Going cheap for Christmas...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shouldbeasleep, Nov 3, 2008.

1. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2008

I've decided I don't have the money to buy gifts for my class this year. I already have enough water bottles that I ordered a long time ago set aside. I think I want to put a coupon book in each one.

So I need your ideas for things to put on the coupons. I'll make them on the computer, adding clip art.

So far:
    homework pass
    get out of trouble pass
    write in pen pass
    eat in the classroom with two friends pass
    listen to music (headphones) for one assignment pass

Any other ideas?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2008

I would probably skip the "get out of trouble pass" or make it more specific.

How about:
    -switch your seat with a classmate for a day

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2008

I teach seventh grade, and I have never bought gifts for my classes. I do the coupon thing and a pencil. The coupons I give are: 5pts extra credit on the assignment of student's choice, 5pts extra credit on a test or quiz, one day late pass, eat a healthy snack (which they provide) in class. These are always a hit!

5. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Nov 4, 2008

Contact local restaurants to see if they have any coupons or "freebies" for you. Many restaurants from fast food to pizza to a "sit-down" style will have some available for your use.

6. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Nov 4, 2008

I would not give a "get out of trouble" pass.

How about "Cut to the FRONT of the line" pass? My kids would love one like that.

I teach 1st grade. I do not buy Christmas gifts for my students. The only gift I give each is one of the FREE books from the Scholastic Book Clubs. This year, the book club didn't even give teachers the free book sets, but thankfully, I have lots left over from previous years.

7. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

You're so nice! I love the idea of a coupon book. I did not get my kids anything last year - maybe just a pencil. They got enough stuff at the "winter party."

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2008

I agree w/ not giving the Get Out of Trouble pass.

- Helper for the Day (helping w/ everything!)
    - Show & Tell (having them bring a toy or a favorite photograph)
    - Extra ___ Points on a Test!
    - First to be Dismissed at the End of the Day pass

9. shouldbeasleep

Nov 4, 2008

OK! Lots of good ideas. I'll nix the "get out of trouble" pass. (I guess I was thinking that they don't get into much trouble here, but I can see that it would backfire on me.)

Keep them coming! Maybe I can make a sheet up and then offer it here.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2008

I like this idea, but check with your school....doing so here is considered a form of solitiation, so we are not allowed to hand out/pass out gift cards from resturants, companies etc..

I only thought of this b/c a parent wanted to give out gift cards a few weeks ago, but we were told no!

11. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

Crafts! Oriental Trading has cheap little craft sets and it could be a nice quiet project for them one afternoon. Photo Frames or Bookmarks in cute snowflake themes... or even non wintery things... like under the sea or luau crafts

12. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Nov 4, 2008

Interesting... on the solicitation component. Makes sense on one hand and yet seems ridiculous on the next.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2008

How about "be the teacher for ten minutes" coupon? Custom made book marks?

I like your list. Good ideas.

You might also check out $ Tree. Great ideas and cheap offerings there.

14. shouldbeasleep

Nov 5, 2008

I'm not spending a dime (except printer ink and paper). The coupons are done. I made six of them.

Homework pass (I never allow these, so this will be a surprise for them)

Agenda pass (Students have to have a parent sig. in their agendas Monday through Thursday so this will give them a break)

Sit where you want to for one hour pass (I didn't want to say "on the couch" in case anyone else wanted the coupons and didn't have a couch)

Write in pen pass (Not allowed unless revising, so this will be for any subject)

Eat in the classroom pass (Must turn it in with some friends, and I usually eat in my classroom with my friends, so this one won't hurt.)

You think of it pass (I'll let them come up with something, discuss it with me, and either OK it or not)

So, thank you for the suggestions!

I'm also going to include some of the free kid meals that the principal has--he gets tons of them to pass out whenever he wants to. Then the water bottle from Positive Promotions that I already had. I've got tons of books that a parent donated to me also. She got them from Goodwill, and she's got great taste. So that takes care of the students!

15. shouldbeasleep

Nov 5, 2008

All the teachers on my team agreed to make something homemade to give to each other this year. Last year we drew names and got a gift, but this year we decided to save money.

For the student teacher, I'm working on downloading little things for a classroom...like bookmarks, posters, all the classroom cheers from Dr. Jean and some more that I made up, and some recipe cards that I'll have the kids write on.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2008

- Sticker of the Week Club! Give a sticker every day for a week!

- Art is a subject that's often put aside & there's never time for. Do a fun art project. When I student taught once & was being observed, I had the kids make mosaics. (That was a 3rd gr class).

Another art project suggestion: Create their own comic strip.

- Christmas Surprise! Buy a whole bunch of random, cheap, gender neutral stuff from the $1 store & wrap it up. Then, put them all in a box. Have the kids pick out of the box w/o looking!

- Starting Dec. 1st, give the kids chances to earm "money" to buy various items from the "store". Have things of varying prices. On the last day of school before they leave for Christmas vacation, they buy as much as they can w/ what they've earned all month.

17. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Dec 21, 2009

I could've written this post. Exactly the same for me!

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

Great list, nothing to add.

I have asked for donations from Wendy's and McDonalds. They're extremely generous, I've received CD's little books, and all kind of great stuff.

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2009

I remember earning "climb out the window" coupons as a 6th grader (still in elementary school back then). Our classroom was in the basement, and the window opened, with no screen, onto a grassy hill. We could earn coupons that enabled us to climb out the window and do our work on the hill for one subject. We LOVED it, which is obvious based on how clearly I remember this 30 years later!

Kim