Going from teaching interviews to assistant interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Hey all,

I just registered, and it looks like a great community!

A little about me: I'm just finishing up my masters in early childhood education. I went straight from my bachelors in the same field to the masters. I've worked in preschools since high school (summers), and the last two years in grad school I've worked at a lab school in an infant/toddler classroom as an assistant. Most of my work experiences have been assistant jobs.

There are very few public school jobs in my area in the four districts I've applied to (read: 2, one I interviewed and didn't get and one the director is never "in", although the position has been posted for 3 weeks). There are 3 assistant jobs at the elementary level, two say K-2 and one is exceptional children.

I never expected to be interviewing for an assistant job again, but here I am. How do I make myself look good when I'm a. obviously overqualified and b. not likely to be an assistant next year. Also, how do I revamp my cover letter and what questions should I expect at interviews? Quick help is appreciated, as I hope to interview next week.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

I don't know how it is in your area, but here they don't depend on assistants to be in the same place next year. Assistants are more easily replacable.

All of our Aides in our department (except 1) hold a B.A. degree. One has completed her M.A. degree and several of us are currently pursuing our M.A. degree.

You obviously DO have experience as an assistant. That helps you tremendously compared to someone that is starting out without that experience. Most of the barrier you will have to face is whether your employer knows you can take the back seat and follow your teacher's orders. Sometimes that's hard if you are trained as a teacher and especially if you've never experienced being an assistant to begin with.

It can be a plus to have the education for most employers but they will wonder whether you can really be "just the aide." That's what you have to get across (if asked).

That doesn't mean, however, that they won't want you to take initiative whenever it is appropriate to do so. That's the perk they will be looking for. You can obviously handle more than the newbie aide and you have extra education and understanding to boot.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2008

Welcome!

What part of NC are you from? My husband is originally from the triangle. Are you willing to relocate within NC or out of state?

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

welcome...

and I honestly would like to say...

when you do this...

please write us back and tell us how!!!

at a total lost because I want to eat, and have benefits...
    and can't seem to manage to do that without earning 1/2 of what I normally make..

:(

6. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm living in the mountains of N.C., 30 minutes from Asheville. Aside from the 4 counties I've applied to, I've been stalking the websites of 4 counties in the mountains near where I got my masters (2 1/2 to 3 hours away). I really don't want to locate to the piedmont or coast, because I've been away from home for six years of college.

FYI, I did notice some pre-k teacher jobs in Durham, Raleigh, and Charlotte lately, if anyone is interested.

Master Pre-K, the way I'm able to do this (not that I want to) is living with my parents. So I'll be giving them some money for rent and utilities, but not as much as I would living on my own. *Sigh* A teacher with a masters gets about $33,000, I think an assistant is like $20,000. But assistants do get benefits, while subs don't.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 11, 2008

Miss J...

You are lucky you get benefits as an assistant. I don't. I don't even get sick leave and personal leave. I'm considered a contract employee. One thing I'm very grateful to get though is tuition reimbursement and I get to work everyday.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

But I think this is the 10 million dollar question. What do they think of you when you apply for an aide position?? And how do you graciously, and professionally answer questions without getting po'd! I just want to say, "I am applying because you guys won't hire me as a teacher!" there is no other answer. There are no other jobs.

I thought about the lunch aide job, 2 hrs, no benefits! :unsure:

The only way I was able to work as an aide again was because it was a part time job, and I had another part time job, with benefits. The two balanced out to a good salary.

That's what I would look for. But my part time job is very little hours, and no benefits. So I can't afford to take up my entire day with a full time job and no benefits.

Had a call for an aide job, and it's a charter school, so they work 7-415. That is ridiculous! I am working 8 hrs, further away, less money($20k) and more kids! For another $13k, I could be a teacher!

I feel that if I sub, I won't be obligated to a position, and can easily interview. But I must really sign up for more districts...

What would be ideal would be a temporary job as well. I worked for years as a temp secretary. Somehow, they lost interest in me. I have great skills, but in the last few years, they never called back after I did all the assessments. If I could do temp work and sub, I would have a good income. Maybe they think I am overqualified since I am a teacher now. sigh.. I would even take a $10 hr receptionist job, at least for a few days. The trouble is when it becomes long term, with low pay. 2 days here, and a few sub days there...is just fine. It has to be cost-effective. I can't go downtown for less than $12 an hr, because transportation costs.

9. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

I just e-mailed the guy in charge of hiring assistants at a great district. I really want to teach again, but I guess if I get the opportunity, I will take an aides job again. This is a district that I have no in with, so maybe this will work out for me.

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

Miss J., NC has a great reputation for early childhood. With your education & experience, I'd hire you as a lead teacher in my center (and we pay almost as much as local districts)! Look into the university lab school, high-quality preschools, etc.... don't limit yourself to public districts. Plus, many centers continue to hire throughout the year, so you may still be in luck.

11. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

Believe me, MsWK, I have been looking at every preschool listing in the area, private, public, corporate, etc. I worked part-time in a lab school at a university for the past two years, and it was fantastic! Most preschools around me don't have good wages, though. But thanks for your vote of confidence in me!

I've been reading a lot of threads in this discussion, and it's a crying shame that so many dedicated, qualified teachers are not getting jobs!

There just turned up two lead teacher positions for the pre-school at the community college. But the positions are not being filled until Sept. 2nd. The public school positions start at the latest Aug. 21st, when kids come, probably before. So do I not try for an assistant job, knowing that I may not get a lead teacher job? Or do I try for the assistant job, take it if offered, and possibly have to turn in my notice if I get a lead teacher job?

Ugh, I need an icon for pulling out my hair. :confused:

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

yeah, I think that one doubles for the hair-pulling smiley!

I feel your pain...

seems so weird... never been out of work in august before...

ever!