Going back to a red head

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wldywall, Aug 7, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2014

Okay, I am a brunette now, only because my red hair as a child slowly over time turned to a dirty dishwater brown. As that is such a horrid color, I have been dying it for years.

Now, However, dying it at home no longer works because I have suddenly developed grey side burns :lol:, and at home dyes wash out too quick on the grey.

Sooo, I was wondering, is what I have heard true, that red covers grey really well?

I hate all this grey hair, it all changed in a week when my nephew died a few years ago, its sad to look at.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 7, 2014

I'm not sure if red covers better as that's all I have ever been.

I get my hair colored at my stylist's three or four times a year but do touch-ups at home. She tells me what to buy. She's great! I mix several colors to match her coloring. Get a cheap paintbrush to help apply the color.

But I don't use but just a little auburn in the mixture.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

Red dye usually fades quickly. I don't know how it covers grey, but I know it fades within a couple of weeks, even if you wash it in cold water.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2014

:(:(:(

Well shucks, I'd thought would work. I miss being red, at least I know now

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 7, 2014

I have white hair and dye it red at home. I stick with a dark shade (4R) so any fade is still a nice bright color. The trick is to find a really good touch-up color. I prefer Root Rescue by Loreal because it really gets to the roots quickly (you'll probably want to let it sit for at least 15 minutes).

7. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I went red last year (naturally a blonde) and the upkeep was a PITA. It would look really great for a week or so, and then would start to fade. Not sure how it does with grays, but in general, it fades quickly.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2014

Mom was a beautician and a red head. There is an art to getting a natural looking red, and it isn't easy to do. Secondly, gray hair is hard to take color, which means you really should get to a professional before you create a mess. I am older than you with some grey, and I always go to the best colorist I can find. It is worth every penny. Generally, there is an overall color to cover just the grey, and then, more natural appearing high lights and low lights added in another procedure that really makes the color "real" since no color is a flat one dimensional color. By creating the varied palette, you can minimize upkeep by being able to do partial highlights on top of root touch ups, minimizing cost and drastic changes as the ends of the hair take on more and more of the dye, really changing the look. You can go red, and really look like red from a bottle, or you can spend a little more time and money and look like you were born with that color. I would choose option 2 every time. It is the way I color my hair, and it affords me the opportunity to have the look I want consistently with less fuss and muss. The closer you stay to your natural hair color for the first process, the longer you can go between upkeep on the second process, since the roots will be far less noticeable. Remember to care for your color with excellent shampoo and conditioner for colored hair - it does make a difference. Also, a good haircut that keeps the ends from hanging around soaking up more color will enhance the total picture. Best of luck!

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2014

I agree with Lynette. If you want to do red well, it needs to be professionally done. It's worth it! I go to a Paul Mitchell salon in my area, and those stylists are like magicians! I'm a natural strawberry blonde, but I color a richer red and love it. My grays sometimes end up looking blondish when I color--natural highlights! Lol!

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2014

I have been dying my hair an auburn red this summer and I LOVE IT! I have a lot of gray hair and this color is beautiful. As my gray grows in, it blends much better than with my original dark brown hair. The upkeep is simple. I just use an auburn roots touch up kit. When I'm in the sun, I have a pink purple red thing going on! The dimensions look beautiful as well as young and funky! (I'm not young but this look works!)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2014

Red fades and coloring grey/white is such a chore. I ended up looking kind of like a skunk and that's when I gave up. I rock my grey/white natural shade and get compliments all the time. It sure is easier, too.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 8, 2014

My mom wants to go grey, but she still has a lot of natural red. The two together do not look good. What did you do during the transition time?

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 8, 2014

I don't have the red fade y'all are talking about. I do mix come brown in my color so maybe that's the difference.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2014

The transition part was what I was scared of, too. So, I went to the salon, had all the old dye taken out, then went blonde. I chose to go blonde so the roots growing in wouldn't show much. After a while, I cut my hair shorter and just let the grey grow in. It didn't look bad in the interim.

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2014

I think that is what my kids are getting me for my birthday next week, so I will have them take all the old dye out. Blonde however won't work for me, I am already so pale, I would look like I was sick and dying. :p

Red it is, even if I have to re-dye every other week.....at least until I am bored.

Thanks for the help guys, at least I know I am picking something VERY high maintenance, otherwise I would have ended up very upset.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 8, 2014

I'll show this to my mom. Maybe she'll go blonde.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2014

I had dark hair growing up, but two of my sisters were blondes, so I figured it would be ok. And it was. Good look to you, wldywall, and to your mom, teacherintexas.

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

Well, my daughter did it! She even selected the color. I am back to a red head.

Its a dark red, with a lot of brown in it. Something they called a red violet? Anyway, I love it!

New do for a new job in a new state!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Awesome, wldy! I would love to see pictures!