Going into my Second Year

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by willow129, Aug 12, 2013.

1. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

Hi guys!
    I'm nervous for the new school year (we start later than most though)
    I think it would be nice while I lesson plan today to hear about how the first year is your worst and the second year gets better. :) I'm terrified because I feel like I was so excited last year and then it just got beaten out of me and then I was really depressed round about January/February. Will this happen so much this year? I'm afraid of getting excited again. But...I know better.

To help me get excited: How is the second year better than the first year?

Thanks! :)
    Willow

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2013

My second year was a million times better. I still had my share of problems (and I still do), but I saw so much personal/professional growth from my first year to my second year and this really helped to boost my "teacher confidence." I felt like I was making progress, learning from my first year mistakes and just doing an overall better job.

In fact, my second year teaching was my best year BY FAR (this is my 6th year). I still had that "new teacher" mojo where I was excited, eager and bursting with ideas to try. I had yet to get bogged by the petty "politics" of teaching in my district or teaching MS.

You will have a much better - albeit not perfect - year. Enjoy!

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 12, 2013

Oooh, I love this thread! I'm going to be starting my second year this year, too! :)

5. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 12, 2013

I'm in my second year, too! I know it will be better--I know to follow my instincts and not take bad advice this time around, ha ha.

6. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Aug 12, 2013

Add me to the list of those starting their 2nd year! Although my first year went incredibly well, so I'm a little nervous that this will be my "bad" year! :unsure:

7. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 13, 2013

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Last year was my first year and so horribly bad that I spent all summer thinking about going back to school for something else :( I'm going to try it again this year!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2013

I'm finishing my third year teaching. My first year was not awful, but my second year was better because I was more confident in myself as a teacher. I better knew how to handle discipline situations and parents.

At the same time, I do sort of feel like I've had 3 first years. Every year I've taught something different and I've been unable to really use any of the stuff I used the year before. That part has been the most stressful for me.

I always get burned out around midyear. Then I get back into it and then I am ready for the year to be over near the end. I don't think that will change, I felt the same way when I was *in* school! :)

9. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

Why are you teaching different things every year Lucybelle? I would find that really tiring too

10. lillycat

lillycat Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I'm going into my second year too. Scared to death right now as my first year ended badly. I just feel like I'm never going to be a good teacher and it makes me really sad :(

11. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

you can do it Lillycat! You obviously *want* to be a good teacher and that's where everyone starts. I don't think anyone is awesome their first year. You have gotten this far, I bet not everyone even makes it through their first year, and you will learn and improve :)

12. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

I just noticed you're a music teacher too!!! Yay :D What do you teach specifically?? I don't know any other first year music teachers.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

The second year is definitely better, especially if you are in the same grade and subject! I think all teachers have times they feel burnt out, as do other jobs! Try to consistently get enough sleep and do something in the evening or weekends that helps you recharge and has nothing to do with school. Try to be more efficient with planning time and not work as late or as much from home.

14. lillycat

lillycat Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I teach K-6 general music, 7-8 general music, high school instrumental/vocal music, and high school advanced music which is pretty much music appreciation with a different name. Instrumental and Vocal music are in place of band and choir since there aren't really enough kids in the school for full ones. I feel better now than I did earlier. I was finishing my pd for TESS (are any other states doing that?) and it was making me feel very moody and panicky.

15. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

WOW lillycat you have a lot on your plate!! Do you teach in a very small district? I teach K-8 general music and choir in a pretty heavily populated city.

What is TESS?

16. lillycat

lillycat Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

Our district is very small, yes. It looks like a lot, but my classes are very small so it's not as bad as it looks. I think TESS is just a thing where I live, but I wasn't sure. It's our new teacher evaluation system and it's scary. I feel a lot better now than I did yesterday, getting my schedule figured out and my first weeks lessons written seems to have helped.

17. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 19, 2013

Good :) we had a new evaluation system in our district last year and everyone was really super stressed about it...and they also kind of gave out a lot of not very good evaluations and the union was up in arms about it . Oi. That and all the snow days we had making the year ssooooo long and not having a contract and it being my first year. Ugh. So yeah I can understand evaluation systems being stressful. It feels good to get planning done though, I agree. It's nice to know more this time around....

I would actually love to live in the country and teach in a small district like where I grew up (I think)

18. Ranarace

Ranarace Rookie

Aug 19, 2013

You can't imagine how relieved I am to see other teachers sharing my same concerns!
    I am super nervous, (we start school in two weeks,) I feel like I am going to mess up big time!
    I've changed schools, and I am liking the people so far, they're very friendly. But I will be teaching a different grade ( I used to teach Grade 2, now I'll be teaching 4th grade.)