Going for CDA, but....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Jan 23, 2011.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Jan 23, 2011

I am going for my CDA, but there are things about my center that aren't up to par. Since my room is used as the room where all the children gather in the morning (and my director's office) things aren't organized very well. All my furniture is pushed up against the wall and the children can literally run from one end to the room to the other which they do on a regular basis. How do I change things such as this to fit into the requirements of my CDA without causing too much criticism? Also, this is just one example of many....

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 24, 2011

You need to have a long talk with your director. When you are observed, you need the center to be DAP. If this is your room, can you go ahead and change your room? If not, can you suggest that you work with a teacher who wants to improve her space?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

Yes, I would also suggest the talk with the director. Let them know what you are doing and why you need to change things in the room/center/etc. If you continually mention DAP, the director may finally jump on board.

5. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jan 24, 2011

Who runs the morning program? Do you? What is the reason for having the furniture up against the wall? I would think it would be better to have centers available to the morning kids as well. Talk to the morning person and see if she's open to rearranging the room.

If you can't do that for whatever reason, you could set your room up so it is easy to convert each day. Ask the director if you can get shelves with rollers on the bottom - many will also have a breaking mechanism. If you can't buy new ones, you should be able to add rollers like these (http://www.lowes.com/pd_1513-80752-...asters&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=casters) to the existing ones. You just need someone who's a little handy. Maybe you could enlist the help of a few parents. Parents will often jump to help fix up their kids school. Not only because they want them to have a better school, but it makes them feel involved. You could make a day of it. Have parents paint, clean, do wood work, whatever you need that they can do.

Anyway, once you have the shelves and tables on wheels, figure out the placement you want, and mark the floor with tape. Then it should be a five minute deal in the morning for you to set up the room.

Hope that helps.