going back too soon?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Touchthefuture, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I agree with DHE, if you feel you need to go in to start organizing then do it! The most important thing is for your room to be ready for your kids and for YOU to be ready for them as well. If going in early is going to help you accomplish that then...let them think what they want! People so often forget why we do everything we do...the kids :wub:

2. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I've been in my classroom several times over the summer.
    I'm going to start for real next week - we go back Aug. 16

3. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

You're probably going to make the older teachers angry. They keep saying us younger teachers are giving away our rights, and why our contract keeps getting worse and worse.

4. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I'm not surprised you feel that way, since unions don't really exist in Florida. You would probably feel differently if you taught here in NYC, since we have the strongest teacher's union in the country and don't want to give that up. This is just one of those reasons why it's becoming weaker and weaker.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

This all seems so strange to me. We've had teachers who have been in their classrooms at least once a week all summer. No rule that says they have to be. Then again, we get exactly 1/2 day paid prep time in our classrooms. So everyone pretty much understands that they will need to do some work over the summer and no one questions it. Of course, there are some who don't come in during the summer, and as long as they are ready to go on the first day, no one questions that. Some of us need the extra prep time, and take it.

6. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Indiana is a union state, but I have never felt threaten to not go in before school starts. There are lots of teachers who go in before school starts. We only get one day to prepare our classrooms and that day is usually spent in meetings so not much gets done. Several other teachers decide not to go in until the first day, and no one thinks twice. Principals (at least mine) in our district don't require teachers to come in during the summer time.

7. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

To my knowledge unions do exist in Florida.

8. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Barely...they're some of the weakest in the country. My mom has worked in different districts in Florida. They call them unions, but they're more like "associations"

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I don't get this "union stuff". Are you trying to say that if teachers didn't go in during the summer than the union would be able to get paid prep days for the teachers to go in instead? Which is the union pushing for to make this happen: more work days in a year for teachers or less learning days in the school year for students?

Personally I would hate to give up even more summer days to go in a do prep work and I would also hate to give up even more learning time for students as its hard enough to get it all done as is. I like being able to go in on my own schedule in the summer. I like not having to pay for a babysitter becuase we have an insane number of days before school starts (once school is in my son is also in school). I like being able to go in when my son is in activities or at playdates or staying overnight at grandma and grandpas.

Of course, it is also easy for me to say this as I live in a country where teachers are faily compensated for the work that they do (I make 86k with a Bachelors degree and maxed on experience) so putting in a few extra hours over the summer is not as life altering as it is being made out to be here.

10. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Our school year keeps getting extended because the higher-ups are noticing teachers are going in very early here. We go in for pointless PD. We start earlier than the suburbs do.

11. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

And you know its the pointless PD that would keep increasing. Quite some years ago we changed our whole schedule to allow us to have one Friday a month as a teacher work day. We added minutes to every day for the rest of the month to create this day. We then used it for staff meetings in the morning and teacher prep time in the afternoons. Some years later, the teacher prep time was taken away and professional development sessions were put in place. So now we have extra long days and extra professional development and less time to prep for more minutes of instruction.

I think its one of those be careful what you wish for kinds of things.

Monica (Self Contained k-12 Multiple Complex Needs Classroom Teacher)
    My Teaching Blog: Living and Learning

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

LOL! I have mini zucchini bread loaves in the oven for the custodians as we speak because I have to go in for a meeting today.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

I'm very fortunate to work in a district that VALUES excellent professional development. I take these opportunities as a chance to stretch myself, to learn something new, to take away ideas to use in my classroom, to reflect upon my practices and 'rub' new ideas with my philosophies.

I've also never felt PRESSURED by administration to go work in my classroom during the summer. My administration values the professional educators in my district and knows we will be ready for the kids when school starts.

Sometimes I think it's about attitude...if you don't value your professional growth and view that time as 'pointless', it will be. If you allow yourself to be pressured and stressed, it will affect your performance. Find some passion for our profession. Embrace opportunities for professional growth. Create academic and classroom climates which facilitate student success.

14. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

I like going in early a little bit here and there because I can close the door, blast my music, and not be interrupted. It's a very productive time for me. We have a slightly higher turnover rate than some places, so there are always new teachers asking questions and needing help when everyone is back.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

My federation is very strong and fights tooth-and-nail whenever contract negotiations are occurring (every 4 years right now). We have one mandated day before school starts and most of this is taken up with health and safety-related issues which, while not very exciting, are essential. We also will spend some time talking about our under-achieving students and strategies to assist them. Time spent preparing our classroom is our own--as much or as little as we wish to put in (once we have access to our rooms after summer cleaning). My principal expects to see me on September 2nd--not before. If she sees me in, I'll get a hug and a "welcome back", if she doesn't, she won't be wondering where I am. Some teachers will put hours and hours into classroom prep, some only a few, but our administration knows that, come 7:50am on September 7th, we will all be ready to meet our new students.

16. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

Oh I love learning and growing. Its just unfortunate that all professional development that is done in groups is generally done for the mainstream types of students. My students need me to be learning things that are relevant to their specific ways of learning and with the population that I work with that is seldomly the boxed type of professional development that occurs in groups.

I am fortunate in that my district recognizes this and at times will let me work on my own rather than attend these sessions that are completely irrelevant to my classroom.

-----------------------------
    Monica (Self Contained k-12 Multiple Complex Needs Classroom Teacher)
    My Teaching Blog: Living and Learning

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 21, 2010

I started going in this week. I went in Mon and Tues, and I will go back Friday. There are only two other teachers on campus this week. I am going in because I like to do it at my pace. If I want to only work for 2 hours, I have the freedom to do that.

Like someone else, I think MrsC, I only get one official day back and part of it will be meetings. This will be our first year that we don't have two days, the other one is now a furlough day. :( What used to be 2/3 of the first day and half of the second day of meetings will be squeezed into one. The P said she would keep it as short as possible so we could go straight to our rooms, but its still going to be less than what we're used to.

18. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Good, that's the way it should be :thumb:. Canada is more unionized than many states in the US are.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Union or not, it's best to know what your contract requires and to conduct yourself in a professional manner.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

It was! I went to the door and banged on it to get them to let me in, and I was bearing Iced Capps... they told me that my P was supposed to have sent me an e-mail that we weren't allowed into the building until August 30th (district wide), but that since I had Iced Capps, I was allowed in.

They even helped me find a book I was looking for (something I didn't expect, or ask for!) I love my custodians. They've been working their butts off over the summer, and were more than happy to get a break to talk to someone else :lol:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

What are iced capps?

22. monsieurteacher

Jul 21, 2010

Iced Cappuccinos from Tim Hortons (Think Dunkin' Donuts Canadian style)

23. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

From Tim Hortons (coffee/donut place) - an iced cappuccino - made with coffee, ice and cream - kind of like a coffee slurpie I guess :).

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Wow...with the heat we are having, they wouldn't be iced by the time I got them to my school!! I'm sure they were much appreciated!!:p

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Hmmm, maybe I'll drop off some iced capps to our incredible caretakers tomorrow (even though I'm not going to try to get in).

Further to my post above. I don't men it to sound as though no one goes in to set up their classroom if they aren't mandated to or if they aren't paid for it (we aren't), only that we are expected, as professionals, to do what we need to without concerning ourselves about the time involved.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Professionals is the key word here. :)

27. monsieurteacher

Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, it's quite hot around here... I'm just glad I live near the coast... inland it's so much worse! They were definitely appreciated... I highly recommend it!

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

I'm headed to Mass and RI on a vaca in a few weeks, I'll stop by a Tim Hortons and check out the capps! (although I do prefer Dunkin Donuts donuts!)

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I'd settle for either down here! There's nowhere to get a good coffee or bagel or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.