Going Green classroom theme?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by junebug02, Mar 21, 2010.

1. junebug02

junebug02 New Member

Mar 21, 2010

I'm moving from third to fourth grade next year and want to change up my classroom theme. I used to do bees (lots of great ideas if you need them), but am thinking of trying to do an eco-friendly, going green theme. Any suggestions for bulletin boards titles, decorations, classroom displays, behavior plans, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 21, 2010

4. creativeteacher

creativeteacher New Member

Mar 22, 2010

Going Green Classroom Theme

I recently saw some cute environmentally-focused products from Creative Teaching Press.

Good Luck!:)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 22, 2010

Soooo many ideas. I'm going to start with using found materials for decorations. Bulletin board borders: corregated cardboard strips, newspaper strips, even recycled metal of some sort-tin foil?

Make or have the students make recycled mobiles-we're working the pre-schoolers right now to hang strings of beads from a bike wheel, wrapping the strings around the spokes. You could make mobiles out of recycled water bottles, or shells and driftwood from the beach. It does NOT have to look junky-just don't have too much of it.

Use creative, clean food packaging for storage. Maybe make a mailbox system out of cereal boxes you collect over the summer. Oatmeal containers for art supplies. Egg cartons for sorting small items. Fruit clamshells for crayons or beads, etc.

Find items in nature for math manipulatives-small pebbles, acorns, hard berries that won't go bad, etc.

Just a few ideas. If you go to http://www.craftster.org/, there are TONS of great art projects that you can do to decorate, like how to make an area rug out of the plastic bags you get at the grocery store, or how to make lamps out of found materials. This is a major project of mine for next year, so I'll post as I get more ideas!!

6. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

One big mistake I saw was someone who used new paper for their bulletin board. If you are going green, try to use recycled items in everything you do.