway to Adventure Land.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

Go to the Aladin show at California Adventures. It is hilarious (the genie adds in jokes that are current to popular issues) and you won't be sorry you saw it!!

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

I MISS my annual Disney pass. It is a great place for a fun date night. When my sisters and I went, we had one rule: no rides. Sounds crazy, but there are so many "hidden" things in Disney that you would have no clue about unless you searched for them. For instance, there is an antique/estate jewelry store that most people never know about. When you live in SoCal and have an annual pass, there are so many things to explore, without feeling the pressure of having to go on rides and wait in line. My BF and I used to love to get dinner in the New Orleans square and watch the light show.

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 20, 2011

Another fun thing is the hidden mickeys. They are everywhere.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2011

Wow. So much to do in so little time!! We'll be moving down, closer to south CA. So, I may have a chance to go again when I don't feel as rushed or stressed (we are also moving during that same time!! Argh!)