Going to a chiro for back injury?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jun 20, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 20, 2016

Yesterday, I just tweaked my back a little after a hard workout (deadlifting). So I bent down to pick something up, and basically became hard to straighten up. Now, it feels sensitive and I'm still gingerly moving around. Is this the sort of thing that a chiro can treat? Since it feels like a "sprain" (i.e. ankle sprain), I can't imagine how manipulation of the area would fix it. (Like an ankle sprain), I imagine it just takes rest. (which sucks, since I want to work-out and get into shape)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2016

My daughter had great success with chiropractic treatments when she had problems with her back. She did have a herniated disc, which took a lot of time to recover from--3x/week chiro visits for several months--but she was able to get a lot of relief.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2016

My mom goes for things like you described. I just went over the weekend... I like to get back in alignment. Don't forget to ice after your adjustment.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2016

Yes, I think that a chiro can probably help this unless it's something very severe that would require surgery or something like that.

Be prepared to have several visits, possibly dozens. I went to the chiro after a shoulder sprain in a car accident. It took about six months with me going twice per week, but now my shoulder is almost back to 100%. It worked well for me.

Have you been to a chiro before? Some are more hands-on and will do manual adjustments, while others prefer more hands-off methods like stim pads or rolling tables. You just have to figure out what method(s) work best for you. I definitely prefer the hands-on stuff and the manual adjustments, especially the drop table. I find that those give me the most relief.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 22, 2016

Yeah, I've been before. Mine does a combo of manipulation and stimulation. With my back, it just goes out on me occasionally. It sucks right now because I have time right now to get back into good shape, and the weather is great. I did force myself to go on a good 4-mile hike yesterday though, so I think it will get back into working shape in the next couple days.