Gofundme sites

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

Is anyone else really bothered by these? I don't just get angry, I get infuriated by the gall these people have. I've had friends ask me to donate money to them to go to Ecuador to learn medical Spanish, go to Madagascar for some organization, and go to Kenya. I mean seriously, I'm not going to pay for your vacation! Plus, I think the people of the rural towns of Kenya or Madagascar would benefit more from you just giving them $3000 than you going there for a 5 days to help build a shelter. I mean, I love the idea behind these trips, but in the end they really are a vacation. If you want to go on vacation, YOU pay for it.

And most recently, my friend is now asking for money ($8000 to be exact) to buy a car. Eight thousand dollars!?! I replied by saying she could get a very usable car for $1500, and a fairly nice car for $2-3000. She wrote back all indignant saying she didn't want a "crappy old car". Really? Beggars can't be choosers, sweetheart. I've never in my life owned a car worth more than $2000.

I constantly get emails asking to donate and facebook posts. It's so frustrating. I never, ever mind donating to charity, but not to people who have comfy lives but want *more*.

Am I the only one??:dizzy::dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

I don't get those emails. At school there is occasionally someone running or swimming for a charity, girl scout cookies, that kind of stuff. I pick and choose, but I don't get upset by any of it...but then again, no one has ever asked me to help them buy a car for themselves...that is ballsy.:2cents:

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

I've never seen these, I don't think.

5. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

Fortunately, I haven't gotten any requests like this. If I'm going to pay for a car or a vacation, it's going to be mine! I do remember reading a story about a college student who jumped off a roof into a pool, but missed the pool and broke both her ankles. Her mom put out a gofundme request to pay her medical bills. I don't know if it was funded.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

I don't mind those athletic events because the money goes straight towards a charity. And girl scout cookies I'll buy because they are delicious! :cool:

But just giving cash to someone? Who has a job, house, and cushy life?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Yeah, no.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

I don't understand why these people can't save up the money themselves? I served as a missionary back in college and I worked a part time job to pay for my flight and lodging, then my parents gave me about $500 for incidentals.

I have a friend from Haiti that lives in the US, but during the summers volunteers with an organization in Haiti while visiting her family.

She has never asked me for a dime, just for donations like school supplies (backpacks, pencils, paper), canned goods, clothing, minor medical and things like that which I don't mind.

One of my dad's childhood friends has a son who claims to be a medical missionary and he's always sending my parents stuff in the mail wanting money, first to serve go to a program to teach him to be a missionary, then to go on an actual mission.

Not sure if Mom or dad donated or not, but I didn't.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I'm "invited" to do this a lot as well. Usually for business ventures, though.

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

I would never donate to anything like a car fund, and I think it's tacky of the requester. I would consider donating to a mission trip. My church sponsors several missionaries on a regular basis.

11. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

I've seen them for business ventures, charity, etc. I gave a few bucks to a Kickstarter documentary that I really wanted to be made once. A car fund is just insulting. I don't like the idea of funding someone's missionary or other charity trip either (sorry), because I feel like if that's what they want to do, they should raise the money themselves. I'm starting to think about going on a Habitat for Humanity trip to an underdeveloped country myself, and I'll have to figure out how to raise the money to go. You're right, others could just donate the money directly to a cause, and I'm going because I want the experience as well wanting to help. I'm not broke and I have a good life. I don't need other people to pay for it.

My favorite fundraiser is Girl Scout cookies! Love Girl Scouts, love cookies. :D

12. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

Yeah, Kickstarter is a great site.

Gofundme is like the cheap version for individuals to fund random things that better themselves.

At least with Kickstarter, you get a decent reward (provided you donate a decent amount).

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

I think that it definitely matters what the money is going towards. One of my former students was in a terrible train accident in a foreign country and lost a leg. Her family set up one of these donation sites to cover her medical care. To me, that's totally reasonable, as would be any sort of school trip, volunteer opportunity, or a handful of other things. Asking for people to fund your car or your vacay to Bermuda seems to be in really poor taste.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

Honestly, I don't think this is really the same thing. I only get invites from college-aged or older people that I barely know wanting to go on various types of trips. When it's a kid who clearly isn't old enough to raise funds or work full time, and you're reaching out to your close friends and family, it's more of an organization tool. You just as easily could have asked for donations for Christmas or whatever. Maybe it's just because I have a soft spot for kids, but I just don't find this one annoying the same way I do for the other ones. Anyway, hope I didn't offend earlier! :)

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

How old is your son?

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2013

This is what I wonder as well. When I was in high school my theater group went on a trip to London. My single mom told me right off the bat she couldn't afford it so I got a job and saved every single cent so I could go.

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

Darn, I just bought a car on Saturday. It never occurred to me that I could ask everyone I know for money rather than having payments for the next 4 years! :lol: I can only imagine what my friends/family would have said to me. Starts with H and ends with no. :)