Going back to public?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Apr 14, 2015.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 14, 2015

I left my public school job last year and moved to private. Nothing against my school or any one there, just was best for me at the time due to some personal issues. (less stress for me at the time).

Well, my old school has contacted me about being the testing coordinator for next school year. The job is mine if I want it.

I am going next week to shadow the current testing coordinator to get a better feel for the job.
    Any one have any insight? I've heard it's stressful in its own right. I've been thinking about going back to public so this might be my 'shoe' back in the door.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 14, 2015

No sage advice, but best of luck deciding! A test coordinator position will definitely be stressful during testing times.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2015

Amen to that.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 14, 2015

One of the hats I wear as VP is Site Testing Coordinator. I enjoy the role (actually, I love it since I'm an extremely detail oriented person), however it gets stressful since I'm also in charge of discipline, supervision, parent issues, etc.

About a decade ago, each site had a test coordinator. They were the first to go, though, during budget cuts. I highly doubt that position will ever exist in my district since they've gotten used to the VPs handling it.

If you're extremely well-organized and pay close attention to detail, this will be the role for you!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2015

I agree with YTG. Testing coordinator can be a fun job for the right person.

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 15, 2015

I went from 8 years in public, to private for six years, and recently back to public again this year.

I don't regret the decision, but I do miss some things about my former school, such as its more family-like atmosphere.

I do not miss the 60% lower pay and 75 mile commute.

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 16, 2015

Thanks everyone.

I'm an organized person and detail oriented. I know it'll be stressful at times.

Any organizing tips from those who have done the job? Obviously labels will be my best friend.
    Been looking on TPT and Pinterest, but there isn't a whole lot out there for Testing Coordinators.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 16, 2015

I save everything electronically. If I create it myself, I'll save it as a word/excel document or if it's something that I didn't create, I'll scan it and save as PDF. I am not a fan of binders, files, folders, etc.

I make everything as easy as possible for my teachers. I often create handbooks and bind them so they are user-friendly. Additionally, if the handbook is lengthy, I'll create a one page cheat sheet that they can refer to. Bottom line is that it's my job to help them be successful with test administration.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 16, 2015

I'm with you in that I'm not a fan of files. I save every thing on my thumb drive (with a 2nd back up, as I've had them crash on me!)

Honestly, I'm excited about the position. I DO want to make everything as seamless as possible because, having been on the other end, I know all that's on their plates. It's important to me that I wouldn't add any other stress to their plate.

I was looking online at a binder accommodation booklet. I know no one at the school has done any thing like this, and I think it'd be handy come testing time.
    http://thenewprincipalprinciples.blogspot.com/2014/01/accommodations-for-students-with.html

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 17, 2015

Something else that popped in my head: TRAINING! I hope you're comfortable training the trainers. A few times each year, I provide test training for teachers (depending on the type of tests we're taking). However, I love sitting back and seeing how smoothly things are going because I gave them (teachers) the tools for success!

12. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

Good one. i've missed conducting teacher trainings. I used to do that before I moved to private. I did MTSS graphing trainings, and have tried to implement trainings at my private school without success. I have missed them.

My goal is to try to attend trainings over the summer to learn as much as I can.

Do you, or anyone else here, happen to have photos of how you organize your bins?
    thankfully, the lady I am taking over for is SUPER organized but I think there are some things I'd like to redo.

Also, how do you organize the all the students paperwork for accommodations? they are currently all in binders but I'm open to other suggestions.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

By bins, do you mean my testing tubs (the ones teachers pick up from my office when it's time for testing)? If that's what you're talking about, I have a bin for each teacher that includes all testing materials (teacher's manual, bubble sheets, and student test booklets) for whichever exam we're taking. Everything is pre-labeled and ready to go. Additionally, I include pencils for every student.

As far as accommodations are concerned--the RSP teacher is responsible for providing each teacher with a copy of his/her students' IEPs. However, since we are taking the CAASPP (California's version of PARCC), most students on an IEP need accommodations for the online portion of the test (test questions read aloud, large font, etc). I am responsible for entering those in the system (clicking the correct accommodations box for each student). I know which accommodations they're eligible for by checking their IEPs in SEIS (Special Education Information System). I never print the actual IEPs, though--because I hate binders, files, folders, etc. All my files are electronic. Even if someone gives me a hard copy of something, I scan it immediately.

14. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 22, 2015

that's how the bins are done where I'm going. I mean in terms of storage. The room I'm in lacks shelving to place them when testing isn't going on. I'll have to figure that portion out.

Yes I do not particularly care for all the binders of information. Electronic sounds way better to me as well.
    The testing coordinator on site for us is responsible for a lot on the accommodation end.

I wish I could go in to this just knowing it all! I want every thing to be as efficient and streamlined as possible, while creating little to no work for the teachers. As I know how that can go, I want the stress to be OFF of them, but also don't wan to make things complicated for myself.
    Just going to take some time I suppose.