Going away party for student?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrs100, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Feb 20, 2008

I have a student whose last day in our school will be next Thursday. Any ideas about what to do for her? I was going to get a cake and eat it that afternoon, but what else do you do for a student who is leaving during the school year?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2008

I made specil bordered paper on PrintShop and sent a piece home with each student and the directions to write a note/picture for my student who was moving. I bound into a book and had snack (pretzels, cheese balls, etc) in the afternoon of his last day...

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 21, 2008

When a kid was moving out of dd's class, the teacher took a picture of each kid with a digital camera, printed the picture out and allowed the students to take them home. The decorated the pages with messages, pictures, etc. All the pictures were collected and made into a book that was presented to the student at the going away party.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 22, 2008

When I have a kid leave we do cupcakes or some sort of snack. I get a plain pillowcase and all the kids sign it for them. I'll also have them all write down their addresses or email for the one moving so they can stay in touch. If I have time I print out a picture of the class for them.

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 22, 2008

I've never done anything if the kid doesn't tell me themselves. I've lost 4 kids this year and only knew from the parent or child ahead of time that one of them was leaving. Her last day was a field trip, so it didn't really leave the day open to do anything special. Of the other 3......2 just didn't show up to school again and guidance told me they moved and the last one I found out a few days ahead from the office, but he never mentioned it to me so I figured he didn't want me to know so I didn't say anything either. His mom just showed up during our 100 day party to get him and his things. We all said bye and gave hugs when he told the class that he was leaving and not coming back.

7. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

I never know when a child is leaving so there is never time to plan anything. Plus I never believe it unless there is parent confirmation. Some kids say they are moving and if it's an annoying kid, I get my hopes up only to have the kid remain there for the rest of the year! I remember one time when I moved as a kid. The class planned a going away party for me when I was in the bathroom. I was so embarrassed! I didn't think anyone knew I was leaving!