Going 1:1 Next Year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms_C, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

So my school won a huge grant which gives us the ability to go 1:1 with students in the next school year. All students will be given Chromebooks to use. I want to be able to use technology with my students in the most effective way. What are some of the ways that y'all use technology with your students. I will be teaching 7th grade ELA again next year.

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 8, 2013

Interesting timing... we actually just got 200 Chromebooks in our building, to launch for next year. I'm not 100% sure of everything I will do yet, but for now, I've been thinking:

1. Online tests, quizzes, and assignments via Google Forms.

2. Interactive review games and activities from our curriculum company (Pearson-Prentice Hall)

3. Research and writing assignments using Google Docs

4. Student response system during discussions/lecture, where the students can all type in a response to a discussion question during the lesson

5. Online readings of primary sources and various other documents (I did this before too but this will simply save copies)

That's all I have planned for now, but perhaps more ideas will come in time. I really like the Chromebooks personally... they have limited features to prevent student abuse, but have the internet and productivity software needed to make them useful.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 8, 2013

We've been 1:1 for about 6 years. I love it.

I like Ron's list above.

I'd add using GoogleCalendar for yourself and students (you can make multiple calendars) to share.

I am hoping to use the free version of Canvas (a learning management system) this year for the first time.

As a side note, I've been asked to present to a group of teachers moving to Chromebooks. I have a FOUR hour window. What questions do you guys have? My topics to discuss so far: tools, pros, cons, what to expect, tricks to having a 1:1 classroom

5. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

Things that I would be interested in knowing more about would be how to keep students accountable for online use and managing a class with less paper.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 8, 2013

One thing I really want to start doing next year is having my students collaborate on a wiki that I can keep going for years. Giving students specific research to compile and contribute then present to the class. The website I've been experimenting with is wikispaces. You can create the student accounts so they don't have to have an email address and whatnot.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

My district is going 1:1 with iPads for 4th, 6th, and 8th grades next year (plus all of high school, I believe). I think 2nd grade is going to be the following school year. :)

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2013

My school will be going 1:1 and I'm piloting the program. This year we have done online testing, a lot of the programs that the district purchased, a free program called My Big Campus (its comparable to Edmodo), Socrative, and utilized our online textbook.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

They are talking about going 1:1 in our 8th grade classes - possibly as early as next year. If they pop this on us, I'm nervous that I won't know enough to use them. Your thoughts? I've already had a heated discussion with a peer who thought it was a waste for me to have them in my class so the kids could write essays. I was told all I was going to use them for is as a word processor. Now that all our state exams are online, we (English department) feel our kids are at a disadvantage because we don't have enough computers for them to use on a regular basis to plan, draft, and write a final essay as is required for the state exam. I figure that in addition to crafting essays, I can have them access all the great programs that are available through Quia, along with other programs/web sites that are out there.