Goals

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by krisaustin, Oct 10, 2007.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Oct 10, 2007

I teach first and second grade life skills. I have one student who is non verbal and a non reader. This student is working on pre academic skills. I am working on IEP goals for this coming year. I am trying to think of life skills goals that the student can work on.

Could you please share goals that you have for your students?

Also, I am thinking of basic safety signs that the student needs to know. I have thought of stop, walk, and Don't walk. Can anyone think of other signs that are basic and important to know?

Thanks

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2007

What state are you in? In TX, even Life Skills students have to have goals that correlate with the state testing objectives. Here is an example of what we do for our Life Skills students - and how we relate it to state objectives (which seems like it could be tough to do for a low-functioning non-reader!)

MATH2.1A The student is expected to use concrete models to represent, compare, and order whole numbers. Jonathan will create sets up to ten, using manipulatives and visuals, with maximum to minimum prompting.

The first part is the actual grade level objective. This is a second grade objective. Obviously, it's a little tough to get a non-reading non-verbal child to represent and compare whole numbers. But, you take the "essence" of that objective (second part) and turn it into a pre-requisite skill that could eventually lead to the mastering of that objective. Does that make sense? This could even mean putting ten blocks into a box. Or velcroing numbers to a number line by matching them. This is actually one of our higher functioning Life Skills kids (of the low-functioning class... if that makes sense...).

I would consider looking at your state objectives (even if it's not required) and creating goals out of that. Information from signs could possibly fall under a community/social studies goal and that might just be appropriate! I know that one of our objectives is understanding why rules are important in our community.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 10, 2007

Signs: boys/girls/men/women - in relation to the restroom, open, closed

5. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Oct 10, 2007

This student is working on beginning preschool skills. Learning shapes, colors, numbers, and 1:1 correspondance. I am trying to think of life skills goals that will help the student in life. As the student is a non-reader.

6. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Oct 11, 2007

More sight words--help, exit, hot, on, off, danger, warning. I've got an actual sight word list at school but my brain isn't cooperating this morning. I honestly can't think of them.... What about self-care goals? Feeding, cleaning up, dressing, bathroom skills. Social skills areas as well.

7. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

Cutting with scissors, tying shoes, buttoning shirts, zipping, coin identification, combing/brushing hair. I will give you more later once I think of them....