Goddard School interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Dec 10, 2013.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Dec 10, 2013

I have an interview at the Goddard School on Monday. It is a new one opening in my area that has just started hiring teachers. I am totally confused on how to feel about it.

This is my second year subbing. To be quite honest, I hate it most days. I absolutely of course love the kids, but hate the day-to-day, being a babysitter, not feeling like I'm making a difference, wanting my own classroom, etc. My biggest issue right now is the pay. I simply can't afford to sub anymore. No guarantee of hours, trying to keep track of all the different pay rates, retirement taxes taken out, etc. At this point, my bills are almost equal to what I'm making. And that's not including extras or emergencies. And I've tried the babysitting/tutoring route- right now I just haven't been able to find anything that I can do that fits with my subbing schedule- I've applied to everything I see.

I know I won't make much more than subbing at the GS. I don't plan on considering it unless they offer me $12/hour at least. I have my Bachelor's, teaching cert., and Master's (just got that). I know many people have posted before about the Goddard School, but I wondered if anyone has any recent experience with it. I've heard good and bad! If it seems at all close to a daycare I won't be giving it a second thought. But if I'm able to teach preschool or Kindergarten, I am really considering it at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

I know next to nothing about the Goddard School.

But it would be a full time job. You would have a predictable income. You would be with the same kids every day, so you would know you were making a difference to a particular group of kids. You could use your creativity and skills and education to teach them.

Even if it does seem "close to a daycare"--- does that have to be an awful thing? My kids learned so very much from our baby sitter during the early years.

Each particular school/center has its own culture of course. Always have your intuition turned on high at any interview, to get a real gut feel for the place.

But, honestly, in December, I would give this interview my all. It seems like it would satisfy many to all of the complaints you have with your current arrangement. And if you get something better for next school year, great. But at this point in the school year it seems to me like it would be a positive step forward.

4. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Dec 11, 2013

Thanks Aliceacc! I have read many things in old forums on me that weren't exactly positive towards the Goddard School, I'm glad you understand my position on giving it a shot! I change my mind everyday but there are good and bad sides to it. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

They say there's a cover for every pot. This may very well turn out to be your dream job, even if it's not someone else's. And, even if it's not somewhere you choose to work long term, it may very well be your "from now until you find a different full time teaching job" dream job.

You have nothing to lose by giving it your all and going to the interview with an open mind.

6. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Dec 12, 2013

Hello! I had worked at the Goddard School as a private pre-k teacher. I was a mid-year replacement. The teacher who was hired before me quit after three days in the classroom. I don't have any positives to say about my experience with GS, however I do think that there are good and poor GS's. All the schools are not created equal, it all depends on the director and the school owners. If you get a director and owner who are all about the money, not education, then it can be very challenging. If the school has a great director and owners who are into education then you might have a great experience. I just happened to work at a school with a really, really difficult class (one child had EDD) with no help, and with a director and owner who where morally corrupt (lied to parents, ect...). I think my situation was abnormal.

7. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Dec 13, 2013

I went to grad school with a kindergarten teacher who worked for Goddard. The only thing she didn't like was the pay. As isabunny said, I think it depends on the school and the owners. Go to the interview and see what you think. It may be a great fit for you.