Goal for 2019-2020

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 16, 2019.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2019

I’m all about setting an attainable goal for myself each year that’ll help me be a better leader.

This year, my goal is to improve staff morale by recognizing teacher and support staff achievements—whether it’s a shout out in the Monday Memo or a quick note in their mailbox.

I read a quote that really resonated with me: “A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected”.

What’s your goal for the new school year? I go back to work on Monday, so I’m getting mentally prepared.

3. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 16, 2019

Yep, too bad my district doesn't see that.

My goal is to survive and get to May and be closer to being vested.

ecteach, futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 16, 2019

I wish my current principal would have these goals. I'm sorry to say but this past year we got a principal who is condescending, demeaning, not a good leader, not receptive to suggestions or change, and doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't know what we're doing (independent study teachers) and is afraid of making any decisions. He treats women much worse than men. None of us feel appreciated.
    His boss got fired for his mistakes (and she was a great leader and very well liked, because she appreciated us), we have 1 teacher quit (without even a job lined up) and 2 teachers asked to be reassigned to a different school. Actually for 1 position 4 teachers asked. (we're a small school with not that many teachers, so this is a big turnover. I think we're still looking to fill 2 positions.

So my goal this year is to focus on my job, enjoy my students and stay away from him as much as possible, which were the same goals last year lol. I do stand up for myself when I feel talked down to or mistreated and I did that last year, I just can't help myself, so we bumped heads along the way, but I don't care.
    Having said that I will be very happy to go back to work, and now knowing the situation I won't be confused or feeling stupid when he talks down to me (he's a narcissist so he's very manipulative).

I think the most important trait of a leader is to lead his people, and that can only be done by appreciating them, earning their respect because the leader is competent and decisive. But appreciation, true, genuine appreciation goes a long way, people will do anything for you.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2019

My goal is to successfully transition into first grade after several years working with 2-5. I’m excited for the change, but the little ones make me a tad nervous.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2019

I am going to be transitioning to a new position. My goal is to stay positive since I know the transition will be tough & to improve my classroom management skills. I also want to create more fun + engaging lessons for the kids.

I also want to have a more organized classroom. I am going to be spending some $ this year on quality storage containers with lids, etc. so my classroom can be more organized. I used a ton of stuff from the dollar tree to organize this year and I realized I needed less things to organize, but better quality.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 16, 2019

My goal is to make sure I'm only doing MY job and not doing everyone else's jobs. People tend to not do what they're supposed to do and it trickles down to me. Well, no more. Sorry, Charlie! Do you job!! I have enough to do.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 16, 2019

I want to increase and personalize parent communication.

9. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 16, 2019

Some of you all on here I wish I could meet for a drink one day! I swear I used to wonder if this went on at other people's schools!

ecteach, Tired Teacher and CherryOak like this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 16, 2019

We have one like that except he wants to micromanage and make ALL the decisions!

ecteach and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 16, 2019

I can't get vested soon enough!

ecteach likes this.
  12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2019

How long does it take to get vested where you are at?

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 16, 2019

Same here. I'm back to work Monday, too. Just based on the emails I've gotten while away, there's so much to be done. I think my biggest goal since this will be my first year as VP I really just want to try and have a successful year for our students and staff.

ecteach likes this.
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2019

The work is never done!

15. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jul 16, 2019

I aim to really strengthen my reading instruction. I am going to enjoy not being a first-year anymore. Granted, a second year is not much, but I will like loosing the label.

ecteach, readingrules12 and bella84 like this.
  16. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 16, 2019

8 years, pension starts age 60.

ecteach likes this.