going back too soon?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Touchthefuture, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Ok so I have to ask even though I think I know the answer. I do not go back to scholl until August 11th. I was thinking of going into my room next week to get a file cabinet cleaned out and to just move the furniture back as everything was moved for cleaning. Do you think it is too early? How soon before you will be in your room?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I usually go at the beginning of August, but the past few years we didn't start until around the 23rd-25th. This year we start the 17th.

4. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I moved rooms this year, and everything was more or less thrown in boxes. I've been in and out of my room since school got out unpacking and taking inventory. We're not back til after Labor Day and I'm sure I'll go in off and on to get stuff done a bit at a time (then it's not so overwhelming).

In short: I don't think there's such thing as "too early".

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

I start at the end of August and generally go in the first couple of weeks of August off and on to get some things done. I then don't go in at all (or do any school related work for the most part) for the next couple of weeks. I tend to have a hard time stopping at the end of the year so start planning right away and get a lot of that done at that point. I like taking the time right before starting completely off.

6. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I will probably start going in at the end of next week sometime. I want to get as much organized as I possibly can before school starts. Teachers start back to school on 13th of August with the kids coming the following Monday. I do not want to be in my classroom getting ready the weekend before school starts.

I have also been getting things ready at home all summer. We have a new math series, so I have been using the online resources to get flipcharts ready to go for the lessons. I have also worked on other content flipcharts so I have most of my units planned out.

So I guess in a nutshell, I don't think you are going in too early!

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

I already asked the secretary what she would take as a bribe in exchange for me getting into my room early :) I'll probably head in a week ahead of time to see how much man power I'm going to need shoving things around.

As a side note, I had to bring ALL personal items home with me this summer. I've been working on organizing files and curriculum for the last week. In short: Nope, not too early!

8. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Other than workshops, I have been going into work twice a week two weeks after school let out. I am changing grade levels, so I wanted to reorganize my files, learn the new curriculum, and figure out what I will need (taking inventory of things given from previous teacher). Unfortunately my room won't be done for another two weeks, but I am knowkcing things off my ever growing list of things to do before the first day of school, which isn't until after Labor Day. It is never to early to go in, it's great to be prepared! :D

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

I won't be in until the week before school starts. The caretakers are always "crazy busy" during the summer, and I don't want to disrupt their cleaning and waxing of the halls (which are the last things done). If the heat and humidity keep up, they are going to be hard-pressed to get the floors done as the wax doesn't dry properly between coats. I always bring lots of things home with me to keep me busy!

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I go back on the same day and I started in my room off and on since July 1st.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

We (teachers) go back August 13th. Students come on the 24th. I've already set up my room and started reorganizing. The carpets were probably still wet and the wax was probably still drying when I first went back to my room. I have done a lot of curriculum work at home. My team starts meeting weekly this week. It's not too early!

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 17, 2010

Wow, don't I feel silly...I have been going in my room a few days a week since the end of June. :whistle: They finished cleaning my classroom the Friday after school got out (we were the first school and I was the 3rd classroom). Also, I'm teaching summer school in a different district, so every time I stop by to drop off and pick up new supplies I just stay for a few hours.

Teachers officially go back August 30th, and school starts September 1st.

My room will probably be done by the end of July.

13. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

I wish we could go in to our rooms in July as I would like to spread it out over the summer but we are not allowed in our school for the month of July (we finish at the end of June and start the last week of August).

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

We aren't allowed back in our rooms until one week before school starts and this year school doesn't start here until Sept. 7. I wish we could get in during the July and August. It would help a lot.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

I've already been out.

16. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

Didn't realize there were rules about going in "too soon"...? lol There is never "too soon" in my vocabulary! I've already gone in my room! Teachers are to report the 13th but with all the meetings and such, I want to make sure I am 85% ready just in case our P says "time in your classroom today" and then something comes up which happens ALL the time...

17. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I just moved to a new county and I've been going about 3 times a week to my new classroom to get my things moved in and unpack. We report back to work August 9th and school starts August 23. I have also been reading up on my new curriculum and studying all the teachers editions at home and revamping my lesson plan format. I hate leaving everything for the week before school starts because with all the meetings and the trainings I get stressed if my room isn't ready!! I like to take the weekend before the first day of school to relax and pamper myself not worry about finishing up the room!

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 17, 2010

Personally, I think it's too early but it could be my frame of mind. Last year I couldn't wait to get in, this year I'd be happy being off until Dec :)

19. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

My co-workers seem to think it's too early, but I stopped out at school the other day. Brought home all my classroom library books to level for AR and go through. While I was there I asked my P when I can come out and start working and she said Tuesday! I was excited!!! We go back Aug. 10 and the kids the 18th, but I'm almost moving houses at the end of July, and want to have things settled there before we go back to school, so I'd love to get my room mostly done this week if I can...

20. SATX4

SATX4 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I have been in and out since I was hired mid-June. I actually finished decorating my room and bulletin boards last week. They haven't finished painting the ceiling or waxing the floors, yet, but I couldn't wait any more. I have too many things to do and I absolutely do not want to do it during inservice week. I want to keep inservice week strictly for lesson plans and organization purposes. The school totally understood ;)

21. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

Gosh, I've already gone in too! I desperately needed to reorganize a closet full of stuff that I inherited from the teacher I replaced two years ago! Now I know what I have in there! I'm going in today to start on some filing cabinets that I also inherited. I just didn't want to throw anything away too soon when I took over and wanted to be sure what I needed, etc. Now I'm ready to clean out!

