Going from 5th to 2nd

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher Chele, May 1, 2010.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 1, 2010

My principal just asked me to move from 5th to 2nd next year.:eek: I've taught the younger kiddos before, but it's been a while. After the intial shock, I am getting very excited!!!:D I need advice...what are some of your favorite things that I could buy/make? And any words of advice are appreciated.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 1, 2010

Ideas for beginning of the school year:

1. I buy each student his/her own pencil box. Inside the pencil box is a box of crayons (I prefer using the "fat" crayons versus the "skinny" ones because the skinny crayons break easily). I also provide a box of colored pencils, a pencil, large eraser, and dry erase marker & eraser. Believe it or not-- all these things fit inside their pencil box!

2. Handwriting Packet. I always photocopy a handwriting packet for each student. Second graders often need handwriting practice throughout the year, but especially at the beginning of the school year!

3. Math Wall. I have a math/calendar wall. On the math wall, I have a calendar (we practice things such as: What day is it today? What day will it be two weeks from today? Which day of the week does the 30th fall on? Which month is two months after this month). I also have a velcro pocket chart that we practice money with (http://store.trcabc.com/money-pocket-chart.html). I have up two poems for practicing even and odd numbers and I post a large hundreds chart (http://reallygoodstuff.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=e92966c2-d932-4afd-9b3c-24987d593db7#) that we use to practice skip counting (10s, 5s, and 2s). Later in the year, we skip count by 3s and 4s for multiplication practice.

Also, during math wall/calendar time, we practice reciting "doubles" each day for the first month of school or so (1+1=2, 2+2=4, 3+3=6, etc).

4. For behavior, I utilize the "flip-a-card" system (http://reallygoodstuff.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=5dc9ce9d-a127-4d06-a47d-6b4fb203f708). All students start out on "green" in the morning. Each time they have a problem with behavior, they flip their card to yellow, and so on. If the entire class stays on green for the whole day, they earn an end-of-day treat (gummy bear, skittle, smelly sticker, ticket for the treasure chest, etc.)

5. Treasure Chest. I reward good behavior with tickets to the treasure chest. Students turn in their tickets and on Friday I pick 2-3 tickets. Those lucky students pick something from the treasure chest.

That's all that comes to mind right now. You will love 2nd grade. I've only taught 1st and 2nd grade, but 2nd is my favorite! Let me know if you need anything else.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 2, 2010

I'm jealous! I want to ask my P to move me down to K-2 for a while now, but I keep losing my nerve :) Whenever I go to the office to ask her she's either away from her desk or in a meeting. I'm only in my 2nd year teaching 5th but I miss the little ones!

Good luck in your new position!!

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

May 2, 2010

I moved from 5th to 2nd four years ago, and I'm so happy I did! LOVE the little ones! Some of their favorite things...
    smelly stickers
    bean bags/comfy furniture
    lamps all around the room
    plain white pizza boxes to store their writing
    bins or 2 gallon ziplocs for their books
    pencils, pencils, pencils