Going in over break.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by holley.padula, Dec 28, 2009.

1. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

Ok, I couldn't find the original post where this came from.

I have decided I AM going to go in over break. I will go in Wednesday and try to spend the day refreshing the classroom and getting organized.

I think it is a good habit to get into. It's hard to get "in there" but once I do, I can enjoy the rest of my vacation knowing I am organized. :):)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2009

I went in the day after we got out for break. I rearranged my desks, put up things from the last unit, got out things or the next unit, cleaned my boards, changed the calendar, dusted, swept, and mopped. That way I had it all behind me and could enjoy the rest of my vacation knowing that my room was all ready to go.

I brought home some paperwork, but I plan in finishing it today. I'm going to take it all back to school tomorrow so I don't even have anything to take back to school when I go back.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 28, 2009

I stayed a few hours late on the last day to clean up. I'd love to refresh my room, but I doubt the time will arrive. By the time I teach two days after school and go to our twice a week meetings I don't really have much energy to change up the room. I did take down all the holiday stuff so that we can add fresh work after break. The janitor did move a bunch of things around for my new projector, so I honestly don't know what I am walking into on Monday.

5. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Dec 28, 2009

We are not allowed to go in :(

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 28, 2009

I went in today for about 7 hours, and I will probably go in the next 2 days, as well. Today was great! I did some re-arranging, new seating, dusted (dust bunnies were taking over my room!), and re-organized everything! It's like starting fresh.

I will probably spend tomorrow applying to grad school and working on my yearly review and goals. On Wednesday I'm going to do lesson plans. I have jury duty the week we return (Monday-Thursday), so I have to do 4 days of sub plans just in case. :(

7. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

I like to be neat and organized. I can have a little OCD when it comes to this. I am much better able enjoy my break if I have this time in the classroom. That is why I am doing it midweek rather than Sunday! :):)

8. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

It is amazing how much stuff there is to do! You can spend an 8 hour day over the weekend and still not finish everything!!!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

....I would much rather take an extra 45 minutes-hour on the last day before a break to neaten up (as a matter of fact, my CLASS took some time on that day to clean out desks, organize book bins, general organization of classroom-since they are the ones who benefit most from the organization and since they are the ones who get it disorganized!!). Breaks are for rest, reflection and rejuvenation.

10. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

Going in tomorrow and cannot wait! Last year I spent many Sunday afternoons in my classroom and cannot do so this year...how I miss that time all alone to accomplish SO MUCH!!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 28, 2009

I will do some lesson plans and grading over the break but will not be going in. I need this break to relax. I HAVE to do the lesson plans, and I might as well get the grading done now instead of next week, but other than that I plan to just relax.

12. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

I will be going in tomorrow, we are supposed to get some snow. I want to make sure I am able to get there. I am looking forward to putting on the radio and reorganizing the room. Cleaning, changing seating arrangement, lesson plans, unit planning and noone to bother me. I am sure I will be the only one in the building beside the janitor. I love the quiet time to work.

13. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

I think it just depends on your personality and when you like to do your work. I am tired and useless at the end of the schoolday! I am much "better" coming in on a weekend or vacation day.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2009

I admit it - I went in for half a day to get rid of all the holiday stuff and bring some order to things. Probably should have gone in more but I'm not going to. It will feel good not to walk into Christmas bulletin boards and messes, though.

15. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I'll be going in here and there. It's the only time to reorganize and refresh my brain!

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 29, 2009

Ditto! I get so bored sitting around at home! I literally have nothing to do: I'm broke so I can't afford to do anything that costs money; my friends (who live 1 hour or more away) work all day; my boyfriend works all day; I don't have a TV; I don't have the internet; I already read 7 magazines cover to cover; my tiny apartment is ridiculously organized and clean; it is 15 degrees outside and there is a foot of snow.

I feel completely relaxed. Going to school doesn't take away from that. It actually makes me feel more relaxed to go into school and get things accomplished that have been piling up for months.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2009

I wasn't going to go in, but I got a call at 9 AM this morning from our assistant superintendent that a pipe burst right above my classroom library. SO my classroom is flooded AGAIN and most of my library got wet. The school says they'll replace the damaged books, but I'll be going into a mess on Monday.

This is the third year in a row that I've had some water-related disaster over winter break.

argh.

18. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I agree with czacza. Breaks are breaks. I don't give homework on breaks, and I don't do school work (except for the lesson plans for my return). If my district thought it was important for me to be there I'm sure they would pay me for those days. I'm not holding my breath.

19. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

I'm in every third day to feed the turtles. (They have little aquarium heaters and chase after goldfish)

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

Yikes Mrs.R!

I'm not going in because now that I am a push-in BSI position and no longer a classroom teacher, I don't have much to do. I brought some work home with me that I've yet to do, but thats about it. I am anxiously awaiting our work day in-service though where we get to spend the whole day working in our school without the kids. :)

21. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

I went in today to do some straightening and to work on my classroom library. It was a good thing I did because it turns out their are issues with our server at school that no one in IT knew anything about. I didn't get all the work I wanted to get done because of that issue, but now it will hopefully be working when everyone is back on Monday. That saved me a HUGE headache.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

I went in today for 4 hours. I re-arranged the room, re-organized my math and literacy centers, prepped for Monday and put fresh name plates on the desks. It was a very productive day and the room looks great! I was not the only teacher there, which is always comforting.

23. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

I am here now. : ) I totally rearranged and I am implementing a lot of new stuff, so I need to get my act together. I am here about 3-4 hours today and I will probably do another 3 hours grading and filing in a few days and 1 day with the team doing planning.

24. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

I went in today. Glad I did the janitor hadn't dusted or cleaned anything after doing the floors. The room looked awful! I spent the first hour getting everything put back together from the janitor moving it. Then I was able to get busy.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 29, 2009

I went in for about 3 hours today and brought home a few things to work on for the upcoming month.

I changed out my focus walls, filed, and organized a bit. I also made copies for the next few weeks.

The floors were done last week, so I was able to come in and put the room back together. I took my Clorox wipes and cleaned the counters and desks.

Now I know when I go in on Monday everything will be ready.

I always give myself one work day during the vacation, I don't touch, look at, or think about it the rest of the vacation. Works for me. Staying late wouldn't have helped because 1. Floors weren't done yet 2. Other teachers would've been on the machines 3. I was flippin exhausted.

26. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 1, 2010

Haven't gone in yet

So, as of today..I have not gone in yet. I have no excuse other than just not wanting yet! :) I'de better in the next two days! :lol:

27. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 1, 2010

I had intended to go in. I may still go in tomorrow, but I doubt it. Oh well.

28. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Jan 1, 2010

Thats how I feel...oh well. It's cold here, and I want to be home. :)

29. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2010

I will go in tomorrow morning -- I will probably awake fairly early if my body is still on east coast times so I can get a TON of work done!
    Report cards go out wed so I have to get in there and just enter grades. I love it I bring a TV show on DVD and play that while I work in peace and quite!

30. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 1, 2010

I haven't needed to, and I guess I'll worry about it tomorrow.

31. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

I walked right out of the room on the last day before break. Way too tired to be productive! So instead I spent a good 6 hours over the course of 2 days in the classroom during vacation. Wrote out plans for the week, ran off and made what I needed, emptied all my buckets of books, ordered them and made labels for each bucket. Replenished student supplies, washed down the shelves and tables, and pretty much got things looking fresh and new.

Feels great, and I don't feel too badly about having to return on Monday!

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2010

I planned on going in before now...but it looks like I'll spend time in the room tomorrow. I don't like doing that on Sundays, but...

33. monsieurteacher

Jan 2, 2010

I've just decided that since Monday and Tuesday are PD days, (Monday at District Office, Tuesday at the school) I will just stay afterwards on Tuesday and get what I need to get done done (I may try to get in Monday afternoon too... just so I have an idea what I'm doing in advance.)

34. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

You're lucky you can get into your building on weekends. I suppose that is what some people would call a mixed blessing!

35. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

One of the best ideas in the world!:lol:

36. monsieurteacher

Jan 2, 2010

Haha... we'll see about that.

Under normal circumstances I would be panicking... a brand new class.. brand new kids... I have an idea what the classroom looks like, and a general idea of the daily schedule... but beyond that... nada.

But I'm still in Christmas break mode. I should be more worried... but I'm not.

I may pay for this next weekend.

37. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jan 2, 2010

I went in one day early on in the break, and got a lot done. If I had known I was not going to be able to get in the building on the 31st, I would not have paid for childcare on that day or driven over to work.......rg.

I have an IEP to write for Monday, and it would be nice if I could have used the computer at work for it. I will be using my planning period to finish it, I guess.

Since I have young kids of my own, I prefer a couple of short days during a break to super long days to get the extra work done.