22. repete8

repete8 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

we (my K team) had planned to go wednesday, but they are waxing the hallways so we can't get in....we will probably go next week to sort out our belongings since the janitorial staff moved EVERYTHING in the hallway to wax our classrooms...and LOTS of stuff is in the wrong room....

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

Everything is moved out of all of our classrooms so that they can be properly and thoroughly waxed. They guys are great about getting everything back where it belongs, but we usually label things with our room numbers just to make it easier.

24. repete8

repete8 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

We would have labeled it had we known that they would do this. They had not done this previously.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2010

We got out the first week of June and teachers go back Aug. 2 (students start Aug. 17). I've been going in a few days a week since the end of June. My mom visited me for a week, and she helped me sort through all the stuff that I inherited when I moved into the classroom last summer. I'm really focusing on being more organized next year, so I realize that investing the time now will pay off for me later...

26. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Yay! I' ve been going in pretty much all summer and feeling like a big dork for not giving myself a break. :) I moved to a new school AND a new grade so I've wanted to get cleaned up and organized for the new year. Now that my room makes me happy, I've moved on to curriculum and planning.

This topic reminds me that I'm not the only one back in my class. {Happy Dance}

27. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

Not too early!

I'll start going in a bit this week to start unpacking all of my boxes (I moved classrooms). We start Sept. 1st, but I want as much done as possible soon since I'm pregnant :)

28. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 19, 2010

School starts back Aug 4th.. and I will not be able to get into my classroom until July 26th!! I'm a first year teacher as well. SO I'm just taking everything in stride.

29. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I know all the waxing/cleaning is finished because our school hosted a technology workshop last week and it needed to be in tip-top shape. I went in the Monday before the workshop to make sure my room didn't look awful, and I plan to go back this week to really begin organizing myself for the new year. We go back Aug 4 and the kids come in on the 9th. Summer is almost over for me :-(

30. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I went back into my room today and finished organizing all my cabinets and labeling all my supply baskets. I think I'll be done moving in boxes and unpacking in one more trip!!! I'll be going back the rest of this week to decorate. I'll have to wait on some of the things because we can't laminate until it's time to report back :(

31. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I've been in my class for short periods (1 hr) probably a dozen times this summer. I tutor/ help with summer programming and sometimes there are gaps in my schedule. I run into my school and get a few things done.
    My room is the only one with carpet so I don't have to worry about waxed floors.

32. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I went in today while my husband was in class for about an hour and half. I was able to rearrange my students' desks and arrange the bookcases where I wanted them for my library. I am going in tomorrow for a longer time while my husband is at work to work more on my classroom library. I wish I could have stayed longer as now I am ready to work!! Oh well, tomorrow will have to do!

33. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 20, 2010

Teachers have to be back on the 11th as well. I've been back in for several days already. When they tell us our rooms are ready, we begin. It helps cut down the stress when we're in all of our meetings. I'm teaching summer school this year, so I'm already in my room with students. I had it ready in 4 days (2 days before a trip, and 2 days after). I feel so relieved that all the big stuff is done. Now I'm just working on little stuff that I know needs to be done.

34. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

I don't know why so many people go so early before the school year begins. This is why teachers get abused in other areas of the countries where many of you don't have strong unions. Administrators think they can pressure you to do many things. I know some of you voluntarily go in and don't mind it, but it's a shame our Principals have so much power nowadays.

35. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

We have a very strong union. No one has forced me to go in. There have been other years when I didn't go in at all during the summer (last year, we weren't even allowed to).
    I think going in during the summer speaks more to the dedication of teachers than to a lack of union representation.

36. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

Hmmmmm... I've never went in because I feel some sort of pressure from my administrator to do so. I go in to ensure that I'm organized enough that I can maintain a balance in my life during the school year.

37. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

Last year was my first year and my Mom and I went in one day in early August to set things up. While we were allowed to keep decor on the walls over the summer, I wanted to change things around so I took nearly everything down.

I've been working this summer on getting some supplies ready and laminated. I think my Mom and I are going in this weekend to set things up and I plan on cleaning out a closet from the previous teacher. Last year I didn't know if I would need anything from it but I'm excited this year to go through it and purge a few things.

On a related note... I like to have someone helping me set up. I get very distracted doing things like that and will take an hour to clean out one drawer. I guess I just get side-tracked. Having a friend or family member help me just makes me work better. Only one teacher has made a comment about it but everyone else has been very supportive.

38. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I knew you had to be from NYC. I am nervous to go in early because of this reason. I do not want the other teachers to think that I just roll over for administration, but I like to have my things in order.

39. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

Then you go in. I really don't care if people think it was for the admin, when I know that what I am doing is trying to make sure that I have everything together. A week is not enough time for me. As a matter of fact, I don't understand how those who don't go in early can do it.

40. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I'm thinking of going in today. I have discovered/purchased (though mostly discovered) five more boxes of school stuff that I want to get out of my house... I also have been trying to start thinking about content for next year, but there are a few resources that I know are in my classroom that I forgot to take home at the end of the year.

I plan to take something in to the custodians while I'm there.

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

Always a good move!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.