Going from 7/8 down to 6th grade

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by nstructor, Nov 26, 2011.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Nov 26, 2011

Have any of you done this? If so, what are the differences between 7th/8th graders compared to 6th graders? Thank you!

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Nov 26, 2011

I haven't had seventh graders or eight graders, however, I still talk to my old students. I can see a tad bit more maturity and responsibility in eight graders, however, seventh graders are testing the waters. Now when you compare them to sixth graders you get students that are immature, not yet ready for responsibility, but overall great students. They do test the waters, but normally that's your older crowd or late on in the Spring. I love sixth grade and I don't think I would switch, except to maybe fifth grade.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2011

My sixth graders want the responsibility but are not yet ready for the consequences. They need a lot more positives and baby steps for teaching procedures and routines that the seventh graders did not need. One example was an assignment break down. With the seventh graders, I could give them due dates of pieces and leave it at this. However, with my sixth graders, I actually need to check multiple times a week to make sure that these projects were getting completed.

Sixth graders still love their teachers and want to be helpful in any way possible. They want to be treated like adults with ideas and someone to be listened to, but they struggle to see things from multiple sides and really provide reasoning to support what they are saying.

Socially, they struggle with friendships a lot more than the seventh graders. We love twos, but when you throw in a third friend, things get really tricky.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 27, 2011

I went the other direction this year and am teaching 7th in addition to 5th & 6th. What I have seen this year is that the younger ones are just more innocent. :angel: They are much more concerned about pleasing adults than 7th graders. They are more compliant and do not try to push boundaries like the older ones. Good luck! I think you'll love it!:D

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 27, 2011

I love 7th & 8th grades, although 7th are my favorites.

I detest 6th graders.

They are WAY too "young" and needy for me. I taught them one full year and one partial year. I ask NEVER to have them unless they are desperate . . . really, really desperate.

This year my 7th graders are 11 turning 12 instead of the usual 12 turning 13. OMG! They are driving me insane!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2011

IMA---how in the world did you get an entire class of sixth graders as seventh graders! That would be so difficult.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 2, 2011

I HATE 7th with a passion - and I have them last period. Sixth are sweet.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2011

Detest? Such a strong word for the children I love! :haha:

10. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Dec 3, 2011

I really like 6th graders. They're more mature than elementary students, but their little hormones haven't gone crazy, for the most part yet like 7th graders, and they are calmer. Also, I find they comply with the rules more readily than 7th/8th graders, for me anyway.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 3, 2011

I have no idea how that happened. They were making me insane early in the year, and I started noticing that when they had birthdays they always told me they were turning 12, not 13 like usual.

Normally they are mostly 12 and turn 13 during the school year, and I have very few who are 11 turning 12. This year it's the opposite. Really strange . . . and I don't like it!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 3, 2011

I'm glad somebody loves them, because it's sure not me!

Lots of people dislike my darling 7th graders, though. :p

13. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 3, 2011

Are 6th graders able to work independently like 7th and 8th graders?

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

My sixth graders are able to work independently and in groups. They need very clear expectations, but so do 7th and 8th graders.

15. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 3, 2011

Very true!!!!

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2011

Oh, absolutely.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

Please don't ever forget that those students some of you proclaim to 'hate' and 'detest' are the lights of their parents' lives.

18. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Dec 10, 2011

I teach 7th grade and can say, I honestly can't see myself teaching any other grade. I student taught a 7th grade language arts class and I was lucky enough to be hired for a 7th grade language arts position. I love every minute of it. Never a dull moment!

7th grade is that awkward, yet critical year that is oh so necessary. During this year, students are testing the waters and starting to find out who they really are. To some they are called "little monsters" and others "diamonds in the rough," but they are kids like any other. It's amazing how this grade-level group wants to be so independent, yet all it takes is a sticker on a test paper or an art project to bring the "little kid" back out of them. :)

I'm very fortunate and blessed to have a job that I love and enjoy going to everyday!

19. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jan 2, 2012

Good point (and that could be the cause of some of their behavior problems). Nice that we can all be ourselves on this site, though. Could save some teachers' sanity :)