Going into my 3rd year (part 2)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 28, 2019

In my 1st and 2nd years here, I was observed only two times each year. But now it’s the “magical 3rd year,” so will observations ramp up a bit just because? The 1st time I had a 3rd year, it seemed like the P came in quite often but I think this had more to do with the P being a brand new principal so she probably spent a lot of time in all classrooms?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2019

Do you have a contract with evaluation guidelines? Does your state have an evaluation system?
    What is magical about year three?

4. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 28, 2019

I live in Ca and tenure happens after the second year. So for me year 3 I was tenured. Before my current school I had only worked in charters and privates so-no tenure and observation rules were even kind like...not set in stone so if you kept you head down and didn't have complaints you might never see anyone. When I went to a public district employment it was-Years 1 and 2 - 2 observations (fall and spring) and plenty of walk through but nothing excessive. then years 3+ it is once every other year. Last year I didint have to be observed. Still had a few walk throughs though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 28, 2019

For us, it's very clearly spelled out in the contract. No magic. We receive tenure after 4 years. Non-tenured teachers receive 2 announced observations and 1 unannounced per year. Tenured teachers receive 1 announced and 1 unannounced per year.

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 28, 2019

It’s tenure year. So I figure admin will perform more observation and walk throughs just because it’s up or out.

7. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 28, 2019

That is what I figured you meant since its 3 years in a lot of states. In my experience we had a set amount, it didn't increase or change tenure year. No one was trying to "catch me" being ineffective or something. The first 2 years There was a closer eye paid to me but I was new and I had preliminary credential (5 or less years of teaching or 7 or less with a waiver), but nothing increased in the last few months of tenure decision making.

I have good admin though and I did my job well and always had good scores on my evals.

I can see if you have a crummy P or you end up with "that class" there could be more walk throughs and closer eyes. I would hate that-it feels intrusive and like a lack of professional trust if you have previously been rated highly..

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2019

It will be in the evaluation plan attached to your contract.

Our first year has nine formal evaluations and several hours of informal ones. Years 2 to 4 is two formal evaluations. Year 5 begins tenure. After that, it is formal (2 observations) every three years. That doesn’t count district walkthroughs, which is for everybody.

Our regulations require it to be given to us with the first so many days of the school year.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2019

As has been said, the evaluation plan is usually a written document that outlines how many observations you'll have. This doesn't mean that your principal won't just pop in unannounced from time to time, but it's doubtful that you'll have formal observations outside of what the plan requires. This is true whether or not it's the year before you gain tenure.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 29, 2019

Why I ask is based on my last experience with tenure year. During my last 3-year stint, I was hardly ever watched and didn’t have formal observations during the 1st and 2nd years. Then 3rd year comes along with a new P and it felt like she was in my room a lot! Maybe it felt that way based on the previous two years? Or I just noticed it more?

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2019

It was probably a difference in their styles. I’m surprised that your district doesn’t outline how the evaluation process works. In every district where I’ve worked, the number, type, and timing of observations was written out for us.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 29, 2019

We’ve never had an official meeting to tell me how many times I was to be observed. Last year, the P came in early in the year, took notes, then we had a sit down talk. The only other observation was a dog-and-pony show that the AP said was the greatest show he’d ever seen. ;)

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 29, 2019

Since there was concern that a person could start strong, and then coast, you may have slightly more observations spread out over the entire year. Not being done as any kind of punishment, but to get a good reading.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 29, 2019

I get the feeling there will be more unannounced observations from both P and AP and closer looks at my lesson plans. The P dropped by several times last year by coming in, asking what was going on, and then leaving. I’m planning on more board work done by students since we’re going modified block so 100+ minutes per class is a long time for just lecturing and I do, we do, y’all do, you do.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 30, 2019

100 % of the same here. Like, 100 % lol. Of course, I'm also in California.

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 1, 2019

The year to step up your game.