Goals, Goals, Goals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by justfine, Nov 7, 2008.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Do you have goals posted in your school? What are the goals for your grade and class? I am a first grade teachers and the teachers on my grades are having a hard time stating or coming up with the goals as a team. I am looking for some help in this area. Thanks!!!!

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Each class has a mission statement posted in the cafeteria.

"The students in Mrs. L's class will try their best to read, write and do math so that they are ready for second grade."

We also create class monthly goals. These are related to our mission statement. These are communicated to the principal and are hanging up on our class goal wall in the classroom. We either have a graph or a paper chain to measure the class goal throughout the month.

We usually have a math fact, sight word and behavior goal every month. I have a small graph with the math fact and sight word current monthly goal that we update as needed.

20/23 students will be able to pass their doubles facts fluently by the end of November.

-We have an ongoing math fact chart on the wall. As the students pass their math fact cards they fill in a box by their name.

21/23 students will be able to pass a level G sight word list by the end of November.
    -This is also an ongoing graph.

12/23 students will stay on green every day for the month of November.
    -We usually have a green paper chain. When a student moves their clip for the first time during the month, I rip off a paper. At the end of the month we count how many are left. If a student did not move their clip they get to rip off and keep the paper. (They are really excited about this for some reason. :))

My students always want to develop a behavior goal. I have to spoon feed them to choose a goal every month. I usually give them 2 choices for each goal area. I also have them help decide how many students we want to be able to meet the goal. This way they still have a say in the goals but we don't have to spend four hours explaining why we can't have 29 goals just on behavior.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

I have our standards posted next to our daily schedule, in 'I can' statements. I switch them out depending on our lesson. I guess those are our goals...

5. justfine

justfine Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Thanks

Thanks for all your help so far! Thanks a lot!!!!