Going to a dif. school district

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Carebear05, May 4, 2008.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

May 4, 2008

Ok..so I have a question and it isnt even something I am planning on doing until after next year but a co-worker of mine and I are in the same situation and I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has gone thru this or is currently going thru it.

My co-worker and I both had a hard time finding a teaching job..so while both of us are very grateful to be where we are and to have a job...both of us are considering only staying another year. We like our co-workers and we like the school..but for her she's far away from home..and for both of us we really like the district we student taught in (we student taught in the same district)..and we'd love to teach there someday. We also both love our principal as a boss..but we're both aggravated because when it comes to parents he's way too nice..and they are basically walking all over the teachers. We are also both technology guru's and our district has like NO technology.

My question is..if you know you want to work somewhere else what do you do about the letter of intent? I mean..I want to teach in another district but who's to say I will find a job there. Since I had such a hard time finding this one, I'm very pessimistic about it. I'm just not sure if it's really bad to sign yer letter of intent stating youll be back and then accept another job and have to tell yer boss you wont be coming back. Letters of intent usually go out around March here and most of the time schools dont start interviewing until then or April. But then again if I dont sign it then I may end up with no job. Like I said I wont do this until next year but it's something my co-worker and I have been discussing.

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 5, 2008

If you do not have tenure, I would sign the letter of intent. It is just that...your intentions. It is by no means a contract.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 5, 2008

I would go ahead and sign the letter of intent. You will want to read it carefully before you sign it, though, to make sure that you're not committing yourself to anything.

Also keep in mind that you and your friend don't have to do everything together. It may turn out that you decide to leave and she stays, or vice versa.

5. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

May 5, 2008

No, we're not doing this "together." I said that she and I are in the same situation and that we are both considering not coming back after next year. I'm asking this for my own purpose.