Going from 1st to 4th

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by firecallie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. firecallie

firecallie Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

Hello all, i'm new to the forum and seeking input. I was approached by my principal and asked if I would be willing to move to 4th grade. I have taught 1st grade for 3 years and am comfortable but the idea of teaching 4th grade reading (it's departmentalized) excites me. I just don't know what to expect. What are the potential benifits to the jump? What about the downfalls? What are things that you think I need to know and think about?

Thanks!

3. momtomm

momtomm Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

I taught fourth grade for 13 years. This is my second year teaching first grade. I love first grade. You don't have to deal with getting students ready for the state's test. My work load is much easier in the grading department. I taught reading to all of the fourth grade. It was 65 reading papers to grade, 65 writings to grade and so on. I could never keep up with the grading! My partners in first grade have never taught an upper grade and they could not believe the amount of pressure and stress that teaching a grade for a state test could amount to. I do a lot of work for first grade, but nothing in comparison to the amount of work I did in fourth grade. Last year when I moved down to first, it was like a weight had been lifted off of me!
    This is just my opinion. My partners do sometimes get mad when I say the upper elementary teachers have more stress than we do, they just don't understand. So if you don't mind all the work on the weekends, go for it. Fourth grade was great, but I really like first grade now.