Goals/Focuses for next year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, May 1, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Ok, I know we are all focusing on the end of this year, but have you put in any thought about next year? Here's my list so far:

*Be more effective in my Daily 3 (i.e. actually purchase the book and read how I am supposed to do it)

* Plan lessons that are more geared for boys (since I will have a ton of boys next year)

* Put together a plan with the other 1st grade teacher to rotate classes

That's it for now. Any of you already thinking about what you need to change or modify for next year?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

My professional development plan is to form a PLC with 3 other colleagues to work on units of study focusing on comprehension strategies.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

I need to take a couple classes in order to add History to my license. I don't want to leave the foreign language classroom but I think I need to be realistic about the possibility that my school might cut foreign language more than it already has, given the district's current financial situation.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

I'm definitely already thinking of ideas for next year! For one, I'm going to be in charge of the RtI process at my school next year so I'm thinking of ways to make it more understandable for gen. ed. teachers and more efficient (we need a more "clear" process than we have right now). I also want to organize my weekly progress monitoring a little better. We use aimsweb, and right now it takes me at least one full planning period per week to print and organnize all the probes I'll need for that Friday. Next year I'm thinking that I'm going to print all the probes at the beginning of the year and keep them organized in a cabinet or something, so I can at least just grab whichever ones I need. (Especially since when we have printer problems, which is frequently- I'm completely screwed!)
    I'm also going to reorganize my reading groups- right now they are split between age (I won't go more than one grade level apart even if they're on the same level academically, because I think that is socially/emotionally damaging) and reading level. Most of my kiddos have made a ton of progress in fluency this year, and there are only a few left that really still need this. Next year I want to have groups seperated into those who only need comprehension help (I have several students that can read every word and have absolutely no idea what they read), those who have basic decoding skills but need fluency to be a focus as well as comprehension, and those that need to build the basic decoding skills before they can move on to fluency or comprehension.
    I also want to put more of the tools that are sitting around my room to use next year- or at least try them out. There were a lot of resources left from the previous teacher; I'd like to try some new things next year instead of just things I know and am already comfortable with. I'm pretty excited for next year even though this year isn't even over yet!

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 1, 2011

Find a way to organize my files better.

Organize my guided reading notes better

So more lessons with short and long vowels- a lot more with phonics

Try to be a bit more affectionate with my students. I am not the hugging type of teacher and I think of my students need that.

Organize my games and manipulatives better.

So main focus for next year is organization.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

waterfall---we have two different methods for storing aimsweb passages. For the students we progress monitor, we create a folder at the beginning of the year. So easy! Copy all the passages with the numbers, hole punch, and stick in the folders with the prongs in the middle. You can also put the math passages in here as well. We usually have a different folder.

Then we make a binder with all the passages. They are in page protectors for the kids to read out of. So, easy!

I'm slowing starting to think about next year....maybe adding some PAT time, moving more towards reader's workshop (with a basal to drive instruction.....district mandate), turning writing prompts into RAFTS, and making all instruction more student centered...Still having really dived in, just set some goals.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

VAN---that's traditionally year two! The year of organization.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 1, 2011

I am actually very organized. I just want to organize a little more. It will be done by year 3.

What is year 3 known for I wonder??1 :)

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Bringing passion back into your teaching and really taking the time to get to know your kids. Year three is when most teachers find out why they love teaching again and administration can really tell if someone has progressed in teaching.

At least in my experience of working with teachers....

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 1, 2011

Not to take over the thread but that seems odd that year 3 is supposed to bring BACK the passion. Thats such a short time to lose it.

I hope I am progressing in my profession. Its hard to know what the outside sees in you.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Year two tends to be a little tough because teachers have done it for a year, put in a lot of work, and now what to bask in the been there done that mentality. They focus more on organization, classroom management and less on lesson planning as they have a stack from the year before.

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

May 1, 2011

I want to change my physics class to do more team based learning.

I still don't know what else I will be teaching, so I can't really think ahead yet.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 1, 2011

I want to use every minute of the day better.

15. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

May 2, 2011

Mopar is absolutely right. I am just finishing my 3rd year of teaching. I enjoyed my job and the kids much more this year.

My goals for next year are:
    -Finish planning and putting into practice the culturally relevant inquiry-based curriculum I am preparing
    -Get parents more involved
    -Start working toward my Master's Degree in cross-cultural education

16. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 2, 2011

I'm finishing up my third year and I enjoyed teaching much more this year...I know next year will even be better! :D

These are my plans for next year:

1) Keep working on Daily 5/reader's workshop approach.

2) Have students self-reflect more.

3) Make sure I do more modeling with my students.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

I like that idea! Since I'll actually have a ton of storage space next year I think I might just make a pm binder for each student and have all the copies of their reading, math, and writing ready so each friday they just have to grab the next probes. I can also keep a copy of their goals in there and have a section for anything anecdotal that I want to save or work samples or anything like that. Hello organization!

