Going to be a long year!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Aug 31, 2016.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2016

So we just finished day 8 but only 3rd day of full day for our kinders. I feel like I have been run over by a truck. I had a parent on day 2 last week call and complain that her daughter was being bullied. Btw she didn't just call once. She contacted me on classdojo. Called the office and left messages twice all before 12. Well as I have watched the child over the last week I really think maybe it was her daughter that started the whole thing. Then I have a student who didn't come until the 3rd day missed the next day and has been tarty and by tarty I mean has missed the first ha our and half of school twice since. Btw this student has probably never been talked to, or even held a pencil before in his life plus he does have a little bit of a behavior problem.. Then another little guy probably needs to be in PCD. He doesn't communicate, can't hold a pencil ,and stares off into space most of the day. I will say he is very compliant. Then I have a smarty pants who has had a rough past couple of months and I'm thinking Grandma who just happens to be a teacher allows a lot of obnoxious behaviors because of all the issues going on in his life. Then there all kinds of new things our principal has put on us. Plus to top it all off my brother in law had to move in with us. Grrrrr like I sad it's going to be a long year.

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 31, 2016

I am so sorry! I completely empathize. I have a rough group this year myself. Try and take it one day at a time. We will muddle through somehow!

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  4. Teach with hope.

Teach with hope. Rookie

Sep 1, 2016

Hang in there! Think about what you can do to build community in your classroom and strengthen relationships between the students and between you. I have had some really rally tough groups, but if I take the time to build community and relationships at the beginning it makes a world of difference. Kids will work for you if they see you truly care. If you have strong relationships, crystal clear boundaries and a sense of community the whole dynamic will change. Best of luck! You got this!!

Hope

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2016

Thanks for the reply. This morning, morning work and walk to the gym went smoother than it has all week. I was just tired yesterday. I watched some Housewives and went to bed early and this morning I am back to my old self. Hopefully it will be a good day.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 1, 2016

Good for you for rebounding, txmom. Continue to inspire.

7. wavedave3

wavedave3 Rookie

Sep 10, 2016

It might be a long year, but it sounds like it will a year full of progress and many "firsts." It will be great to look back at the end of the year and see how all of your hard work has paid off!

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2016

Well just a little update. Some good some bad. My little one who was tarty so much is still tarty but has added 3 more absences to his record and we are only 15 days into school. My little one who is delayed, well I spoke with my principal and we are going to start RTI for speech as soon as possible making a path for special Ed testing sooner rather than later. My little smarty pants, well his grandma called and complained and wanted him out of my class. Principal pretty much told her I was a good teacher and she wasn't moving him (that's the good) we rarely get a pat on the back from our principal so I took this as a pat on the back. One of my top kids moved unexcpectly. Got a new one on Friday. He is 5 and has never been in school. No head start no prek no daycare. He seems behind but nothing I can't handle. His brother on the other hand. He is 6 and has never been to any formal school either. Thank goodness he isn't in my class. And my little one whose mom called so many times last week. Well she took her for the weekend and almost didn't bring her back until the cops got called. (Grandmas has custody) I'm still thinking it's going to be a very long year. But at least I have the knowledge that my principal is behind me and thinks I'm a pretty good teacher.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 11, 2016

Does your school have a tardy policy?

czacza likes this.
  10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2016

Yes we do but really it's not that strict. All we do is send home a tardy slip and the parent has to sign it. And really he's in kinder so it really isn't his fault. Now our absences policy is much stricter. To be able to go or do any extra things such field trips, pep rallies, parties, basically anything fun we do. They have to be in school 90% of the total days we have been in school. We go to the pep rally at the high school on day 30 something. He has all ready reached his limit. So he won't be going. To our community taking away those things is like taking away your breakfast. It's all about the fun stuff. Parents in the past have gotten down right ticked off because their child has not been allowed to go. But it is clearly stated in our student handbook so there is nothing they can do. Many parents just keep their kid home that day so there goes another absence towards the next activity. We have horrible attendance.

otterpop likes this.
  11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2016

We have an interesting tardy policy: After 3 tardies it's a detention. I used to think this was a horrible policy given that our students aren't bringing themselves to school, but, when not enforced, kids come in as late as a half hour (or more!). So, while it's likely unfair to the kids, it does encourage parents to bring their kiddos on time (and I teach at a very affluent school....for the most part, moms don't work, they all have personal drivers and nannies, and not to say their morning's are stress free, they definitely have a lot of advantageous that might make it easier to get to school than the average person).

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 12, 2016

Wow, since they are in Kindergarten, none of these issues seem to be their fault. It's all lazy or lack of parenting at home! Good luck with them. They sure are lucky to have you!

txmomteacher2 likes this.