Going to Abu Dhabi!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SandyCastles, Jul 9, 2010.

1. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I posted about a week and a half ago about possibly flying out to
    Arizona for an interview. In the meantime, I went to NYC, which is a short train ride away from me, for a third round interview to teach abroad in the fall. I found out last weekend that I would be offered a job and the contract came in the mail this week! So needless to say, I have decided to take this once in a lifetime opportunity and not go to Arizona at this point.

I will be going to Abu Dhabi as a part of their educational reform. They have about 1,000 native English speaking teachers heading over this year in an effort to have their students learn English because it is such a westernized society and their students had a hard time getting into college. I will be teaching Kindergarten, but some of the others going over will be teaching 3rd grade. Last year, teachers who went over were recruited for 1st and 2nd. Next year, they will be focusing on recruiting 4th and 5th grade teachers (I don't know about the high school, but they are doing that, too).

It is a terrific deal- paid housing, airline tickets once a year, health insurance and an awesome salary. There will be a bilingual teacher in the classroom as well, and each school will have 3-4 international teachers in it. I am a little nervous about being so far away from home, but it is such an exciting opportunity. It doesn't really seem real. WOW!

3. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

That sounds amazing!!! Good luck and congratulations!!!!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

WOW!!!

I know nothing about Abu Dhabi. Will your safety be a concern?? As an American, and as a woman?

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

Sounds like a great opportunity! Congratulations!

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

That sounds exciting! I have a friend who did this and loved it. Said it was a fantastic experience.

Aliceacc....from what my friend says, she gets treated very well as an American. The children are all from well off families who can afford this education and they treat the teachers with respect.

7. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I was originally offered a job in the Dominican Republic and turned it down because I was very concerned about safety. I did a lot of research and from what I understand, it is a VERY safe country. What they told me in my phone interview was basically, if you get out of line, you will be deported. That made me feel pretty good. I will have to wear a long dress and long sleeves in school but outside of school, I can wear what I wear regularly (just keeping in mind where I am, I dress conservatively anyway). I guess if you show TOO MUCH skin you might get some stares from the local men. Most people in this country are from other countries, so I think it will be fairly easy to "fit in" so to speak.
    I have read some horror stories about the driving though... so that will be interesting to see.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Sounds wonderful!

9. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

Would you mind telling us what company you got this job through? I would do this in a heartbeat if I didn't have a husband and kids! I hope you will blog about it so we can follow your adventures!

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

Congrats! What an awesome opportunity!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2010

I added you to our jobs list! YAY!

12. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

How exciting! That is an amazing opportunity!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

Truly a chance of a lifetime. Good for you. And keep us posted through the whole process.

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

Contact the UAE embassy in NY and let them know you need more information as to laws, regulations, customs and culture as you will be moving there.

Emirati Consulate in New York, United States
    Permanent Mission of the United Arab Emirates to the United Nations in New York, USA
    747 Third Avenue, 36th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    U.S.A.
    City: New York
    Phone: +1-212-371-0480
    Fax: +1-212-371-4923

And congrats on going to a beautiful place! (Google Abu Dhabi and the click on the Images link.) Abu Dhabi is Houston's sister city, and I'm quite proud of that :)

15. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 9, 2010

What a fabulous opportunity!! Enjoy your new adventure!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

And I DON'T have a husband and kids AND I'm recently single. Hmmm...

17. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

that sounds so interesting! Good luck and keep us all updated.

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

best wishes to you on your adventure

19. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I got the position through Caneducom. I know that Teach Away is very reputable, too. They would pay for the teacher, a spouse, and up to 3 kids under the age of 18 to travel and live there, so even if you are married, it could be an option. They are still hiring, but I know the in person interview dates are in the last round in the US for this year. They are still doing them in Abu Dhabi on an ongoing basis. Once I contacted the agency, it moved very quickly.
    I have googled non-stop! I have read accounts of teachers who are already there, and teachers who will be going over in the fall. The pictures are GORGEOUS!!! It seems like it really will be a great opportunity not only to teach but to meet so many new people. As teachers, we will live in our own apartments, but they will be in the same general area. This will be good for commuting to work, etc...

Missy- thanks for the info, I will definitely look into it. They are preparing us pretty well but I will definitely check that out. I know I have to register with the US one when I get over there.

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

It seems like a very pretty place and again I hope that it works out for you.

21. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

wow! i had seen many jobs postings on various sites for teachers there and have though about it many times! I just didn't have the guts to actually apply! Let us know how everything is =)

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

Congrats! I hope you'll stay active here to keep us informed. I saw a teacher finding housing on House Hunters International once and it looked like a great opportunity. Good for you for taking on an adventure.

23. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Awesome!! Make sure you watch Sex and the City 2!! (haha! I think that's where they went on their trip in the second movie.)

24. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 9, 2010

Thanks to all for the well wishes!!

I definitely plan to document my time over there through photos and writing in some type of online journal. I will have to look into that in the next couple of weeks.

As long as I have the internet, I will be here- I am sure I will need all of the advice I can get!

I saw the House Hunters and Sex and the City! I watched HH on youtube the other night because I watch everything I can, and I wanted to see what the housing is like. SATC I saw before I even knew I was going here, but I think it was actually filmed in Morocco because they wouldn't let them into the country. It was beautiful anyway, and I'm sure a lot of the cultural aspects hold true, except that in reality there are more expats than the movie portrayed.

25. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I saw that episode too...it definitely looked like an exciting opportunity.

26. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

How exciting! :D

27. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

My friend who taught there watches House Hunters and said much of the housing there is like what they showed the girls looking at during the episode. How exciting!