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

I'm looking forward to having a third year--I switched grades after my second, so never really had that experience. Next year will be my third year in 3rd, so I'm really looking forward to having a better handle on things (plus, this year I added Daily 5 in reading and we got new math curriculum, so there was a lot of new stuff--I'm excited to really have a handle on 'what' I'm teaching, so I can better focus on the 'how')

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 2, 2011

- This summer I want to write some unit plans in UBD. I want everything written out and designed for at least 4 units.
    - Next year, I want to use more PEAK strategies in class.
    - Incorporate grammar better - I've bounced between implicit instruction/whole learning. I need a better balance.
    - Improve my record keeping (for discipline, anyway)

20. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 2, 2011

I started working on stuff for next year today!
    1. My big focus with all of my classes next year is integrating more checking for understanding.
    2. With my 8th graders, I am going to integrate more review days for the state test throughout the year, rather than just 3 weeks before the state test.
    3. For my 7th graders, I need to hook them early in the year and am in the process of obtaining more activities that would help that process.

This is my 14th year of teaching, so at this point in the game, I look for tweaks, modifications, and better things to do with the kids. My way of presenting the information and getting them to remember what I teach them is solid.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 2, 2011

1. Cover topics more efficiently - I find I get stalled and then things drag on and students lose interest before they really understand the material

2. More "real world" projects in math

3. Better managed Literature Circles

4. Wrap my head around "Words Their Way"

22. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

May 2, 2011

As I finish my 5th year I know I've grown in my below-grade-level resources and interventions because this is the first year I've had a class with HALF of them below in all the domains of reading (phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension) and writing (content and conventions). So in addition to continuing to research best practices for my EC students, voila.

Goals for year 6:

1. Get better organized...Mopar, this was supposed to be perfected in year 2? Sheesh, I'm way behind!:eek:hmy:
    2. Recruit upper grade "helpers" to work with students who need mods during my whole-group instruction, but can't read simple game directions and stay OFF-TASK unless someone watches them!
    3. Get parent volunteers to commit to 1 specific day instead of saying "come when you can" because they never come if I say that!
    4. Do some "team teaching" with a buddy teammate to switch it up a bit/keep it fresh for the kiddos (i.e. swapping science labs every 3 labs so I don't have to "think up" 6 alone)
    5. Add blank sections on my lesson plans for 1visual 2tactile and 3auditory learning styles so I can notice which ones I don't touch on often enough.
    6. Find a way to keep my table clean!
    7. Commit to sending home graded/checked work weekly.
    8. Grade and record tests while students turn them in so I won't create a pile.
    9. Use less paper in every way possible.
    10. Laminate a HW chart that stays the same all year (I have a very free HW plan with lots of choices so it won't get boring). I waste 23 copies per week on just HW charts.
    11. Stick to classroom routines no matter what seems more important at the time (Question of the Day, Progress Monitoring, Small Group Rotations).
    12. Somehow find time to check HW as a class so I don't have to create a pile and sulk when I have to check it ALL myself later on!

23. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

May 2, 2011

I would LOVE to get better at managing my literature circles, but I find it almost impossible since we have a mandated reading series (Imagine It) and a short amount of time to cover this anyway. When we have review weeks and do not do a story from Imagine It, I get SO MUCH DONE in my room: more grammar, poetry, reading group time, vocabulary instruction, fun stuff...

If I had class novel sets right now that would be the only way I could stick with the reading groups. 1 big novel study and we could do literature circle roles, graphic organizers, projects like dioramas, etc. I know I can do this with Imagine It but the stories are too hard (3rd and 4th grade level). I would love novel sets at an actual 2nd grade level. It is so hard to meet with groups when you have more than 5 different groups (3 groups does NOT work with all the various levels in my class!)

I think maybe next year I will do just 2 big groups. Group 1 - On/above grade level to read a 2nd grade level book/texts and Group 2 - Below grade level to read a 1st grade level book/texts. Above grade level kids will have modified assignments for the books that are on grade level (higher level questions, advanced projects that involve inquiry and research, etc.) Our school does AR so they get to read/test books on their level through that. But I have a 4th grade level reader who still gets confused sometimes with information found in 2nd grade level books (vocabulary he's not familiar with, expressions used by the character, etc...so he still learns from on-grade level material).

I'm really not worried about behavior with a group of 10 or so because we'll just be in a circle on the rug and Group 2 will be doing an independent activity/seat work (fluency practice, spelling word sorts, vocabulary work, sight word practice, handwriting practice, and other hands-on activities) until time to switch. I have VERY good class management and the main problems I have with off-task and playful/chatty students is when I am working with a small group and they are in groups by themselves...or even at their desks! I hardly have any problems when we are on the rug or at desks during whole group.

Anyway, I could then be sure to meet with everyone everyday. Any who are too low to work in the low group will (fingers crossed) have separate FCRR games and activities to practice phonics and fluency with either parent volunteers or upper grade buddies to help them understand directions. I have two 4th graders who come to do this now with 2 of my EC and it has helped so much! My EC know they cannot click onto the wrong games on the computer while I'm teaching and can't do "half-tailed" work either!

I'd try this for the rest of this year but I don't have more than 6 copies of any of my novels/picture books. They do so much better when they have their own copies of books. I could try it with Imagine It but again, the stories are too above level...we just do those whole group.

