Going stiry crazy!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TrademarkTer, Dec 29, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 29, 2017

Anyone else going stir crazy over break? I'm almost ready to just go back to school.

Ugh. One of my favorite things to do is go for long jogs in the trails by where I live. I was hoping to do some of that over winter break, but really haven't been able to. The temperatures have been in the low twenties and teens, and with wind chill, sometimes feeling in the single digits, for the whole past week. It sucks to even set foot outside. Even when the temperatures are in the 30s, I would be willing to bundle up and do the jog anyway, but we haven't even had that.

I always kid myself that I'm going to pack up and head south, and every year I feel like I'm getting closer to doing just that.

3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Dec 29, 2017

I’m super stir crazy. Only 5 more days.

Though to be fair, I only started a week before break so I wasn’t there long enough to feel like I needed a break. Plus my friends are all out of town this week so I’ve been either at home binge-watching Netflix or spending money I really probably shouldn’t be haha.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 29, 2017

We go back on Tuesday. That's actually the other thing. I've been working real hard to save money to purchase a house or condo to get out of this apartment within a couple years so I have to avoid that particular temptation to spend, spend, spend, making it even harder to keep occupied!! I've gone as far as canceling Netflix and Hulu, and just watching videos off Youtube. (Even a small, but nice house around here runs around 300k).

5. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Dec 29, 2017

I'm OK with going back. Our 5 year old is more challenging than my worst kids. I'm probably one of the few teachers who has it easier at school.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Dec 29, 2017

Not me! I really like the group I am working with this year, but I have learned never to wish time off away. As to getting outside, don’t let cooler weather deter you completely. I can’t run anymore due to knee issues, but when I ran regularly, my barrier was -20 F windchill. As long as things were above that threshold, I could find comfortable clothing.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2017

Nope!

I'm hoping for a snow day or two to extend the break.

My DH is also a teacher, so we have enjoyed our time off together. We have spent a lot of time sitting in the recliners watching our favorite shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Our five dogs have also enjoyed having us home. We are excited to do this all the time when we retire.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2017

Nope, never was stir crazy on any breaks. I'll work again soon enough!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2017

I've only had off since last Friday and go back Tuesday so it's a short break....not getting bored.

bella84 likes this.
  10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2017

Not bored at all!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 30, 2017

My husband always takes the same time off that I have off. He has kept us busy going places. I like that we do things, but I really just want to veg out.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 30, 2017

You guys are right. I don't REALLY want to go back---I just wish the weather didn't suck this bad!!!

13. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jan 1, 2018

I'm ready to finish the break up and start student teaching. Mostly because the sooner I finish that, the sooner I get out of retail.

14. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

I understand this feeling so well. After my last experience in retail (I went back to a former job over Christmas to help out) I have absolutely no desire to ever work in a customer service position again. It's just not worth it.
    Good luck with your student teaching! And with finding a teaching job after so that your retail experience can end soon. ;)

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2018

This was a short break for us - we worked a full day on the Friday before, and return on the 2nd, so I am enjoying every day to the fullest. No stir crazy here.

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

Basically the same short break for us, except the Friday was a 1/2 day. Now that we go back tomorrow, I really don't want to, but this insane cold weather is killing me!!

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2018

If you're talking weather, well my sub-zero temps the last few nights have made me dread driving to work when it is still dark in the morning, and then driving home as/after the sun is setting. THAT I dread.

18. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

Yes. Lucky I just got a new car battery. This morning I had some frozen pipes, which was a real hassle. Had to have the landlord come and drill a hole in the wall to heat up them up. Ugh.....

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2018

Worse when there is no landlord, and, as owner, it is all on you to make the repairs!

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 1, 2018

Not stir crazy at all! Lots going on.

We have had problems with our garage door opener with the cold weather.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 2, 2018

I absolutely love not having to set an alarm for 5am!

I don’t go back to work until the 8th and there is plenty of YouTube, Netflix, and Amazon Prime to keep me occupied until then!

I am also not missing wearing work clothes! My feet get a rest from dress shoes and my neck gets a break from having a tie wrapped around it!

Also, finishing up a round of antibiotics due to the worst (and longest) sinus infection I’ve ever had. I finally went to the doctor after my 15th day of facial pain. She scolded me for waiting so long.

22. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 2, 2018

I wear a tie (for work) one day per year, and that's when we have Back to School Night. I gave up on that after my first year.

On any given day, less than 25% of our male teaching staff wear 'em.

I'm hoping to eventually make the job into admin. All of our male admin wear suit and ties so that is something I'm not looking forward to.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  23. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 2, 2018

And ugh, it's 9 degrees right now, and the heat is not working in my classroom!!!

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2018

I'm not back until Monday, but I do need to spend one day this week doing some grading and some planning. At least I don't need to venture outside in these frigid temps!

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 2, 2018

I'm guessing you don't read much. I'll never be bored if I have a book!

MrsC likes this.
  26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2018

I'm getting a good start on my reading goal for 2018!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 2, 2018

I read over 200 books last year. And I don't even get summers off! I don't think I've been bored since I learned to read :)

28. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jan 2, 2018

This break flew. I haven't been able to go out either due to the weather which is fine with me. I am reading several books and watching multiple series. I did spend way too much time online shopping and playing with my new "toys" over this break. I did devote a few hours to school work, just to get it out of the way. For the first time ever, I really am dreading going back. Actually, it is about 1 degree so I am dreading leaving the house!

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 2, 2018

It was 0 degrees when I got into my car this morning. The heat is not too great in my classroom today so it's a good thing the kids aren't back until tomorrow (hoping they fix it). I was sick for about half of the break so I really didn't feel like doing much anyway.

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 2, 2018

I finally got home yesterday after a week of family holiday fun. My flight home was cancelled 4 times due to weather and I arrived home 3 days later than planned. Thankfully I have this week to rest, catch up on some things at home and enjoy lunch out with friends. The weather is frigid... but we make the most of it. I'm hoping to enjoy an outdoor skating trail this week, too.

31. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2018

Our last day was the 21st and we don't go back until next Monday the 8th, so it's a long break. I was visiting my family in my home state this past week, and I've been back in town for a couple of days now. I'm not bored yet, but I probably will be by the end of this week. I enjoy "lazy days" but it does get boring after awhile.

32. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 2, 2018

We go back the 8th. I'm going to pop over to school tomorrow to do a couple hours of organizing, but I'm in no way trying to go back. :D If we had a snow day or something on Monday I would be very very fine. :eek:

33. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2018

Temps are warming and the sun is coming out. We have a planning day on Monday but I got a wonderful jury summons. Soooooo I have been up at school the last two days doing the things I would do that day. Yesterday I was here for 4 hours. Today I am here just piddling around moving desks making sure lesson plans look just right. Enjoying some quiet time (aka as listening to my music on my front row right now Gary Allan) because at my house there are teenage girls. I will let husband listen to the giggling and drama for awhile. I am probably getting more accomplished the last two days than I would when everyone is here. No one to talk too!

34. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 5, 2018

We moved into a new house the second weekend of December, so bored was definitely not in my vocabulary over break! My husband and I also both took turns being sick over break and my car ended up needing new brakes (that my husband installed). I could have used a few more days, but we were back to school this past Tuesday already!