And yes, I know this sounds great in theory. But what do I have to lose? Haven't got it right yet so it's worth a try!

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 2, 2011

Today I was thinking about this while in a meeting. I have to add more:

-Find a way to do a weekly newsletter-I know this does not seem hard but I just can't seem to find a easy way to just get it done. I need an extremely easy template.

-Create some sort of homework packet that I give out on Monday for the week. I would like a homework chart for the week that the students know what to expect

-Again organization of files and manipulatives

-Utilize classroom volunteers more-just like Passionateacher above said. I need someone who can come in weekly to laminate, make copies, etc...

25. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

May 2, 2011

I just thought of something else!

Give a spelling word pretest on Mondays. Students who get 100% only have to test on the 5 challenge words on Friday. Everyone else studies during the week for HW and retakes the test on Friday.

The pretest will go home every week (they will switch papers and check each other's work or their own with a colored pencil so they can't change answers...rewrite correct spelling in color so they have the word correctly spelled to study).

I will no longer need to type up the spelling words each week---which will help me save paper as I won't need to keep updating and printing the HW chart!

Now, as for the reminders that are for parents to read each week, not sure how to get out of having to print those. It would be too much for students to copy...oh wait---maybe I can just print out a MONTHLY calendar and go ahead and fill in all the dates that things are due/events are occurring! The calendar could stay in their HW binders so I can adjust (or have students do it) or add to as needed!

Hmmm, I can start that for this year since May just started...:cool:

26. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

May 2, 2011

Year 5

Next year I'm going to use the basal as little as humanly possible and stick with what I know is best, which is teaching with real books. We unfortunately adopted another basal this year and I've felt really tied to it. Next year I'm going back to D5 and workshop!

Our pacing guide in math takes off at break-neck speed and my goal is to incorporate more guided math to really reach all of my learners. With district guidelines the majority of the instruction is whole group and it's just not doing it for my students...or me.

WRITING!! This is a large goal of mine for next year. I really need to set aside time every day to write. This is a definite weakness of mine. I look forward to getting back to D5 and workshop in order to connect reading to writing.

I'm going into year 5, with one grade change and I finally feel like I'm organized enough. I'm looking at another possible grade change, just down to 4th, in hopes of that being the last move I make for a long while. Either way, organization and maintaining current grades is always on the list. Grading can take over!

I'm already looking forward to next year and this one is nowhere near finished. :)

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

Can you elaborate on your "culturally relevant inquiry-based curriculum"? What aspects will it involve? What areas does it explore? I love culture, and I think our students benefit greatly when exposed to different cultures.

28. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 2, 2011

Year 3:

Branch out from my teammates in a few areas (be brave enough to do my own thing sometimes)

Simplify weekly homework

Better organization (I'm hoping moving rooms will help me clean out some of the black holes in my shelves)

Continue developing math small groups that work - I do really well first semester, and when we hit regrouping, I revert to more whole group for a while, until we move on to measurement, geometry, graphs, etc. that lend themselves better to small group

29. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

May 2, 2011

TamiJ, by "culturally-relevant" I meant relevant to my children's culture. The children I teach are Yup'ik Eskimo and live in a rural village. Thus, I won't teach units on farm animals, for example, which are foreign to my kids. Instead, I'm developing units around 3 major topics: My People, My Stories, My Natural World.

We'll research each of the topics through stories, interviews with people in the community, and field research.

For example, when we study local transportation, we'll get a KWL chart going and investigate everything under the "W" section. We'll read informational books, interview someone local who works on snowmobiles, four-wheelers, or boats (main methods of transport out here) and have him actually show us all the tools and parts he uses. All the while, we'll be doing reading, writing & math activities based on this theme, and also exploring it through play.

This way of teaching is awesome for my ELL kids, because it's so motivating and great for building vocabularies!

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

I love it! Good job at recognizing the needs of your students, and aiming to improve your curriculum to meet their needs. It sounds brilliant!

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2011

It'll be easier since I'll be starting the year here:

~I have several different grade levels in my room, so I want to work with each grade level on their subject. NOT make everyone do the same thing.

~Set up my room differently.

~come up with more project-based assignments.

32. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

May 3, 2011

Do one lesson from Grammar Moves per week.

Correct a student paragraph on the board every day.

MODEL writing process! Why can't I do this? I need to practice at home or something.

Start a year-long Spelling Bee prep program and have my students participate in the CO State Bee.

Teach American Lit! Yay!

SERIOUSLY incorporate paperless classroom using our Google Apps.

33. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

May 3, 2011

thanks Tami J!

34. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 3, 2011

Love people who plan, Tami........:hugs:

From the day I left college I lived by this philosophy:

Plan your work...... and work your plan!

35. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

May 3, 2011

Next year is Year 2 for me and my goals definitely revolve around organization. I'm fairly organized on a day-to-day basis, but I just mean settling in. I have all my lessons for the year but I need a way to make them more smooth, more efficient. I felt like every.single.day this year was just about surviving -- now I want to have time to really reach my kids and help them more! I was NOT the teacher I wanted to be this year -- I got great evaluations and everyone says I'm doing good -- but I know I can do better.